Retirement Goodbyes (letters, e-mails or speeches)

oldupsman

I tried to turn in all my old Browns but my center Manager at the time said "What the friend did he want with all that?" (I had a mountain of stuff) so I took it all home and burned it in my retirement party bon-fire. It all went up in smoke except for my socks (drivers at my party wanted them).

Threw out all the shirts but kept the pants. I use them for work around the house. When they wear out I
throw them out and use the next pair. I have enough to last the rest of my life.

twoweeled

Threw out all the shirts but kept the pants. I use them for work around the house. When they wear out I
throw them out and use the next pair. I have enough to last the rest of my life.
Good for painting! Use them soon. You may find them quickly shrinking on their own.
i-dont-know.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Good for painting! Use them soon. You may find them quickly shrinking on their own.
i-dont-know.jpg

I saved 2 shirts I was going to use for painting. When we built our house in 2004 we painted every room and not once did I wear a UPS shirt. I though about it but would start to get a queasy feeling in my stomach just thinking about putting a UPS shirt back on. They are still buried in the back of my closet---I think.

The Milkman

You sound just like me and my case leaving. I looked at UPS as a hell hole in the last years. I some good times in the first years, but the last few were just filled with a bunch of trivial crap flying around, looking for someone's face to land on. Nit picking and looking for the next super important act to bitch about. Followed by; well that's the way it's always been. It wasn't too difficult to look down the road and see where we are headed, and it isn't good for anyone - except for the people near the very top. The pride in the company is scarce, soon to become extinct. Only the very new, will brag about the company, and mean it. But that won't last long. As soon as the newby learns what is really happening, what's expected, what loyalty he'll experience for accomplishing the expected. He'll start to realize, there's no love in this place. Love being synonymous with loyalty in my context. He'll probably realize too late to do anything about it. Old timers (if he meets any) will tell him about the way it was, and it'll probably be like trying to explain Einstein's theory of relativity to a 10 year old - He may really wanna understand it, but just too difficult to understand or believe.
And as you alluded too. No one is missing me either. Well all said or thought: good riddance! It was a damn good company. We were able to adapt to virtually anything and everything, to get what had to be done, DONE! It was was freaky well oiled machine. All the cogs had a mind to calculate and solve on their own, along with the will to do so. Now all the cogs act according to a main processor. Many have realized, it's best not to contribute (because you'll only be told why your wrong) but just to do as your told, right or wrong. The processor processes wrong and sends out the wrong information - well all the cogs will act on that wrong/bad call.
Although I'm one of a few conveying these thoughts, rest assured there are more than a few who view it the same way. Right or wrong, the adage; perception is reality, carries a lot of weight in this context (as in most context).
I wonder where the company will be in 15 years? I wonder if there will still be uniforms? I doubt it! It was a good company!! But I don't miss it one iota.
Not one!!! Says a lot to me!

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!