Retirement, Last day and a funny story

union4life

Congrats on you retirement!

In my little center we had our first driver retire a few years ago. Nothing was said or done and he went about his day and walked away that night. Two weeks later, he walked into the center and everyone was happy to see him. We asked what he was doing back and he replied "beats me, management asked me to come in for a little recognition". The center manager was late to the PCM and the part-timers had eaten the doughnuts that were brought in. The center manager said "I think there are a couple of doughnuts left John, John?, Johhhnnn?,"....John had left and said he had never been so humiliated in all his life.

Don't ever come back once you walk away.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I retired at the end of last month and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Retirement at 55 is wonderful. Full pension, health care etc.

My last day I wouldn't take a cake after the way I've been treated so I'm on the road and I get a message from my center manager asking me if he can buy me lunch. I would prefer not to but being a decent person I said ok. We agreed to a time to meet and I get there and wait. He's late and when he shows up he asks me how much it's going to cost. I tell him it depends where we are going. He says he doesn't have time and asks if ten bucks is enough. I was dumbfounded. Nearly thirty-seven years and I don't get a sit down lunch with my center manager. He gives me the ten and I go to lunch.

It's a classy place.
When I first read this, I thought the center manager was really a P.O.S.!! Then I thought about it and have to tell you................you are so lucky to have worked for a place where you can retire at 55! Think of it, 55!!!! You were paid well all your career. You are young enough to still watch all your friends go to work every day for 10 more years. If anything, you should probably have pity for that center manager who doesn't have a minute to spare because of the demands of his job.

And lunch ???.......you can have lunch with your wife everyday........and you can have it at whatever time you want to have it. You can skip lunch if you want to. .......that happens sometimes when you have a big breakfast at IHOP. You and the Mrs. can go out for coffee and just chat. You can have a WEEKDAY tee time. You can enjoy Christmas. You should be feeling like a kid in a toy/candy store.

I hope you and your wife have good health, good times and good luck in your retirement. Enjoy, enjoy!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

moreluck, you should have gone with your first instinct--the center manager is a POS. While everything that you say is true, there is something to be said for a supervisor who takes the time to genuinely thank those about to retire for their years of service.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
moreluck, you should have gone with your first instinct--the center manager is a POS. While everything that you say is true, there is something to be said for a supervisor who takes the time to genuinely thank those about to retire for their years of service.

Old-Timer or Dinosaur?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
very true, its a diff company now, sad really

Catatonic

Nine Lives
very true, its a diff company now, sad really

One has to adapt to changes ... it does no good to dwell on the past.

You have to make the best out of the current conditions and create a mindset that makes it best for you.

At least that is how I approach it.

old levi's

blank space
One has to adapt to changes ... it does no good to dwell on the past.

You have to make the best out of the current conditions and create a mindset that makes it best for you.

At least that is how I approach it.

So, if the river is at your chin, get on your tiptoes, and smile.

Congratulations Randy I've learned a thing or two from you in my years I worked with you. The things that I've seen and heard you do are truly genius. This man is funny evil and smart all rolled together. When I say in my posts that I get mad when guys like him retire it's because today's drivers lack what Randy has always had a lot of. He is a true character with more charisma and imagination than ten driver from today's generation.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Congratulations, The company may not appreciate you but come to your next Union meeting and get your retirement gift!! You sound like a great man, I wish I had the opportunity to know you!!

Congratulations, The company may not appreciate you but come to your next Union meeting and get your retirement gift!! You sound like a great man, I wish I had the opportunity to know you!!
I grew up in a center with countless ups legends like Randy. You would truly feel sorry for the other (management) side. Man would bring a banjo to work play Alvin and the Chipmonks for his helpers. Wait fir a train for twenty minutes with his on car sup then cross the tracks and take a ten minute break. Sup got so mad he left the truck and walked through a cornfield called for a ride and just gave up. I am truly lucky 407 has had a long line of old school characters like him.

thessalonian13

I retired at the end of last month and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Retirement at 55 is wonderful. Full pension, health care etc.

My last day I wouldn't take a cake after the way I've been treated so I'm on the road and I get a message from my center manager asking me if he can buy me lunch. I would prefer not to but being a decent person I said ok. We agreed to a time to meet and I get there and wait. He's late and when he shows up he asks me how much it's going to cost. I tell him it depends where we are going. He says he doesn't have time and asks if ten bucks is enough. I was dumbfounded. Nearly thirty-seven years and I don't get a sit down lunch with my center manager. He gives me the ten and I go to lunch.

It's a classy place.
I plan to call in sick on my last day of work and play golf.

hypocrisy

Banned
Congratulations on your retirement. I still look up your "least best" story when I need a pick-me-up to help deal with the constant incompetence at UPS (and pass it on to others).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I plan to call in sick on my last day of work and play golf.

Then it won't be your last day of work.

Technically it will be... I will be paid a sick day for playing golf.

Is this really the way that you want to wrap up a 30 year (or more) career? I would think that you would want to leave the same way that you came to work each day.

Hoke, I just have one question for you---Are you telling us that, if on your last day, after a 37 year career, your supervisor did not shake your hand and thank you for your years of service, that you wouldn't feel just a bid jaded?

brownelf

Congrats on your retirement, doesn't surprise me at all the way you were treated on your last day. Our center manager has asked the last few guys to come back weeks after their last day of work for the recognition (cake,ect) then wonders why they tell him no thanx. Remember when they sent you out light on your last day(if at all) so you could say goodbye to everyone on the route? Our last guy to retire a few weeks ago was dispatched w/10+hrs on his last day. Half expected him to walk out that day, as his wife had planned a party for him when he got home from work. But he just made a call to her and said he was gonna be working late for the last time, and he would be home as soon as possible. What a class act, unlike our present center manager.