Retirement, Last day and a funny story

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoke, I just have one question for you---Are you telling us that, if on your last day, after a 37 year career, your supervisor did not shake your hand and thank you for your years of service, that you wouldn't feel just a bid jaded?

The people I report to already do that and I have no plans to retire anytime soon (what's up with that?).
A person retiring with 25 years or more in my function are recognized very well. And from what I can see, in the surrounding functions/departments as well.

I think you are asking me to put myself in the position of a driver that has worked for UPS for 37 years and did not get any recognition ... I will try.

Yeah, I would feel a bit jaded and maybe bitter but I would not feel surprised. I would remember the days back when before 1997 that when a driver retired, we actually would have an after hours retirement party for that driver (maybe a Saturday BBQ) and 4 or 5 drivers would come by and take 7, 8 or 10 stops each from the driver and management would turn a blind eye to it. I remember when the BA would come by from the Union and thank the driver prior to start time and the PCM and I remember when the driver would say a few words about his/her (okay it was a he) time at UPS.

I have lots of good memories of the time when I was a driver and the couple of people that retired and these are also memories I have when I was a center manager and in operations management and a driver retired.

I guess I am an Old-Timer or a Dinosaur.

The people I report to already do that and I have no plans to retire anytime soon (what's up with that?).
A person retiring with 25 years or more in my function are recognized very well. And from what I can see, in the surrounding functions/departments as well.

I think you are asking me to put myself in the position of a driver that has worked for UPS for 37 years and did not get any recognition ... I will try.

Yeah, I would feel a bit jaded and maybe bitter but I would not feel surprised. I would remember the days back when before 1997 that when a driver retired, we actually would have an after hours retirement party for that driver (maybe a Saturday BBQ) and 4 or 5 drivers would come by and take 7, 8 or 10 stops each from the driver and management would turn a blind eye to it. I remember when the BA would come by from the Union and thank the driver prior to start time and the PCM and I remember when the driver would say a few words about his/her (okay it was a he) time at UPS.

I have lots of good memories of the time when I was a driver and the couple of people that retired and these are also memories I have when I was a center manager and in operations management and a driver retired.

I guess I am an Old-Timer or a Dinosaur.
Those days are dead now.

leastbest

LeastBest
Don't want to beat a dead horse but after the way I was treated my last few years it doesn't feel like a pension, more like reparations.

A

anonymous6

do you really care what a manager thinks or does on your last day? if you do then I feel sorry for you.

what really matters is how your peers think of you. if they respect you then you are a success.

op

over9five

Staff member
do you really care what a manager thinks or does on your last day?

Not so much one manager, but the company you've worked hard for, sacrificed your personal life for, and bled for for thirty years SHOULD recognize your efforts on that last day.

And that idiot manager does represent that company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just curious ... what does the Teamsters do to recognize a driver retiree at work on the last day?

Seems like the Teamsters should be even more grateful for all the dues the driver retiree paid them over the years. Just saying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Teamsters show their apprecition by making sure the first pension check is direct deposited on time the following month.:wink2:

Our BA makes it a point to be at as many retirement ceremonies as he can; however, he covers three centers so he can't be in 3 places at the same time.

Just curious ... what does the Teamsters do to recognize a driver retiree at work on the last day?

Seems like the Teamsters should be even more grateful for all the dues the driver retiree paid them over the years. Just saying.

Like Upstate said, our BA is always there if possible, whatever stewards at that time of day are there, and their fellow drivers are there. At our building the driver has a choice of cake or pizza for the group. Their spouse gets a bouquet of roses. And if their kids are present I have seen them given those feeder diecasts from the UPS catalog. A few times I`ve even seen them allowed to give them a ride around the building in their rig.

thessalonian13

Is this really the way that you want to wrap up a 30 year (or more) career? I would think that you would want to leave the same way that you came to work each day.

Hoke, I just have one question for you---Are you telling us that, if on your last day, after a 37 year career, your supervisor did not shake your hand and thank you for your years of service, that you wouldn't feel just a bid jaded?
I will be leaving on a most happy note... Getting paid while playing golf.... My managers won"t notice or care if I work on my last day.

rod

Retired 22 years

I can't say that the Teamsters reps were there on my last day but I will say I got 3 nice "parting " gifts shipped to me the 1st week I was retired. I received a real nice tri-fold billfold with an embosed "Retired Teamster" label on it, a set of "Retired Teamster" liscense plates holders for my pickup and a nice "Retired Teamster" pen and pencil set. Let's see----- from UPS I got--------------------------squat. And the 1st of every month I still receive the best parting gift of all-----let's see I've been retired 10 years and 3 months now so that adds up to $369,000 in pension -- not counting the medical bennys. Thank-you Teamsters!!!!!!!!! P.S. I assure you my dues didn't add up to anywhere near that. I hope the company treats you as well when you decide to pull the plug.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can't say that the Teamsters reps were there on my last day but I will say I got 3 nice "parting " gifts shipped to me the 1st week I was retired. I received a real nice tri-fold billfold with an embosed "Retired Teamster" label on it, a set of "Retired Teamster" liscense plates holders for my pickup and a nice "Retired Teamster" pen and pencil set. Let's see----- from UPS I got--------------------------squat. And the 1st of every month I still receive the best parting gift of all-----let's see I've been retired 10 years and 3 months now so that adds up to $369,000 in pension -- not counting the medical bennys. Thank-you Teamsters!!!!!!!!! P.S. I assure you my dues didn't add up to anywhere near that. I hope the company treats you as well when you decide to pull the plug.

Don't forget UPS since they paid for your pension and health benefits.

And BTW, my pension will be more and my health and welfare coverage will cost me nothing other than the co-pays.

So no one from the Teamsters cared enough to show up and recognize you on your last day and they didn't have a cake or pizza for you or take you to lunch? Hmmmm

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't forget UPS since they paid for your pension and health benefits.

And BTW, my pension will be more and my health and welfare coverage will cost me nothing other than the co-pays.

So no one from the Teamsters cared enough to show up and recognize you on your last day and they didn't have a cake or pizza for you or take you to lunch? Hmmmm

Thats if you ever retire---------Don't you have like 36 years in now. Whats the hold up? Don't be one of those holdons they find slumped over his desk in his cubical on a Tuesday after they realize he has been dead since the previous Friday and nobody even noticed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats if you ever retire---------Don't you have like 36 years in now. Whats the hold up? Don't be one of those holdons they find slumped over his desk in his cubical on a Tuesday after they realize he has been dead since the previous Friday and nobody even noticed.

It is 38 years and I stay with UPS because I find my work interesting and challenging.

If Obama is defeated, I will probably retire in 2013 at 58. That is still to young to quit working so I will be doing something else within 6 months.

I am working on setting up a photography business which I will also find interesting ... even more than UPS I think.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Care to elaborate on the "if Obama is defeated..." part?

o - My belief is that if Obama is defeated that the Repubs will have control of both houses of Congress.

o - At that point, there will be changes in the massive spending of the Federal government and the economy will begin to recover.

o - The debt will begin to be reduced and inflation will be kept in check.

x - If Obama is re-elected the Repubs will still probably control both houses or at least teh House.

x - There will continue to be stalemate in the government and debt will continue to accumulate and inflation will be inevitable regardless of of the Feds policies or actions. This will be in line with the policies of the Carter administration and consistent with the Democrats base of voters.

x - That means that people with accumulated wealth and on fixed annuities will be the ones that suffer. This is my situation.

I welcome thoughtful feedback on the above (without the stupid, insidious political BS from the Current Events forum).