Retirement, Last day and a funny story

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Wasn't it Dick Cheney who stated "Deficits don't matter"?
I don't think it matters whom is in control of the Whitehouse or congress. Sadly, I see this country running deficits for years to come.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
o - My belief is that if Obama is defeated that the Repubs will have control of both houses of Congress.

o - At that point, there will be changes in the massive spending of the Federal government and the economy will begin to recover.

o - The debt will begin to be reduced and inflation will be kept in check.
The last time the republicans controlled the executive and both houses of the legislature pretty much the opposite happened, ie, federal government grew, spending increased, and the debt went up. They talk a good game when they're out of power but when they're in charge it's another story.

x - If Obama is re-elected the Repubs will still probably control both houses or at least teh House.

x - There will continue to be stalemate in the government and debt will continue to accumulate and inflation will be inevitable regardless of of the Feds policies or actions. This will be in line with the policies of the Carter administration and consistent with the Democrats base of voters.

x - That means that people with accumulated wealth and on fixed annuities will be the ones that suffer. This is my situation.

I welcome thoughtful feedback on the above (without the stupid, insidious political BS from the Current Events forum).

I thing you're underestimating the coattail effect. If Obama is re-elected the most likely scenario is that the dems keep the senate and gain seats in the house, although probably not enough to gain control of the house. Other than that I don't really disagree with the likely effects as the republicans are pretty good at blocking legislation even in the minority. I believe taxes will go up regardless of who wins the election because with the hole we've dug ourselves and the political reality of cutting entitlements (it ain't gonna happen) there really is no other option and yes, that means the wealthy will pay more (though I don't know how much they will actually suffer) but so will the rest of us.

I also think there is a high probability of this thread getting moved to current events, despite your good intentions :happy-very:

leastbest

LeastBest
o - My belief is that if Obama is defeated that the Repubs will have control of both houses of Congress.

o - At that point, there will be changes in the massive spending of the Federal government and the economy will begin to recover.

o - The debt will begin to be reduced and inflation will be kept in check.

x - If Obama is re-elected the Repubs will still probably control both houses or at least teh House.

x - There will continue to be stalemate in the government and debt will continue to accumulate and inflation will be inevitable regardless of of the Feds policies or actions. This will be in line with the policies of the Carter administration and consistent with the Democrats base of voters.

x - That means that people with accumulated wealth and on fixed annuities will be the ones that suffer. This is my situation.

I welcome thoughtful feedback on the above (without the stupid, insidious political BS from the Current Events forum).

Thanks for staying on topic.

raceanoncr

Just curious ... what does the Teamsters do to recognize a driver retiree at work on the last day?

Seems like the Teamsters should be even more grateful for all the dues the driver retiree paid them over the years. Just saying.

The Teamsters show their apprecition by making sure the first pension check is direct deposited on time the following month.:wink2:

Our BA makes it a point to be at as many retirement ceremonies as he can; however, he covers three centers so he can't be in 3 places at the same time.

Hoax, good point. Didn't think about it til you mentioned this. My last day, exactly one year ago this last Sunday (25th), BA=MIA. Instructed center manager not to have big-wigs from upstairs (if they were so inclined, which I doubt) make big to-do, either. He obliged. Just local feeder Mangler and day supes. He DID order pizza for EVERYONE and I wanted to make sure night time drivers and incoming out-of-state drivers had plenty, which he made sure happened.

Upstate, not true here. UPS sends me my pension check, at least til 65, then Central States takes over (I just shuttered so severly that I fell off the chair).

hypocrisy

Banned
Back on topic:

This might be my last day if they treated me like Leastbest.

Our department gets a cake for our retirees if they want one, some just leave without fanfare. Since our start times are 24/7 it's impossible to get everyone together but some have after parties. For the centers, our BA's attend when possible and the Center management have started having refreshments again. I attend too, even though I may have to take a day off or be coming off a 14 hour day.