Retro check overpaid

Casey651

So I found out last night UPS screwed up and over paid me on my retro check and now wants me to pay them back $549 wtf so what now i get to work for almost nothing the next 4 weeks

Satuirus2000

These mistakes are a MASSIVE screw up on UPS's part, but how did some not know they were overpaid? It's one thing if it was $30 or so, but some were overpaid by $300-400! Did none of you actually go online and calculate your hours? That's a big difference. At least you would have been more prepared for a garnishment instead of being taken totally by surprise. Still, you all have my sympathy. Part timers don't make enough as it is, so to have even $10-20 taken out of a check is a big blow.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So I found out last night UPS screwed up and over paid me on my retro check and now wants me to pay them back $549 wtf so what now i get to work for almost nothing the next 4 weeks

File a grievance to protest that.

Make the company, prove their case. Mistakes are made.

With a grievance being filed.... it might give you a chance of payroll deductions.

And they can't start the deductions, until the grievance is adjudicated.

-Bug-

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yes, file a grievance and STOP any deductions immediately. FORCE UPS to prove to you with a breakdown the error. Here in So cal, they have ERR'd on all our part timers and are asking for money back.

Typical UPS screw up and shame on the TEAMSTERS for putting us into this mess.

No accounting for our hours, and it SHOULDNT be our responsibility to calculate anything. UPS should have shown us an hourly breakdown and the calculations that go along with it.

Maybe if UPS had done their job correctly, we wouldnt have to do the work for them.

TOS

Indecisi0n

Demand it not be taken out of your paycheck. Tell them you can't afford to pay it back in one lump sum and instead setup a payment plan of .01 a week.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Demand it not be taken out of your paycheck. Tell them you can't afford to pay it back in one lump sum and instead setup a payment plan of .01 a week.

Deliberately, being facetious.

Ok.

There are.... the intellectually challenged.... that read this Forum.

-Bug-

Bottom rung

Here's what I have a problem with. Employee gets a check for $1300 gross $900 net. employee is overpaid by $850 according to ups. Check should be $500 gross So the employee pays back 850 and gets to keep $50 of their $500 check?
The company is allowing it to be deducted from multiple pay periods, I haven't a clue how many though.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here's what I have a problem with. Employee gets a check for $1300 gross $900 net. employee is overpaid by $850 according to ups. Check should be $500 gross So the employee pays back 850 and gets to keep $50 of their $500 check?
The company is allowing it to be deducted from multiple pay periods, I haven't a clue how many though.
Did the overpayment letter address how the taxes that were withheld on the overpayment would be handled?

Until the company has "officially" notified the employee in writing....

Any issue, is moot.

-Bug-

Casey651

image.jpg
This is what they gave me

Bottom rung

So you get to keep $16 of a what should be $565 check? and the rest goes to that crook uncle sam? way to go payroll. They can get the money back from the government have the employee pay back all monies and completely re issue the checks but that's probably too much work.

Casey651

The top is the $1,114 they paid me when they said i should have gotten $565 so i gotta pay back $549 but i paid taxes on $1,114 so wheres the extra i back i paid in taxes

Bottom rung

The top is the $1,114 they paid me when they said i should have gotten $565 so i gotta pay back $549 but i paid taxes on $1,114 so wheres the extra i back i paid in taxes
Exactly, that just goes to show that the company doesn't care about us at all. Just as long as they get theirs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Until the company has "officially" notified the employee in writing....

Any issue, is moot.

-Bug-

They notified over ten in writing that I know of yesterday. They want them to sign papers allowing payroll deductions.

Again.... file a grievance.

This is what they gave me.

Again.... file a grievance.

If the company is right.... you have nothing to lose.

And, they are always "right" on everything. :biggrin:

-Bug-