Retro check tax rate

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by laffter, May 2, 2014.

1. laffter

laffter Active Member

Last week, my part time sup, during our PCM, mentioned that he heard our back-pay would be taxed at 40%. In another thread, here, I read that it would be taxed at the normal rate.

Does anyone have any factual information about this?

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

IBT said in the letter anouncing agreement that it would be taxed at regular rates. UPSers says same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

This stuff drives me crazy. Look at this chart. Most of us are taxed between 15 to 28 percent. It seems more because the numbers go up on big checks.

[​IMG]

4. Dragon

Dragon Package Center Manager

Taxed at your regular rate, I went thru a presentation today.
    If you have any garnishments that are percentage of your weekly check that will also come out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Too bad we cant put It all in our 401k. Just like option week or personal days

6. That's awesome

7. You can change it for a while to off set it.

8. [quote Mr. Bojangles, post: 1319267, member: 52022"]You can change it for a while to off set it.[/quote]
    I understand that. Just do not understand,why that option wasnt given.

9. I understand that. Just do not understand,why that option wasnt given.[/quote]
    Me either.

10. Me either.[/quote]
    If we had that option, alot of people who dont add to their 401k, might put this retro money In. they made it this far without the money...why not put it in?

11. If we had that option, alot of people who dont add to their 401k, might put this retro money In. they made it this far without the money...why not put it in?[/quote] I agree. People need help saving their money. That's for sure.

12. Wally

Call HR. Maybe payroll can do that?

13. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

If we had that option, alot of people who dont add to their 401k, might put this retro money In. they made it this far without the money...why not put it in?[/quote]
    I'm going to go ask my wife if I can put it in.

14. Kae3106

Kae3106 Active Member

Here's a link to an online paycheck calculator. You can enter the wage amount and then tweak the taxes and deductions to see the effect on the net pay. http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...l-calculators/hourly-paycheck-calculator.aspx

15. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Putting the retro in my 401k would be like a rain drop in the ocean. Lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

16. I'm going to go ask my wife if I can put it in.[/quote]
    Just going to add my retro check to my roth IRA and I bumped up my 401k another percent.

17. Quigley

Quigley Active Member

I'm going to spend mine on beer and hookers.

18. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Active Member

Its never that easy :)

19. Cheap hookers and good beer! I assume?

20. Wally

Not necessarily in that order either!