retro checks and your 401k.

purplesky

Yeah $17500 is a nice chunk but ups can put a stupid amount into our 401k for us. I would give up my pension for a large match. I know I know. No way it's gonna happen but i am one that would gladly do it.

I like the pension with the 401k because its just like an annuity and I can figure that set pension amount for life plus SS and my 401k and separate Roth IRA get the benefits of the markets.

Its steady income plus money in the stock market that can and will go many directions. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS allows you to sleep at night.:happy:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I
I like the pension with the 401k because its just like an annuity and I can figure that set pension amount for life plus SS and my 401k and separate Roth IRA get the benefits of the markets.

Its steady income plus money in the stock market that can and will go many directions. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS allows you to sleep at night.:happy:
I just don't trust anyone else with my retirement. If SS and my pension are there in 30 years awesome but I'm not banking on it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I put fifty percent of my Option Days into my 401K. It would be nice if we could put the whole retro paycheck into it as well.

purplesky

I

I just don't trust anyone else with my retirement. If SS and my pension are there in 30 years awesome but I'm not banking on it.

Yes looking ahead 30 years from 2014 is pretty wild considering how quickly technology is moving now.

Its all kind of a educated gamble dealing with Wallstreet and the world markets.

I am trying to buy stocks that I can go long with and its really crazy trying to pick companies that will hopefully be around and profitable in 25 years?

What will ATT,Verizon or Chevron or UPS,FDX or Facebook or Microsoft or Apple or Amazon or Walmart or Ford,GM or Southwest airlines or GE look like in a few decades?

The Teamsters pension is probably invested in all these companies or their competitors.

I am trying to use a bucket strategy to spread risk.

9.5er

Good call. I dropped mine down to 5% when we started saving for our new house a couple years ago. Forgot to bump it back up once house was built. Just changed it back to 15% like it was before.