Retro pay after termination or resignation

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer
Anyone know when UPS pays retro pay if an employee is terminated or resigns? Do they pay out immediately, since they are no longer an employee, or do they wait till the contract is ratified?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyone know when UPS pays retro pay if an employee is terminated or resigns? Do they pay out immediately, since they are no longer an employee, or do they wait till the contract is ratified?

This is an excellent question. Retroactive pay is paid for any hours worked between the end date of the previous contract and the ratification date of the new contract. For drivers, it will be $.70/hr for all hours worked at straight rate and $1.05/hr for all overtime hours. The NMA is a done deal so you would think that permanent employees no longer with the company would receive their retro upon separation but unfortunately this is not the case. You need to make sure that the address UPS has on file for you is your current one as your check will be mailed to you upon ratification.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My guess would be no since you did not work under the new contract, but everyone is just guessing here.

Are you saying no that he won't receive retro pay right away or no that he won't get any retro pay at all? If he worked even 1 hour on or after 1 Aug he will receive a check for retro pay.

upschuck

I guessing at all since he never worked under the contract that said he would get a raise. Contract has not passed yet, so none of us get the benefits, like pension increases until it does, and we work a day under it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guessing at all since he never worked under the contract that said he would get a raise. Contract has not passed yet, so none of us get the benefits, like pension increases until it does, and we work a day under it.

The ratification and effective dates of our contracts are normally the same day; however, this year it obviously will not be. The contract will be ratified with an effective date of Aug 1, 2013, and any hours worked on or after that date will be paid at the appropriate rate. You do not need to work a day under the new contract to receive retro pay.

Pension increases will be handled in the same manner.

kingOFchester

The ratification and effective dates of our contracts are normally the same day; however, this year it obviously will not be. The contract will be ratified with an effective date of Aug 1, 2013, and any hours worked on or after that date will be paid at the appropriate rate. You do not need to work a day under the new contract to receive retro pay.

Good points from both sides. The bold part is what makes me think that they may not receive retro pay.

We are currently working under the old contract. You leave UPS now, you left and severed all ties with UPS under the old contract. When the new contract finally goes into affect, it will be retro for all of us who are working. But that doesn't necessarily mean that those who are no longer employed once worked under then new contract.

Interesting question, I do not think any of us laborers will have a definitive answer, regardless how sure he/she is.

upschuck

Nobody really knows for sure is all I am saying. We shall see when it does finally passes.

UPSGUY72

The National contract HAS passed as a whole even though some local have voted it down also some local riders have not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Retroactive pay is pay which an employee is owed for work which has already been completed. It is often made up in the form of a lump sum in which the difference between what the employee was paid and what the employee should have been paid is made over in a check. Sometimes an agreement may be reached in which the employer disburses small payments with each paycheck until the difference has been made up. There are a number of reasons why people might be entitled to retroactive pay.

The most common reason for this situation to occur is ongoing labor negotiations. While negotiations are underway, the employer continues to pay employees at the established rate. When the negotiations are over, they may include a clause that employees are entitled to retroactive pay, starting on a set date, because part of the agreement includes a wage increase. The employer is required to make up the difference as part of the overall enactment of the agreement.

kingOFchester

The National contract HAS passed some local riders have not.
Does it really matter? UPS could very easily not pay. The union is not going to fight for an ex member. The ex-employee could sue, but would hardly be worth the effort. Perhaps a class action suit of some sort, but again it would not be worth it....for the lawyers anyway.

My bet, UPS will not pay. If they do pay, it will only be when contacted by the ex-employee. Speculation of course.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS has no wiggle room on this in regard to permanent employees, whether they are still working here or have separated. Any permanent employee who has worked on or after 1 Aug 13 will receive retro pay.

I am not sure if seasonal employees will receive retro pay----I don't think they will as they were hired at a specific pay rate.

kingOFchester

Retroactive pay is pay which an employee is owed for work which has already been completed. It is often made up in the form of a lump sum in which the difference between what the employee was paid and what the employee should have been paid is made over in a check. Sometimes an agreement may be reached in which the employer disburses small payments with each paycheck until the difference has been made up. There are a number of reasons why people might be entitled to retroactive pay.

The most common reason for this situation to occur is ongoing labor negotiations. While negotiations are underway, the employer continues to pay employees at the established rate. When the negotiations are over, they may include a clause that employees are entitled to retroactive pay, starting on a set date, because part of the agreement includes a wage increase. The employer is required to make up the difference as part of the overall enactment of the agreement.

Two things.

One, I think we all know the definition of retro pay.

Two, plagiarize much? Word for word your entire post can be found here:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-retroactive-pay.htm

(I gave you plenty of time to edit, even waited till you posted more posts, so obviously it wasn't an oversight. Wonder how many more your posts are plagiarized?)

I guess anyone can Google!!:eek:

Last edited:

upschuck

UPS has no wiggle room on this in regard to permanent employees, whether they are still working here or have separated. Any permanent employee who has worked on or after 1 Aug 13 will receive retro pay.

I am not sure if seasonal employees will receive retro pay----I don't think they will as they were hired at a specific pay rate.
Why wouldn't the seasonal person get it as well, if one gets it the other should as well. They get a percentage of starting driver rate here(believe it is 80%). If starting rate goes up, then helper pay goes up.

UPSGUY72

Passed and ratified are not one in the same.

They are the same. Implemented might be the word your looking for.... Either way the national has passed and or has been ratified by a simple majority of the people that voted on it. It can not be changed only the local riders and or supplements that haven't be passed / ratified can be changed.

upschuck

.....this is why I said "I am not sure" as I honestly don't know how seasonals will be treated.... My gut says they were hired at a set rate and will not receive retro pay.
You have got to be consistent with your logic, that is what I am going for. Neither is working when contract goes into effect.