Retro pay on or around May 27th

Kae3106

So let me get this straight. I can file a grievance and have a check in 24 hours if they short my paycheck from last week , but my money they owe me from august 1st on takes over a month. Lmfao

You try calculating several months of backpay for 180K employees. Keep in mind that many employees work multiple jobs with multiple rates (unskilled, skilled, Saturday air, cover driver, and so on.) Also, time card adjustments, progression steps, job classification changes, 1/52 vacation calculations, etc must be taken into account. Don't forget the dozens of pages of rate charts for all of the different jobs, start dates, and locals.

It's not a simple as just running a program that calculates hours * rate difference and produces a check.

Payroll is working their tails off right now to make sure the retro is done right. Even if it's perfect, they know they will have hundreds of complaints from people who want them to prove the calculation or think they were taxed wrong.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You try calculating several months of backpay for 180K employees. Keep in mind that many employees work multiple jobs with multiple rates (unskilled, skilled, Saturday air, cover driver, and so on.) Also, time card adjustments, progression steps, job classification changes, 1/52 vacation calculations, etc must be taken into account. Don't forget the dozens of pages of rate charts for all of the different jobs, start dates, and locals.

It's not a simple as just running a program that calculates hours * rate difference and produces a check.

Payroll is working their tails off right now to make sure the retro is done right. Even if it's perfect, they know they will have hundreds of complaints from people who want them to prove the calculation or think they were taxed wrong.
:bsbullf:

some1else

Banned
Expedited checks means
Not this week
Not the next week
Not the next next week
Not the next next next week
On the next next next next week

I did not know thats what expedited meant.

I wonder how many weeks it would take if hoffa didnt get them to expedite it for us?

upschuck

I would hope that they were keeping a running total of all hours, but even if not, a computer's strong point is adding.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Normal people understand.

RealPerson

I :censored2:ing hate the defending the company, but calculating/cutting checks for 230,000 employees local-by-local is no small feat. Taking 30 days to do so isn't unreasonable.
They should invest in Quick Books and a Computer.
It could all be calculated in a matter of hours.
Direct Deposit instantly.
One day to print who ever still gets a check.
One day to lick the stamps.. Oh wait we don't do that anymore either!

Nimnim

The Nim
So would you rather have it rushed to be completed in a few days where the errors are likely to be very numerous or wait a few weeks to ensure there's virtually no errors? You'll get the money, but are you that greedy you want to rush them so they screw up and then grieve it for more?

Nimnim

The Nim
Also I'm sure they have the computer systems setup for this, but they still have to have employees manually verify at least some of it. We're dealing with multiple hundreds of thousands of people. It doesn't take just a few hours for a team to verify that everything is good and people will be paid right.

Chemo

While we certainly won't have them this week I have a feeling we will have them long before the 27th. Payroll has been compiling the hours and it shouldn't take that long to produce the checks.
If you think payroll has been keeping track of a raise they knew would eventually go into effect, either
1. You have a better payroll dept than I do
2. You're relatively new to the company, or
3. You're a very optimistic person.

I expect them to take as long as they can. I expect my retro check to be completely wrong. I was on a sleeper team. No way they get my per diem, mileage, delays, 6th and 7th punches, unpaid miles(we run under our LMA) all correct.
I'll happily take what they give me, file for penalty pay on the difference, and wait patiently for the grievance check, which may actually end up being as big as the retro check.

Sent using BrownCafe App

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They should invest in Quick Books and a Computer.
It could all be calculated in a matter of hours.
Direct Deposit instantly.
One day to print who ever still gets a check.
One day to lick the stamps.. Oh wait we don't do that anymore either!
Reasonably sure UPS uses ADP services for payroll calculations.

Kae3106

No, they don't----it is all done "in house". ADP handles our online W-2's which, by the way, are the same as your end of year pay stub.

Mostly correct. Payroll is done in house. ADP handles the tax filings and W-2 printing but does not have the ability to handle a payroll with such complex union pay rules. The W-2s are usually the same as your year end pay stub but not always. Payroll has the ability to make last minute corrections to the annual totals after the last paycheck of the year before the W-2s are produced.

iowa boy

Mostly correct. Payroll is done in house. ADP handles the tax filings and W-2 printing but does not have the ability to handle a payroll with such complex union pay rules. The W-2s are usually the same as your year end pay stub but not always. Payroll has the ability to make last minute corrections to the annual totals after the last paycheck of the year before the W-2s are produced.

Kae,

I really feel for ya with the position your in. I don't understand how people can be so impatient about getting a check. My god it takes more than a week for you guys to pour through all the numbers for 200,000 plus employees and all the different payrates that you spoke of earlier.

Why can't we all have a little more patience as we will all get what we are entitled to?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Kae,

I really feel for ya with the position your in. I don't understand how people can be so impatient about getting a check. My god it takes more than a week for you guys to pour through all the numbers for 200,000 plus employees and all the different payrates that you spoke of earlier.

Why can't we all have a little more patience as we will all get what we are entitled to?
You seem to me like you smoke a lot of that sticky icky.....