Retro pay on or around May 27th

Quigley

Ah I play around here all the time, but its a whole different ballgame when im out there. You gotta do the job like they want ya too, but at same time I do the job and try and stay off the radar ya know. They might know I stay out late, and theres a reson for it obviously and it don't usually plan out super super bad. But they know im dependable and I get it done with no service failures and I never say a word to them about the number of stops or dispatch. I work as instructed and if they tell me to help out I will but 1 thing im not doing is skipping lunch and they know I will sit right there and take lunch at end of day because they owe it to me. Ill play their game sure but I sure as hell aint skipping lunch, freak that nonsense big daddy lol. Don't hate the player hate the game is what I tell them.
I'm in feeders and before DOT started making us take lunch. we would just skip it and go home. Why spend another hour just sitting around? Its not like you get payed anymore since lunch hour isnt payed.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You have to take lunch and if you don't they take it from you automatically. You work and you don't take lunch you lose an hour paid and if you take lunch you get paid an extra hour. Heres an example if I work til 6 and get in at 6 they take my lunch I get paid for 8 hours. If I get in at 6 and take my lunch from 6 to 7 I get paid for 9 hours. They take lunch automatically. Im not giving them anything. Don't see the point in giving them 50 bux for free that's just stupid to me. Whats the difference in getting home 1 to 2 hours early, your giving them free money and what are you going to do in that hour your giving them that free 50 bux. Most drivers are going to have the same routine every night whether you get home at 6 or if you get home at 9. Cant let this job rule your life like that, that's for the weak minded who are programmed and cant think outside the box.

Quigley

But thats just it, we wouldnt lose the hour. If I start at 8am and work till 8pm and no lunch, I get payed for 12 hours not 11. I dont know about where you are but where I am the only legal way a company can take money from you is a voluntary garnisment or court order. If you work 10 hours they have to pay for 10 hours. There was a class action suit years ago in the West about this very thing and company had to pay back thousands of dollars in back pay.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Not out here on the east coast, been that way for a long time. You don't take lunch you lose that hour. Ill ask union guy next time hes in the shop cause yep that is BS.

Quigley

Not out here on the east coast, been that way for a long time. You don't take lunch you lose that hour. Ill ask union guy next time hes in the shop cause yep that is BS.
I would ask a labor attorney because you are right it is BS. I'm not a lawyer but to work 9 hours but only get paid for 8, to me thats just wrong, and possibly against the labor laws.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm in feeders and before DOT started making us take lunch. we would just skip it and go home. Why spend another hour just sitting around? Its not like you get payed anymore since lunch hour isnt payed.

That's my sentiment as well, would rather go home at a reasonable time than stay one more minute near the job. I'm so accustomed to eating on the go, all I would like is about 20 minutes to scarf some chow down while on the way to the next subdivision.

flyersfan

About the retro pay/raise.My son who has been there Oct.2009,(part timer),his raise was .51 this past week,why didn't he get the .70 raise?Maybe because he didn't make his 4yr seniority till last Oct.,that was his 4yr anniversary with UPS.The contract expired 7/31/13,he didn't make his 4yr anniversary yet I'm thinking,that's why he didn't get the .70,but what's the deal with the .51 raise?,he' always gotten the .50 raise every yr since he's been there.Will he get the full .70 this yr?,he should.What about the retro pay?,will he get any from Oct.-April?I'll ask the shop steward on Monday when I go there,but any thoughts fellow workers?

Quigley

For part time employees the contract says if you are still in progression Aug 1 2013 then you will get the .70 raise. However you cant make any less then the new rate. So its either the .70 or the new rate whichever is higher. Article 22 Section 5.

flyersfan

For part time employees the contract says if you are still in progression Aug 1 2013 then you will get the .70 raise. However you cant make any less then the new rate. So its either the .70 or the new rate whichever is higher. Article 22 Section 5.
Then why did someone with less seniority get the .70 raise & he didn't?,looking into this one,that's for sure,thanks!

Nimnim

The Nim
There were a lot of questions from pters last night who had less than 3-4 years seniority and come Monday there's going to be a lot of calls to my local hall. It seems most if not all that were in progression from the last contract are only getting the 50 cent raise.

This is one nice cluster as the little information we've been given isn't really enough when things are actually happening.

flyersfan

There were a lot of questions from pters last night who had less than 3-4 years seniority and come Monday there's going to be a lot of calls to my local hall. It seems most if not all that were in progression from the last contract are only getting the 50 cent raise.

This is one nice cluster as the little information we've been given isn't really enough when things are actually happening.
I agree,many more to come!,lol.All union halls this month will be getting so many phone calls about the "signed contract" that they might to hire outside help,who's going to pay for it?,probably us!

upschuck

Without know specifics, they are only getting 50¢, because they probably got a raise since Aug 1 because of passing the yearly progression in last contract.

M

MenInBrown

Yes there was already one law suit against ups about taking time...you get paid what you work.

flyersfan

When we all get our retro checks in a few weeks,will there be union dues taken out?There was a rumor going around that they will be taking out the "full amt." for every month the contract was in limbo,no way I thought,they can't do that,I can see if union dues weren't taken out at all during them 9 months,but they were,then I asked the shop steward,he said approx.$1.75 per month would be taking out,then last week,he told me that no union dues are coming out of our checks,do you believe that?Well,put it this way,when we get a raise,the union gets one too,can't wait to see how much my union dues went up next check,probably a $1,but we get .70,lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When we all get our retro checks in a few weeks,will there be union dues taken out?There was a rumor going around that they will be taking out the "full amt." for every month the contract was in limbo,no way I thought,they can't do that,I can see if union dues weren't taken out at all during them 9 months,but they were,then I asked the shop steward,he said approx.$1.75 per month would be taking out,then last week,he told me that no union dues are coming out of our checks,do you believe that?Well,put it this way,when we get a raise,the union gets one too,can't wait to see how much my union dues went up next check,probably a $1,but we get .70,lol

Our BA was in the building this past week and told us that our local would not be taking out "back dues". I did the math after he said that and it worked out to about $20. (.70 * 3 * 9) We have about 100 Teamster hourlies so total back dues would have been just under $2K.

upschuck

Still like to know why he got a .51 raise,don't understand that one!
Without specifics, I can only assume you were making something like $11.99/$12.99 in April, and got bumped to $12.50/$13.50 or something like not making less than the new contract. Why you didn't get the whole 70¢ was you probably got raise earlier, since Aug 1.