Returning from military leave.

UPS employee Jan 2005/Aug 2011.
Returning from military leave Aug 2015. Have contacted union rep, HR, center manager and reassured my position at UPS. not sure how soon medical benefits will be reinstated after my return. Was given a TEAMCARE # but after being on hold 25 minutes gave up today. I'll call back tomorrow but was looking for insight here. Thanks!

PT Car Washer

Returning from military leave Aug 2015. Have contacted union rep, HR, center manager and reassured my position at UPS. not sure how soon medical benefits will be reinstated after my return. Was given a TEAMCARE # but after being on hold 25 minutes gave up today. I'll call back tomorrow but was looking for insight here. Thanks!
Welcome back! I would think benefits would be reinstated just as soon as you report back to work. In the meantime do you still have Tricare?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Your benefits should start back up as soon as you come back.

Thank you for your service!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The first day you work your benefits will be restored.

USERRA gives an employee and previously covered dependents the right to immediate reinstatement of civilian health insurance coverage upon return to the civilian job. The health plan cannot impose a waiting period and cannot exclude the returning employee based on preexisting conditions (other than for those conditions determined by the Federal government to be service-connected). This right is not contingent on an election to continue coverage during the period of service. (Section 4317)

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are still covered under TRICARE but my wife will be due days after I get out and I want to make sure Teamcare will have kicked in ASAP

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are still covered under TRICARE but my wife will be due days after I get out and I want to make sure Teamcare will have kicked in ASAP

You may want to call Tricare to find out when your coverage runs out.

You may also want to call Teamcare to find out when your coverage begins.

Thank you for service and congrats on the new addition to your family.

Coalminer2005

My benefits started immediately upon returning to work. While on military leave following a deployment in Iraq my family and I were covered by Tricare.

box_beeyotch

I believe your progression continues while you have been on active duty as well as your insurance kicks in when you return. Congrats on your future child and thank you for your service!!

browner89

You dealt with sitting through military power points on sexual harassment and opsec for like 8 hours a day twice a month but gave up after 25 minutes on hold? :D

Armygy

I had to create an account to respond to this question. Your coverage starts the day you returned to work. There are absolutely no waiting period, or games you have to play. UPS will try to drag their feet, but you are entitled to coverage. It is as if you never left. If you have any problems, google "ESGR Ombudsman contact". That office is there to help you resolve any employer issues you have.

You should also have some support from Transition Support Services.

With Tricare and Teamcare your kid has the potential to cost you $0.00. Dual coverage baby!

As an aside. You need to get with your business agent / H.R. to make sure you have received your pension contributions for the last 4 years. It takes some time, but you will receive back payment into your pension. If you think about it, your now a UPS employee of 10 YEARS! Congrats, only 20 more to go!

Your seniority date hasn't changed at all BTW, again ... it is as if you NEVER left.

All kidding aside, thanks for doing what you did. But cross your i's, dot your t's, etc. Log who, what and when you talked to people. Make sure you get the benefits you earned, UPS healthcare, VA, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With Tricare and Teamcare your kid has the potential to cost you $0.00. Dual coverage baby!

Make sure you get the benefits you earned, UPS healthcare, VA, etc.

I was on active duty when my kids were born and with Champus my daughter cost $25 and my son $45. That was because we wanted a semi-private room.

The OP will not be eligible for VA healthcare but can take advantage of their other benefits, most notably the VA mortgage program.