Revised FedEx employee discount policy effective Sept 1

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I mailed a package this week, 1 lb, 2 oz, and it cost me $7.78, but if it were media mail, it would have been only $2.47! I will still use USPS or UPS for my side business, never Ground!

Thanks but if I had a side business and my focus was the bottom line I would use the USPS for pkgs 2 lbs or less and Ground for all others.

Rhoderunner

Interline can be a pain in the butt. I get a P1 stop from an employee from another opco everyday for his daughters apartment near the college here. Always DSR, and she's never home. I tried to deliver it during P2 cycle a couple of times, but was told despite being interline, still has to be delivered by 1030. Worst part, she lives in the apartment building furthest from the road, takes about 7 minutes in and 7 minutes back out.
Interline shipments have no commitment. They are also one attempt then Hold for Pick Up. It's the policy. Tell your uninformed manager about it and do it per policy. When she has to come pick up her package a few times see how fast daddy drops the DSR for cupcakes package.

whenIgetthere

Thanks but if I had a side business and my focus was the bottom line I would use the USPS for pkgs 2 lbs or less and Ground for all others.

Customers pay the shipping charges. For low value items or low weight items, I use USPS. For high dollar, I use UPS. Tried Ground, but too many problems a few years back. They had their chance, haven't had any problems with USPS or UPS!!

Kevinmevin

Don't the "actual employees" of Ground get a 50% discount?

I remember that Express employees got a 50% discount on Ground shipping (75% for Express). That 50% discount means that FedEx was actually losing money on moving volume from Express employees through Ground (the margins in Ground are MUCH TIGHTER than Express).
Yes we get 50%to off ground... (hub employees) however from what i understand now is that its up to 50% based on distance and weight.. at least thats what happens when i drop off at FXO. It apparently doesnt show FXO the percentage just the price after discount.
75% for express as well.

SmithBarney

Interline shipments have no commitment. They are also one attempt then Hold for Pick Up. It's the policy. Tell your uninformed manager about it and do it per policy. When she has to come pick up her package a few times see how fast daddy drops the DSR for cupcakes package.

unfortunately, for the employee who uses the internet to ship, there is no designation on the package to indicate interline.
so all those "rules" don't get applied.

HomeDelivery

my newer ID badge says i'm not an employee, but a "vendor" to FedEx Ground... and not an employee.

i tried to use one of my older ID badges with the same #, but they didn't give me a discount to ship a small item to CA a few years back. off to USPS flat rate~:money:

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
my newer ID badge says i'm not an employee, but a "vendor" to FedEx Ground... and not an employee.

i tried to use one of my older ID badges with the same #, but they didn't give me a discount to ship a small item to CA a few years back. off to USPS flat rate~:money:

That's right.
You're not an employee of FedEx.
And, USPS flat rate boxes are just about the best deal out there.

hypo hanna

So employee discount freight thats what, 1/8 of 1% of daily volume?

Sounds like more cutting at employee expense with no real savings to the bottom line.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So employee discount freight thats what, 1/8 of 1% of daily volume?

Sounds like more cutting at employee expense with no real savings to the bottom line.

No substance, much like many upper management dictates. If they really wanted to save some money, they'd need to look in the mirror and start there.

mitchel

Interline can be a pain in the butt. I get a P1 stop from an employee from another opco everyday for his daughters apartment near the college here. Always DSR, and she's never home. I tried to deliver it during P2 cycle a couple of times, but was told despite being interline, still has to be delivered by 1030. Worst part, she lives in the apartment building furthest from the road, takes about 7 minutes in and 7 minutes back out.

Unless something has changed, you can dex 17 an employee shipment for a later time. Also, its a one attemp then a hold at location shipment.

Rhoderunner

unfortunately, for the employee who uses the internet to ship, there is no designation on the package to indicate interline.
so all those "rules" don't get applied.

Agreed, the ones from the airline folks and the like usually pay cash and ship on a AB so you can tell. Sometimes the good CSAs put the interline stickers on them. I think most FedEx people know not to use DSR, would hope so at least. I never make my brothers or sisters work harder than they have to. :peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Agreed, the ones from the airline folks and the like usually pay cash and ship on a AB so you can tell. Sometimes the good CSAs put the interline stickers on them. I think most FedEx people know not to use DSR, would hope so at least. I never make my brothers or sisters work harder than they have to. :peaceful:

When you say "brothers and sisters" FedEx doesn't like it. That's "union" speak.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, shame on me for getting some Memphis suits' panties in a bunch. :sheepish:

I used the term "brothers" one time to describe fellow workers, and my SM looked at me like I had sworn. Too bad we don't work collectively against Memphis. We aren't getting a union, but collective "unhappiness" tends to lead to constructive action.