Reward for calling in ????

brownIEman

The driver in question? Based on the rant of someone who's po'd about not getting a day off and I'll bet doesn't know 10% of the story you are going to say that the driver he mentions is abusing the system? Ok, I'll play. I have at times in the past if an unforeseen emergency came up have had to leave early from work. Not 5 minutes in as claimed although it is possible but several hours in definitely.

Now, with that information and nothing more tell me if I am abusing the system.

OK, I wil play as well. With the information you have given, I would be a fool to assume you are abusing the system. I would assume at that point you are not. Yes, I am bitter about the abusers. But make no mistake, I am not nearly so jaded that I automatically assume everyone using it is abusing it.

Now, here is one for you:

If I told you of an employee in the past 3 months has had 17 emergencies and use int. FMLA. 10 of those were either a Monday or a Friday, and in each of those, the call to inform us of the FMLA was several hour after start time. 4 were when the employee had to leave after arriving at work, and each of those was on days when operational issues compelled us to move them to a work area they do not like. 3 of the 17 days have non of these qualities that could point to any alterior motive I am aware of. So in the face of that pattern, would you assume this person is the victim of a series of unfortunate coincidence and not abusing the system?

Fair enough. But in this case let's present both sides of the coin without rendering a decision on a woman that we've only heard about through negative hearsay.
I know you may feel I am against you sometimes but I'm only arguing my side as strongly as you do yours.

over9five

Staff member
OK, I wil play as well. With the information you have given, I would be a fool to assume you are abusing the system. I would assume at that point you are not. Yes, I am bitter about the abusers. But make no mistake, I am not nearly so jaded that I automatically assume everyone using it is abusing it.

Now, here is one for you:

If I told you of an employee in the past 3 months has had 17 emergencies and use int. FMLA. 10 of those were either a Monday or a Friday, and in each of those, the call to inform us of the FMLA was several hour after start time. 4 were when the employee had to leave after arriving at work, and each of those was on days when operational issues compelled us to move them to a work area they do not like. 3 of the 17 days have non of these qualities that could point to any alterior motive I am aware of. So in the face of that pattern, would you assume this person is the victim of a series of unfortunate coincidence and not abusing the system?

OK, so what do you do when you suspect someone is abusing the system? I realize you would have to give that person the time off, but isn't there some number you can call to report suspected abuse? Is there anyone who investigates this kind of thing?

brownIEman

OK, so what do you do when you suspect someone is abusing the system? I realize you would have to give that person the time off, but isn't there some number you can call to report suspected abuse? Is there anyone who investigates this kind of thing?

No. If I brought anything like this to HR they would give me a "there-there, its all ok, we understand your frustration, just keep track of the use, eat up the entitlements, and discipline when they have used up the FMLA allotment". Security would just look at me like I had 3 heads. While frustrated, I vent here. At work I have become rather zen in my acceptance.

There is really no upside for me to follow up on abuse. No number to call that I am aware of. If I were to put in the effort, time, and energy to track down fraudulant abuse of FMLA, and was successful, the abuser would get fired. That is not a plus for me, I don't want them fired, I want them to stop behaving in this manner. If I were to put in the energy, time and effort and fail to prove abuse, I could be severely disciplined up to termination for percieved retaliation. Why would I invest my time and energy?

Or to put in other terms:
If I were an investment broker and said "hey, give me a bunch of your money, I have this great investment that has absolutely no upside, no shot to give you any actual income, and a fair to even chance you will lose everything". How much money are you going to invest with me?

over9five

Staff member
Seems strange that they have this great thing (FMLA), that is exceedingly easy to abuse, and no way to report suspected abuse. No anonymous hotline?

brownIEman

Seems strange that they have this great thing (FMLA), that is exceedingly easy to abuse, and no way to report suspected abuse. No anonymous hotline?

It makes sense if you think about it. FMLA is a federal law. When people abuse it, companies pay the price in general, front line management like me and other employees who have to pick up the slack pay the price specifically. The Federal Government does not pay a price. What skin is it off there nose? What motivation do they have to prevent abuse? HR and or Security in UPS should be the arms to investigate, but they have the same problems I do in terms of lack of upside vs potential down side. HR does their role, which is to check the paperwork and approve if it is all good. They have no choice but to approve as long as a health care provider has signed off. Ultimately, the healthcare provider is sort of the defense against fraud. But again, look at motivations. What does Dr. Jones care if Sally Slacker does not show up at UPS on Monday mornings? So the tests come back negative and he cannot find anything physically wrong with her, if she says some mornings she gets a really bad headache, well, there is no down side to him signing the paperwork to get her out of his office so he can bill the next patients insurance for $1550 for a 10 minute conversation and a tissue. All the people who are in a position to stop abuse, have little to no upside to trying and potentially large downsides to trying. Can you really blame them for not trying too hard?

Crap. Maybe I am jaded.

Ok but who do you call when the few vindictive members of management start barraging fmla users by reporting them every absence?
Slippery slope either way.

GolfCart

The driver in question? Based on the rant of someone who's po'd about not getting a day off and I'll bet doesn't know 10% of the story you are going to say that the driver he mentions is abusing the system? Ok, I'll play. I have at times in the past if an unforeseen emergency came up have had to leave early from work. Not 5 minutes in as claimed although it is possible but several hours in definitely.

Now, with that information and nothing more tell me if I am abusing the system.

You sure have a nasty tone ....................... I know what I am talking about ! I talk to the driver daily . Do you ?

Once again , she was sent home today AGAIN !!! Now my boss is saying she is out of days ?

I might have a nasty tone because whether she works, plays , or dances a jig, as another hourly employee it's none of your business. You're unhappy about it? Fine. But you have no business even knowing why she isn't there. If your manager says cover for her you will. If not you won't.

And if your Mgr is sending her home because she took a FMLA day prior you job will be to help him carry his crap out to his car. Just the fact he allegedly told you what her situation is as far as her available days will land him in hot water.

So why not mind your business, wait for your work directives, and let UPS handle the other driver.

GolfCart

If you have a problem with my post , STOP READING THEM !! She is the talk of the hub , not just me talking about it . There is always a pattern , Monday or Friday ever week , then anyday she is on a route she does not want to run , her phone rings . Then she goes home .

It's people like you that ups loves , they want to turn brother against brother ..........

If you have a problem with my post , STOP READING THEM !! She is the talk of the hub , not just me talking about it . There is always a pattern , Monday or Friday ever week , then anyday she is on a route she does not want to run , her phone rings . Then she goes home .

It's people like you that ups loves , they want to turn brother against brother ..........

What are you doing gossiping about your sister then..................brother?

You're what UPS loves. The sniveling bitch that only worries about themselves and will do anything to get it.

brownIEman

Ok but who do you call when the few vindictive members of management start barraging fmla users by reporting them every absence?
Slippery slope either way.

You call HR, or the government. The law forbids ANY retaliation for use of FMLA, that is written into it. HR is tasked with making sure the company complies with the law, and they will. Which is part of why they would tell me to stand down if I wanted to try to prove abuse. To much potential liability to the company. The users of FMLA, and as an unfortunate consequence, the abusers as well, are very well protected by this law. The slippery slope as you call it is only one way.

GolfCart

Wow !! What a but thread !!! You are a very unhappy person ! What crawled up your butt ! I am not going to waste my time on garbage like you ! Worthless trash !

No gossip here , EVERY word posted is the truth . The truth is the truth , that's all simple truth .

You call HR, or the government. The law forbids ANY retaliation for use of FMLA, that is written into it. HR is tasked with making sure the company complies with the law, and they will. Which is part of why they would tell me to stand down if I wanted to try to prove abuse. To much potential liability to the company. The users of FMLA, and as an unfortunate consequence, the abusers as well, are very well protected by this law. The slippery slope as you call it is only one way.

Yea, I know that. But what's going to prevent :censored2:s like G-boy from calling it every time he doesn't get his day off? What is abuse and what is perceived as abuse are two different things. But either way it's between management and the FMLA employee. Not every other person that has no business airing the goings on in the center.

GolfCart

Yea, I know that. But what's going to prevent :censored2:s like G-boy from calling it every time he doesn't get his day off? What is abuse and what is perceived as abuse are two different things. But either way it's between management and the FMLA employee. Not every other person that has no business airing the goings on in the center.

WOW , you are really a winner . I would never report anyone , I would not mess with ANYONEs JOB !! What is up your BUTT ? You just can not handle that I tell the truth . You are really a nice guy , I bet your customer really LOVE you , IF YOU EVEN DRIVE A TRUCK !

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Goochy, this is my experience with FMLA abusers:

Yes everyone in the facility knows about....

Everyone knows what days this person will call in...

They usually do not last long...they are caught doing something they should have not been doing and are let go

Dragon

GolfCart

I just thought it was SO funny , to reward her with MORE days off . I am not causing problems for her or anyone at my hub . I just thought the Cafe would like the story . Its just crazy , hey you MIGHT be doing something wrong , so you get a week off .......................... just crazy .

WOW , you are really a winner . I would never report anyone Except in a public forum., I would not mess with ANYONEs JOB Except with that persons manager as we talk about whys shes leaving again and how many days off she has left.!! What is up your BUTT ? You just can not handle that I Whine the truth . You are really a nice guy , I bet your customer really LOVE you , IF YOU EVEN DRIVE A TRUCK !

I am a nice guy. That's why I'll stand up to you running your mouth about something that you have no business being in or posting on the internet. And I was driving trucks when your daddy said "You're what?!!!" to your mommy.