Rewards for Special Favors (off topic)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1449198999.734967.jpg

I have a customer that "likes to buy me lunch" if he can meet me at my first stop to get a package he needs for work.

noahgw92

If you actually take care of the customers they are way more inclined to tip. Last year I probably made around 80 bucks in tips. Some I split with my helper when he was with me. Believe it or not people, UPS is supposed to be about quality not quantity, now freaking get it all 99 percet of you UPS drivers.

Future

Victory Ride
If you actually take care of the customers they are way more inclined to tip. Last year I probably made around 80 bucks in tips. Some I split with my helper when he was with me. Believe it or not people, UPS is supposed to be about quality not quantity, now freaking get it all 99 percet of you UPS drivers.
Yes i have always been worried about the "99 percet" of U UPS drivers

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't accept gifts or do favors, during the holidays or otherwise. Much like when I got on this route I had customers calling the old driver to contact me about getting their packages at certain times or coming back to do pickups. I informed the previous driver that I don't do favors or give special treatment to people so they can avoid paying for a service we offer in exchange for money or gifts, seems unethical and compromises my integrity. I prefer to live my life simple and clean, same goes for work.

noahgw92

Oh yeah and also i also had this signature stop and this guy mentioned that it wouldn't be the holidays without alcohol. So I asked, what did you order and he proceeded to say oh just some wine from my winery in California, then he asked if I wanted a bottle. I said sure and he grabbed one out of the fridge and told me to let it sit out for 20-30 minutes because it was in his fridge because his wine cellar was full. Not bad for my first peak season on the road :P

Future

Victory Ride
Oh yeah and also i also had this signature stop and this guy mentioned that it wouldn't be the holidays without alcohol. So I asked, what did you order and he proceeded to say oh just some wine from my winery in California, then he asked if I wanted a bottle. I said sure and he grabbed one out of the fridge and told me to let it sit out for 20-30 minutes because it was in his fridge because his wine cellar was full. Not bad for my first peak season on the road :P
Did u check his id ?? Was he old enough to obtain the wine?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
80 in tips? Woooooooooow......lol

rod

Retired 22 years
I had customers I would go out of my way for and a few I wouldn't give the time of day. In turn I got some really good deals at some of the business I delivered to. I even had the GM dealer give me a hundred dollar bill because I would recommend that people I knew go see him for a good deal on a new vehicle.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yeah roughly 80, I don't like to exaggerate at all so I'd say that's a good guess.

I was going to mock your $80 but when you said it was your first peak I'd say that's not bad. On my old route I had a single customer who would give me $150 every year. And then I would get random $20's here and there, along with several meals already paid for when I got to lunch. Everyone knew when I where I ate lunch so they would beat me in there and leave money with the owner to cover the bill or just have the bill held until the next time they were in and would pay for it then. I took care of people and people took care of me.

Now here I am on a different route, started it back in March. Already had a bunch of people in the summer talking up giving me gifts for Christmas.......then I got hurt over Labor Day. So I doubt they will be holding my gift. :laugh: It's ok, I never expect much in the first year. So I'll just go back to taking care of them when I get back and rebuild my rapport..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

View attachment 61595

I have a customer that "likes to buy me lunch" if he can meet me at my first stop to get a package he needs for work.

We have customers who will meet some of our rural drivers on road for the same purpose. We are told that we are not supposed to deliver any NDA at any place other than the address on the package which means we are supposed to tell them that they can't have their stuff until we are at their business.

We still deliver it to them at the meet point.

They also announced yesterday that UPS has added more zip codes to their EAM approved list. Many of these were rural areas with a 2 pm commit time. Why they would do this during Peak is beyond me.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you have the customer sign for it at meet point and don't DR it shouldn't be an issue. Some customers know where their drivers will be early in the morning and meet them to get their package early. A win/win for everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you have the customer sign for it at meet point and don't DR it shouldn't be an issue. Some customers know where their drivers will be early in the morning and meet them to get their package early. A win/win for everyone.

This is exactly why retirees should not comment on current operations.

Due to the recent NDA "fraud" lawsuit, we are no longer allowed to deliver any NDA at any place other than the address on the package.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is exactly why retirees should not comment on current operations.

Due to the recent NDA "fraud" lawsuit, we are no longer allowed to deliver any NDA at any place other than the address on the package.

Completely different issues.

Or did you admit you were committing fraud when you delivered to meet points?

Completely different issues.

Or did you admit you were committing fraud when you delivered to meet points?
I've never been asked about giving someone a next day air on route. I just make sure that I get a signature.

A warning comes up on the DIAD showing that you are not at the correct address.
I'm sure that generates a report.