RFI Response for defined growth opportunity

snowcatrm

What would a winning RFI response look like? The station manager says it's a business plan and they want to know what our plan for growth stability safety and contingencies is. Could anyone help?

bbsam

Staff member
It's their way of getting you to think through everything that could go wrong and what are you going to do when three of those happen...and they will.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What would a winning RFI response look like? The station manager says it's a business plan and they want to know what our plan for growth stability safety and contingencies is. Could anyone help?

Ah, the famous 3-letter FedEx acronym. What does this one stand for? We're quite used to them around here, and they toss them around like OLCCs.

CJinx

You'd have to ask them; although RFI is a pretty standard business term, I imagine that is why they call it that.

snowcatrm

New contractor. I know it is a request for information. But what exactly are they looking for that would make the manager select me over another potential contractor?

CJinx

A set of action plans in place that ensure that a problem on your end won't become a headache on the manager's end.

STFXG

Nothing. They already know who they are going with. The RFI is a CYA process. They want to see financial information, contingency plans, blah blah blah.

Is this for a new undefined work area? Or did someone get terminated?

If it's for an undefined work area you need to show them the numbers. How many stops for each route. Geographic area for each PSA. Mileage. Anything you can think of that would take additional time to service each area.

Like I said, they already have an idea of where the new PSA needs to go. It takes a lot to get them to change their mind.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
New contractor. I know it is a request for information. But what exactly are they looking for that would make the manager select me over another potential contractor?

This way you can fight amongst yourselves. Divide and conquer at work. Soon it will be "whomever will do the route for the least compensation". Fred will have you cutting each others throats to see who will give him back the most money.

P

prodriver

This way you can fight amongst yourselves. Divide and conquer at work. Soon it will be "whomever will do the route for the least compensation". Fred will have you cutting each others throats to see who will give him back the most money.

They have been requiring RFIs for awhile now, even before that they ran credit checks and wanted to know financials.

bbsam

Staff member
It's a bit deeper than that, but cost will play a part. Fred watched what happened when DHL went with the cheapest contractors.

Doc Sorting Dude

Why would they want IC's input for their plan for growth stability? Should'nt this be corporate's everyday focus? What are THEY doing to enure Express,Ground/HD,Freight has continual growth? Safety I can see. Contingencies...don't know enough about Ground to comment.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would they want IC's input for their plan for growth stability? Should'nt this be corporate's everyday focus? What are THEY doing to enure Express,Ground/HD,Freight has continual growth? Safety I can see. Contingencies...don't know enough about Ground to comment.
Contingency plans for illness, vacation etc. Also what happens if an area grows? Is the contractor able and willing to hire another driver, add a truck etc.? Sounds like corporate is gearing up for some pretty significant growth and they really aren't interested in adding a bunch of single route owners who aren't interested in expansion.