ridiculous turnover

livin the dream

so obviously every ups employee is familiar with the turnover rate in the hubs. but from what i've seen in the weeks leading up to peak, it's almost as if the management wants our new hires to quit. we ended up having a 7 and a half hour shift last night (monday night), and our top FT sup told a new hire to "go and fix that" in reference to our "oh **** we're ****ed belt." all he wanted him to do was break jams and push down boxes for the loader, but he didn't even tell him that much. the kid was apparently still in high school, and he walked out right next to me. i understand this job isn't for everyone, but if we don't get more people here before black friday, i honestly have no idea what it's gonna look like. anyone else seeing this?

so obviously every ups employee is familiar with the turnover rate in the hubs. but from what i've seen in the weeks leading up to peak, it's almost as if the management wants our new hires to quit. we ended up having a 7 and a half hour shift last night (monday night), and our top FT sup told a new hire to "go and fix that" in reference to our "oh **** we're ****ed belt." all he wanted him to do was break jams and push down boxes for the loader, but he didn't even tell him that much. the kid was apparently still in high school, and he walked out right next to me. i understand this job isn't for everyone, but if we don't get more people here before black friday, i honestly have no idea what it's gonna look like. anyone else seeing this?

How much would you do for $8.50 an hour? and no benefits?...............Answer....not very much!

jaker

trolling
You realize that after just being there for a few months and its been that why for decades and management still doesn't see it

blkmamba

You realize that after just being there for a few months and its been that why for decades and management still doesn't see it

That is a lot of money for a high school/college student. Yeah, they could make as much at McDonald's. But who would you rather work for UPS or McDonalds?

Indecisi0n

That is a lot of money for a high school/college student. Yeah, they could make as much at McDonald's. But who would you rather work for UPS or McDonalds?

I'd rather go to McDonalds. Why would I kill my body when I could be taking food orders for the same pay rate? Plus I would get to eat free fries all day.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I delivered to a guy last night who was like hey, i used to load trailers with you. I said nice to see you but i dont remember you. He said thats because he only worked 2 weeks then walked out because he couldn't take it. I've said it before and i'll say it again...It takes a certain type of person to do this work.

PT Car Washer

More hours means you would take home more money every week. Not having a PT sup pushing you out the door or shaving the few hours you do work. Not having FT sup telling you we don't need you today but maybe tomorrow. Yeah, the job sure isn't for everyone.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Years back, pt made a lot more money. Nobody left and the company was fussy on who they let get seniority.

blkmamba

I'd rather go to McDonalds. Why would I kill my body when I could be taking food orders for the same pay rate? Plus I would get to eat free fries all day.

True, but an 18 year old doesn't realize they will be killing their body until after they take the job. And for some reason it sounds better when a women asks where you work and you answer UPS. You wouldn't get the same response out of her if you answered McDonalds.

trickpony1

True, but an 18 year old doesn't realize they will be killing their body until after they take the job. And for some reason it sounds better when a women asks where you work and you answer UPS. You wouldn't get the same response out of her if you answered McDonalds.

Become a PT supe and you can really impress the girls at the bar/club.
But be sure to just tell them you're a "manager", don't mention "part time".

blkmamba

Become a PT supe and you can really impress the girls at the bar/club.
But be sure to just tell them you're a "manager", don't mention "part time".

hahahaha as a former supervisor this is totally true. Whenever anyone asks what I did at UPS I answer "supervisor" sounds much better than part-time supervisor.

livin the dream

the kid was apparently in high school. to be fair though, he got to start in the sort isle. and it's cold out. idk how much easier it could get for a new hire.

J

jibbs

the kid was apparently in high school. to be fair though, he got to start in the sort isle. and it's cold out. idk how much easier it could get for a new hire.

Give him/her a belt to split and one truck to load. Cakewalk.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I do see your point....but we were all new once....and we busted ass for 9/hr and a year wait for benefits. A job is a job....these idiots need some kind of a work ethic!

When did you have to wait a year to get benefits? You meant 90 days or less. You had it much easier, believe me. The number one reason why people quit isnt because the work is too hard, its because the pay sucks, and they are tired of being sent home or working 2 hours a day. If I had to start over again, I would most likely quit. No way I would put up with being sent home or working less than 3 1/2 hours. They would most likely would have to fire me, lol. I would file grievances for my guarantee although I'm on probation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When did you have to wait a year to get benefits? You meant 90 days or less. You had it much easier, believe me. The number one reason why people quit isnt because the work is too hard, its because the pay sucks, and they are tired of being sent home or working 2 hours a day. If I had to start over again, I would most likely quit. No way I would put up with being sent home or working less than 3 1/2 hours. They would most likely would have to fire me, lol. I would file grievances for my guarantee although I'm on probation.
No, i didn't wait a year...i wanna say i waited 6 months for benefits, but it's been so long, I don't remember. That being said.....I had it easier? Little boy, WTF do you know about my life or my job that you can say how much easier ANY of us had it than YOU, because we started years before you?? If you had to start all over again, you'd quit??? You've worked here, what....6 months?? What do you have vested in this company that you couldn't walk away tomorrow, and get a job at Walmart for the 9.50 or 10.50 an hour you're currently making at ups??