Right Hand Rule Gone for good?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
22 miles over is nearly 50% of your projected, which does sound awfully high.
YUP. it is high. And thats one of the better days. Sometimes its as high as 27, depending who runs it. Yesterday with NO oca, being about 75% in trace, and not going to my first stop, I was over by 9. On days I am able to twist off my brain, and run 85-90 I am over +20

Packmule

We had a driver who refused to make those turns because it causes him to go across busy roads several times a day. He pleaded his case and said it was unsafe to do to so. Our on car agreed and they now have it set up so that he makes less left turns and crosses busy streets less. Who knows, maybe you can do the same by explaining your side.
I will certainly be bringing this to their attention. Funny thing is they told us the more driver input they received, the better it would be. Yet everything I brought up I just got told that I need to be flexible and adapt to changes. Another words shut up and do what you are told.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I will certainly be bringing this to their attention. Funny thing is they told us the more driver input they received, the better it would be. Yet everything I brought up I just got told that I need to be flexible and adapt to changes. Another words shut up and do what you are told.
Flexible and adapt to changes, they took that option away when they tell you to follow a system that can't do that. I am safe by choice, not by chance that it matches with their mileage plan.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Sure they can. I had that issue, I showed them the problem, and then it was fixed. To be more clear, I showed the problem to the division manager, and he made sure it got fixed.
I don't make any effort to fix thier problems. They don't get it both ways.

Dr.Brownz

The right turn rules has been gone for years. They not worried about you sitting waiting for a red light anymore they worried about a saving a couple miles so they can save a buck or two on gas even if it means they pay you 1 or 2 hrs of OT at $50 + hr doing it. Makes no sense but I don't get paid to question there stupidity and as long as they still willing to pay my OT to drive around in circles all day who cares.

Its all so they can say we are a green company because we reduced emmissions; who knows what that means at tax time

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think they should fix it to take away my excuses. That is what I would do if I was in mgmt. They do not know how, LOL

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The right turn rules has been gone for years. They not worried about you sitting waiting for a red light anymore they worried about a saving a couple miles so they can save a buck or two on gas even if it means they pay you 1 or 2 hrs of OT at $50 + hr doing it. Makes no sense but I don't get paid to question there stupidity and as long as they still willing to pay my OT to drive around in circles all day who cares.
Yeah I want to know how long Wall Street will be placated by "but we're saving millions of miles" before asking, well then how come your operating expenses haven't gone down millions?

JackStraw

Had a business open on my route that closes at 4. Asked my dispatcher to incorporate this into my equation. He told me he can't! He could put a note in the board but it can't be updated into Orion. Do they have to clear any changes with Atlanta first?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Had a business open on my route that closes at 4. Asked my dispatcher to incorporate this into my equation. He told me he can't! He could put a note in the board but it can't be updated into Orion. Do they have to clear any changes with Atlanta first?
There are like 15 of them in my board after 5. To fix it from the bottom up is 15 breaks. to run it from top down adds 8 miles. What to do, and they know it, and cant fix it. That is why I dont care.

SCV good to go sir.

The week before last I decided to follow Orion as best as possible (will never compromise safety or service) for :censored2:s and giggles. Holy :censored2:, did my paycheck go up. I'm a big fan of Orion now. XD

For us single guys without families that just want the money and hours, Orion is our new bff. Out on the road it's just me, Thomas, and Orion. Management can't tell me :censored2: about my hours because I was following Orion. :)

To be fair though Orion does seem to have improved with the residential neighborhoods since last peak (although there's one route, I'd trust Michael J. Fox to the connect the dots before Orion).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The week before last I decided to follow Orion as best as possible (will never compromise safety or service) for :censored2:s and giggles. Holy :censored2:, did my paycheck go up. I'm a big fan of Orion now. XD

For us single guys without families that just want the money and hours, Orion is our new bff. Out on the road it's just me, Thomas, and Orion. Management can't tell me :censored2: about my hours because I was following Orion. :)

To be fair though Orion does seem to have improved with the residential neighborhoods since last peak (although there's one route, I'd trust Michael J. Fox to the connect the dots before Orion).
If u do not know an area it is pretty darn good. When it comes to time commits, no one beats a driver,

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah I want to know how long Wall Street will be placated by "but we're saving millions of miles" before asking, well then how come your operating expenses haven't gone down millions?
"Currency Headwinds during the quarter affected our bottom line"

You may laugh, but it's what everybody is doing right now.

iruhnman630

Dont be so sure about that.

The standard line is we are supposed to use our skills to 'make professional decisions' and beat Orion.

They certainly covered their bases.

FilingBluesFL

Management can't even fix a simple problem, such as the first two ORION stops being out of order, forcing a dangerous left-hand turn instead of a right-hand turn, two businesses next to each other, on the first stops of the day . "Who knows" is right.

We've been told we absolutely have to go to the first ORION stop.

Even if that means having to drive past 2 or 3 other stops on the way there, that are on the same street.

So for example, if your first stop is at the end of a Cul-De-Sac, you HAVE to drive all the way down to the end, and deliver that package first, before you can service the other ones that you may/may not have passed on the way in.

Absolute ignorance.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We've been told we absolutely have to go to the first ORION stop.

Even if that means having to drive past 2 or 3 other stops on the way there, that are on the same street.

So for example, if your first stop is at the end of a Cul-De-Sac, you HAVE to drive all the way down to the end, and deliver that package first, before you can service the other ones that you may/may not have passed on the way in.

Absolute ignorance.
But we do it, thats is what they pay us to do. I know its ludicrous. But we do get paid by the hour. We are not smarter than a map.