right to work law

• Thread starter seasonal helper
  • Start date

ski or die

Ski or Die
You work in Indiana, which is covered by Central States, in which the union has negotiated a wage that's effectively $15/hour -- 50% more than UPSers earn in other places, including California.

Indiana minimum wage = $7.25, which is what most employers are offering for seasonal employment
UPS driver helping wage = $15, as a derivative of the collective bargaining agreement.

Say you worked 100 hours in December, you'd earn $725 at a non-union job and $1500 at this union job -- more than DOUBLE. And you're upset with the prospect of paying $37.50 back in dues? Seriously?

This exemplifies everything wrong with RTW.
Indianapolis is Local 710. Pension paid out of Chicago. They use Local 135 for all union problems which is located in Indianapolis. Unless a change was made at some point, the pension money may still be being deposited in 710. Can't see 710 giving up that much in contributions.

brett636

As far as I know full timers covered by Local 135 in Indiana will remain in the Local 710 pension fund for the foreseeable future. Nobody I know wants to leave local 710s pension fund.

Reading this posters story I have to admit assuming he is telling the truth he may very well have a case against UPS. Indiana is a right to work state and therefore union membership is completely optional. I always thought it was a total screwjob to force seasonal employees to pay union initiation fees and dues to a union that has no ability or interest in protecting them. My guess is HR hasn't gotten the memo that union membership is optional now and they are just going by the old rules. I hope this guy wins if his story is true because the law is the law and honestly I can't blame him for this position.

brett636

You work in Indiana, which is covered by Central States, in which the union has negotiated a wage that's effectively $15/hour -- 50% more than UPSers earn in other places, including California.

Indiana minimum wage = $7.25, which is what most employers are offering for seasonal employment
UPS driver helping wage = $15, as a derivative of the collective bargaining agreement.

Say you worked 100 hours in December, you'd earn $725 at a non-union job and $1500 at this union job -- more than DOUBLE. And you're upset with the prospect of paying $37.50 back in dues? Seriously?

This exemplifies everything wrong with RTW.

If anything this exemplifies everything that is right with RTW. Every seasonal employee paying for union membership is effectively paying for nothing. They get no protection what so ever from the union unless they are hired on permanently and even then they have to survive another 30 days before the union will be there in case they get in trouble. I don't see why this person has to pay union dues for these very reasons. If he his just here for a temporary job to work at and has no intention of trying to get on permanently then why should he pay for a union that will not give him squat in terms of a return on his money?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If anything this exemplifies everything that is right with RTW. Every seasonal employee paying for union membership is effectively paying for nothing. They get no protection what so ever from the union unless they are hired on permanently and even then they have to survive another 30 days before the union will be there in case they get in trouble. I don't see why this person has to pay union dues for these very reasons. If he his just here for a temporary job to work at and has no intention of trying to get on permanently then why should he pay for a union that will not give him squat in terms of a return on his money?

He IS getting a return on his money -- the union has negotiated a pay rate that's nearly twice that of what UPS pays elsewhere in the country. If he lived in Washington State or California, where local minimum wage can exceed that of what UPS is paying, I'd buy into that argument, but that's certainly not the case here.

Inthegame

Where in the union contract does it specify the sesonal rate?
Seasonal rates are the start rate for the classification. NM Art 22 for part time, NM Art 41 for FT and CRT Art 19 Sec 7 for pkg car helpers (in the Central). All of these rates are minimums and can (and have been) adjusted upwards.

Ron Carey lives on

Well,well,well I can't believe smurf is on this post. Same ole zhit from him, I see. The koch bros cheerleader will degend rtw enthusiast will defend this divide and conquer law till he can't post anymore

Sent using BrownCafe App