Right to work state

bumped

Governor Elect, Scott Walker, from Wisconsin want to make Wisconsin a right to work state. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Overpaid Union Thug

The advantage of being in a right to work state (notice I typed it in its plural form) is that the union has more incentive to perform their duties due to the fact that they are having to prove themselves to non dues paying employee in order to increase membership, therefore, increasing the amount of dues coming in. The disadvantages...well...too many to list.

bbsam

Staff member
The advantage of being in a right to work state (notice I typed it in its plural form) is that the union has more incentive to perform their duties due to the fact that they are having to prove themselves to non dues paying employee in order to increase membership, therefore, increasing the amount of dues coming in. The disadvantages...well...too many to list.

Notice that to 407, that also is a disadvantag.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Does a right to work state put more heat on the union to perform and if so is it a good thing?

yeldarb

The union has to represent the non paying members, however, might not work as hard, to help the non paying dues employee out.

midwestmess

The union has to represent you its called DFR (duty free representation) if they don't represent you equally then they can face a lawsuit. Those that are not union are just reaping the benefits that union employees pay to get a fair contract negotiated.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
You also get to save the union dues each month. Comes out to 2 tanks of gas a month. For a driver that does his job, and has little or no need for union representation, it would prolly be a good deal.

MobileBA

Everyone should be able to opt out of the Union, then we can rely on the generosity of UPS corporate for the wages and benefits that you know they we continue to pay us.

"You also get to save the union dues each month. Comes out to 2 tanks of gas a month. For a driver that does his job, and has little or no need for union representation, it would prolly be a good deal."

Maybe the first thing the company would do is slow the growth of wages and benefits equivalent to what you were paying in Union dues (there goes those two tanks of gas) and then we start down that slippery slope because there will always be an excuse to why we should do with less. Bad economy, slow growth, volume is down, profit-loss margin.......blah.....blah. Then you will wake up one morning realizing your working for minimum wage (hyperbola) and wishing we had a Union and didn't live in a right to work environment.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Everyone should be able to opt out of the Union, then we can rely on the generosity of UPS corporate for the wages and benefits that you know they we continue to pay us.

"You also get to save the union dues each month. Comes out to 2 tanks of gas a month. For a driver that does his job, and has little or no need for union representation, it would prolly be a good deal."

Maybe the first thing the company would do is slow the growth of wages and benefits equivalent to what you were paying in Union dues (there goes those two tanks of gas) and then we start down that slippery slope because there will always be an excuse to why we should do with less. Bad economy, slow growth, volume is down, profit-loss margin.......blah.....blah. Then you will wake up one morning realizing your working for minimum wage (hyperbola) and wishing we had a Union and didn't live in a right to work environment.
Well said. You don't know what you got til it's gone.

JonFrum

The union has to represent you its called DFR (duty free representation) if they don't represent you equally then they can face a lawsuit. Those that are not union are just reaping the benefits that union employees pay to get a fair contract negotiated.
Actually it's called Duty of Fair Representation. "Duty Free" is for certain goods carried thru an international airport.
Isn't this what UPS has been doing since 1982 when they slashed wages for the majority of it's Teamster-represented employees who are not Top-Rate Drivers?

The Starting Wage of $8.50 is already below the Minimum Wage in at least one state, and will be in more states as the Contract Years tick by. And if you subtract dues and initiation fees from those wages, then even more part-timers are effectively making below Minimum Wage, with little or no benefits.

Kae3106

Actually it's called Duty of Fair Representation. "Duty Free" is for certain goods carried thru an international airport.

Isn't this what UPS has been doing since 1982 when they slashed wages for the majority of it's Teamster-represented employees who are not Top-Rate Drivers?

The Starting Wage of $8.50 is already below the Minimum Wage in at least one state, and will be in more states as the Contract Years tick by. And if you subtract dues and initiation fees from those wages, then even more part-timers are effectively making below Minimum Wage, with little or no benefits.

If an employee is working in a state with a minimum wage higher than the $8.50 starting contract rate, they start at the state minimum rate. No one is paid less than the state minimum wage per hour. After tax/dues/fees take home pay may be less but the hourly rate is at least the minimum wage in each state.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I'd say that this an accurate statement but incomplete in its content.
UPS part time employees out number the full time/top scale drivers and 22.3's combined.
They have the voting power to change their circumstances but repeatedly choose not exercise their voice in ratifying a contract.
This is why it is what it is.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
We all know the union is 100% honest and legit and they would never fail to perform thier obligations to the fullest extent possible, even in a right to work state for a non-paying represented employee. After all, it is the law. They are legally oligated to represnet non-union members in the same way they represnet union employees.

By the way, have you ever heard of a non-paying employee being represnted by the union in an arbitration?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yes. But, do they really? One can never be sure.

I am a Steward in a right to work state. I will give 100% to every member that needs represented. Most of the time I have no idea that they are non members because I try to be impartial. However, once I find out they are not members and I helped them out, I will take them a membership aplication and ask them to join. I will explain the benefits we help them to have and leave them the application. So far we are 99% members in my center and the only reason we are not 100% is the seasonal drivers that have not gained seniority.

Overpaid Union Thug

We all know the union is 100% honest and legit and they would never fail to perform thier obligations to the fullest extent possible, even in a right to work state for a non-paying represented employee. After all, it is the law. They are legally oligated to represnet non-union members in the same way they represnet union employees.

By the way, have you ever heard of a non-paying employee being represnted by the union in an arbitration?

I am a Steward in a right to work state. I will give 100% to every member that needs represented. Most of the time I have no idea that they are non members because I try to be impartial. However, once I find out they are not members and I helped them out, I will take them a membership aplication and ask them to join. I will explain the benefits we help them to have and leave them the application. So far we are 99% members in my center and the only reason we are not 100% is the seasonal drivers that have not gained seniority.

We have "stewards" that don't give 100% to non union employees. It is silly and counterproductive. Especially when they straight up tell them that they "can't help them out" unless they join. I don't think they know thats illegal. Either way......you'd think they'd realize that not performing their duties at 100% isn't a good way to sell them on joining.