Right to work

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Thatguy123, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Thatguy123

Thatguy123 Member

I'm a relatively new full time cover driver and have been with the company for 7 years. Long story short, we got a fill in center manager for a month because our other one is out with surgery. Now this new center manager is saying on days that us cover drivers are extras, we can't ask other drivers with more seniority to go home because we're at the bottom of the totem pole. Really?? They want to go home so why does it matter.. Also, they've talked about doing layoffs since it's slowed down and making us do preload. Am I guaranteed 8 hrs of work if that happens and do I stay at driver pay? This is just bs to me and all started once she took over.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Get the cell phone numbers of the senior drivers of the routes that you cover and text them in the morning to see if any of them want the day off.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Only 8/hour guarantee if you drive and deliver ground.

4. Thatguy123

Thatguy123 Member

That's what I have been doing. She's now saying we can't do that because we have less seniority. My thing is I make about $10 less than they do and they want to go home. Wouldn't that be more motivation for them wanting me to work

5. UpstateNYUPSer

When I was a casual (cover driver) I used to show up dressed and ready to work. There was always someone willing to take the day off.

Keep doing what you are doing.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

...unless you agree to run Code 05...

7. Thatguy123

Thatguy123 Member

Is it right for her telling us we can't ask other drivers to go home? Can she do that? That doesn't seem right

8. 05 is a contract violation. I will never use it. Hand me a broom

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

Does your regular center manager allow this? If so, just hang tight until he/she comes back.

10. Honestly Its not a smart business move. Pay me full rate or pay you half of my rate.

If the guy making the most wants to go home,let him. And pay you much less.!

UPS math, I will never understand it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yeah printed out my time card from Monday and I didn't take all of my break. Noticed at the too it said contract violation give warning letter. Lol

12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Rule number 1. This place rarely makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

It is? Care to give me the article and subsection?

14. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

Depends on your area. Where I am if you are full time permanent ( not temp driver) you can bump 2 part time positions to get an 8 hour guarantee. Ask your shop steward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. upssouth

upssouth Member

You are guaranteed to work 8 as a full time driver. Make them send you home if there is no work available. Then file for your daily guarantee. Also watch your on roads and file on them if they work while you're not. They will find you work.

16. Its in the local,not the master.
    IMG_20150410_204755642.jpg

17. UpstateNYUPSer

The OP is a cover driver who is only guaranteed his 8 if he actually works that day.

18. Thatguy123

Thatguy123 Member

So you're saying I can't get my 8 hours in the hub at night? Only if I work that day?

19. Correct

20. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

After you become full time regular driver, you will be on here asking if you can be sent home so cover drivers can get hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List