Right to work

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When I was a casual (cover driver) I used to show up dressed and ready to work. There was always someone willing to take the day off.

Keep doing what you are doing.
And if there was a higher seniority driver that asked to work and was told no, while you bypassed them, I'd help them fill out a grievance and get 8hrs at double time rate.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm a relatively new full time cover driver and have been with the company for 7 years. Long story short, we got a fill in center manager for a month because our other one is out with surgery. Now this new center manager is saying on days that us cover drivers are extras, we can't ask other drivers with more seniority to go home because we're at the bottom of the totem pole. Really?? They want to go home so why does it matter.. Also, they've talked about doing layoffs since it's slowed down and making us do preload. Am I guaranteed 8 hrs of work if that happens and do I stay at driver pay? This is just bs to me and all started once she took over.
What matters is there are guys in front of you that asked to work and were told no, no routes available. I bet some senior guys were being told to stay home while guys like Upstate came in just grabbed routes from FT drivers that wanted a day off. I'd line the center manager's desk with grievances if this was going on in our center.

upssouth

The OP is a cover driver who is only guaranteed his 8 if he actually works that day.

I'm aware. Is the language different?

Here in the south ft cover drivers are guaranteed 8 by showing up. If we go home they put it in as scheduled off...no vacation day used. The op sounds like what would be a TCD here.

DOK

When I was a casual (cover driver) I used to show up dressed and ready to work. There was always someone willing to take the day off.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Ditto, I ran a couple rural routes blind with only a map. A lot less packages and time commitments back then. Being newly married and a new mortgage holder is a heck of a motivator.

OP keep at it. Maybe your center manager is upset at one of the guys that always wants off and is not letting him off to punish him. I've seen that before, only lasts a short time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm aware. Is the language different?

Here in the south ft cover drivers are guaranteed 8 by showing up. If we go home they put it in as scheduled off...no vacation day used. The op sounds like what would be a TCD here.

If you are talking about a FT bid cover driver then you are correct that he/she is guaranteed 8 hours of work every day.

If you are talking about a cover driver (we call them casuals here) he/she is only guaranteed 8 hours if they are put to work that day.

Our casuals work just about every day but if they are not scheduled a quick text to a senior driver gets them on road for the day. I don't mind taking a day here or there to make sure they get their hours.

trickpony1

Don't you have some noble cause to spearhead?

As a matter of fact, and since you brought it up, yes I do.
I've probably done more non-paid volunteer work in the last month that you've done all year and it all involves our Veterans.
How many funerals have you attended to honor our military that have succumbed to PTSD? How many family members of any deceased Veteran have you supported and honored as they cried and anguished over the loss of their loved one who brought the war home with them? I didn't think so.

You might try serving others by doing volunteer work. I hope you will find that there are causes out there that are greater than upstate.

Thanks for asking though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm a relatively new full time cover driver and have been with the company for 7 years. Long story short, we got a fill in center manager for a month because our other one is out with surgery. Now this new center manager is saying on days that us cover drivers are extras, we can't ask other drivers with more seniority to go home because we're at the bottom of the totem pole. Really?? They want to go home so why does it matter.. Also, they've talked about doing layoffs since it's slowed down and making us do preload. Am I guaranteed 8 hrs of work if that happens and do I stay at driver pay? This is just bs to me and all started once she took over.
If you're a regular full time cover driver (ie, not a casual or tcd) you are guaranteed 8 hours if you report at your assigned start time. Actual layoffs require a written notice they can't just send you home unless you agree to go, if you demand 8 they have to give it to you. If you do get laid off you can get your 8 by working 2 part time shifts, obviously this easier if you work at a hub but even at an outlying building you can work preload and local sort. As far as pay goes check your supplement, around here (Atlantic Area) you would be paid either the part time rate you would be making had you stayed PT or the rate of the highest paid part timer in your bldg, whichever is greater.