Rights for Employees regarding security?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by MonavieLeaker, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MonavieLeaker

MonavieLeaker Bringin Teh_Lulz

Just wondering if the Jax HUB is the only one that has to undo our belt buckles completely and take our footwear fully off when leaving the building? What are our rights ( if any) regarding this?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would think unbuckling your belt buckle and taking your shoes off would violate your rights. Does the Union know about this?

3. MonavieLeaker

One of the Stewards was out there but he's useless and was telling us to just go with it

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

He is right--you should always work as directed and grieve later.

What is the reasoning for the extra security measures?

5. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

This is being done in service to the employer. I'm thinking a group grievance to get paid to take off your shoes should give them a hint.

6. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Just wait until they start the cavity search!:panicsmiley:

7. MonavieLeaker

I haven't asked...I'm guessing there was a theft recently....... the head security guy today said there was a 30-day notice given but I never heard anything about it

8. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

As long a you're not stealing who cares? Although they are asking you to do things off the clock right?

9. MonavieLeaker

Correct we're off the clock...I just think it's kinda ridiculous

10. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

I would just keep walking. That, or I would wear shorts which are WAYYY too big, so when I took off my belt my shorts fell down, and on all days....the day when I'm going commando cause I don't have clean drawers

11. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

grieve for harassment every single time, it'll get sorted out somehow

12. Mr Shifter

Mr Shifter Active Member

If the metal detector goes off here you will be asked to take your shoes off. I go trow without incident because I don't set the detectors off but I see the many other workers having to take their boots and belts off. (Even full time feeder drivers) they've been doing this for probably a year now

13. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Baaaa, sounds like a lot of sheep in that building. If they try that here, they will be paying us to take off our shoes and belt.

If they're going to treat me like a criminal, they will pay to do so. It's an easy win, we get paid "for all time spent in the service to the employer". I don't think they'll pay us, but the grievance will stop the stupidity of asking us to remove shoes. You guys got to get some cajones and file.

14. jaker

jaker trolling

Screw that when the boots come off that means I am at home , my question would be is how would you get in trouble since you are off the clock

The reason I ask is because I come from a small hub and we don't have security or even ID badges

15. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Huh.

Maybe I should have questioned it more when they put a stripper pole in the guard shack. We were told it was to make searching a more 'heart healthy' activity. It is a surprising amount of work to slide up a pole, hang upside-down and shake to show our pockets are empty.

16. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Wear some really big pant with no underwear. When they tell you to take off your belt do it. Let gravity go where it goes.

17. CRASH501

CRASH501 New Member

O" i would never take my shoes off and remove my belt, especially off the clock!

18. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

When I take my belt off and the pants dropped, folks gonna start asking why I'm not on disability.

19. fergie33

fergie33 New Member

Are the guards "certified peace officers"? If so, I can't say it better than what was ratified as the 4th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable search and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrents shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

20. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I always tell our guard i have stolen material hidden in my genital area but he never wants to check.