RIP Andy Rooney

I saw that just a few minutes ago. I liked him, thought he was funny in his curmudgeon-ish style. He provided many, hmmmm moments.

He didn't get to enjoy much of his retirement, a month or less. But then some people live for their work instead of working for their lives.

RIP Mr Rooney.
May you be in heaven a full half hour
before the devil knows your dead.

moreluck

golden ticket member
This comes under the thoughts from another thread that you just don't know how much time you have. He retired about a month ago.
R.I.P.

klein

Für Meno :)
r.i.p Andy. You'll be missed.
He worked untik the end, because his job was his hobby, and he had fun doing it. Was damn good at it, too :)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Because thats the way the system has been set up. Whats wrong with expecting to enjoy life after you have spent most of it making money for someone else?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why do so many people think 30 years of retirement is some kind of entitlement?

That is something I don't understand either.
And it appears to be unsustainable for almost all companies going forward.
Not to mention that someone in their 50's and 60's has too much to offer society.

But that brings up the question, "What is retirement?" Does it mean not working anymore or does it mean to quit working at UPS and do something else that brings enjoyment, structure and meaning to your life?

I don't plan to quit working until the day I die but I do plan to "retire" from UPS in the next few years (38 in).

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I saw that just a few minutes ago. I liked him, thought he was funny in his curmudgeon-ish style. He provided many, hmmmm moments.

He didn't get to enjoy much of his retirement, a month or less. But then some people live for their work instead of working for their lives.

RIP Mr Rooney.
May you be in heaven a full half hour
before the devil knows your dead.

I'd say he enjoyed his retirement immensely.
He has been retired for at least 20 years and he did 60 Minutes on the side.

I'd say he enjoyed his retirement immensely.
He has been retired for at least 20 years and he did 60 Minutes on the side.
OK, maybe I should have said his FULL retirement. Working part time is still working. Although I do agree that he may have well thought of it as more of a hobby than a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
OK, maybe I should have said his FULL retirement. Working part time is still working. Although I do agree that he may have well thought of it as more of a hobby than a job.

I wasn't saying you were wrong 555. I was pointing out that he enjoyed what he was doing at 60 minutes and his doing that probably had a lot to do with him living into his 90s.

I have heard from many people who enjoy doing what they do to make money and they say it is not work to them.
I would think that there is probably no one at UPS who "enjoys what they are doing" - we all do it to make money.

That is why I asked the question earlier about what "Retirement" really means. When I retire from UPS, I have absolutely no intent of not working (I plan on Photography as a second career) and will start working the next day.

804brown

Did you ever wonder whhhhhhy they put that little RIP in front of your name when you die?? Dont you just hate that?? I know I do!! ....yes he will be missed!!

I wasn't saying you were wrong 555. I was pointing out that he enjoyed what he was doing at 60 minutes and his doing that probably had a lot to do with him living into his 90s.

I have heard from many people who enjoy doing what they do to make money and they say it is not work to them.
I would think that there is probably no one at UPS who "enjoys what they are doing" - we all do it to make money.

That is why I asked the question earlier about what "Retirement" really means. When I retire from UPS, I have absolutely no intent of not working (I plan on Photography as a second career) and will start working the next day.

I guess I misunderstood what you meant. Anyway, I agree that what AR did every week probably didn't seem too much like work. He had pretty much a free hand to do what he wanted on his weekly segment and I doubt it was stressful to him.

In my retirement I have become a house husband , remodeling grunt(when the body co-operates), chauffeur for the elderly (my M-I-L) and a gogether. The pay sucks but the fringe benefits are great. I have considered trying to get a job but not sure I want a structured regiment to comply with. Some mornings I get up with my back not hurting and I do lots of things around the house, some days....not so well. So far this is serving my wife and me well. I hope your intended career as a photog is as successful as you want it to be.

BTW, we have at least one ex-upser here on BC that is now a successful professional photog.

moreluck

golden ticket member
WiseT20111106_low.jpg

Sunday,
© 2011

[h=3][/h]

Catatonic

Nine Lives
BTW, we have at least one ex-upser here on BC that is now a successful professional photog.

Yes she is ... mostly weddings which is where most the money is in photography. She has a nice eye and lots of experience.

I do mot plan to work as hard as her ... maybe 1/3 as hard - I will be in retirement from UPS you know.

island1fox

I guess I misunderstood what you meant. Anyway, I agree that what AR did every week probably didn't seem too much like work. He had pretty much a free hand to do what he wanted on his weekly segment and I doubt it was stressful to him.

In my retirement I have become a house husband , remodeling grunt(when the body co-operates), chauffeur for the elderly (my M-I-L) and a gogether. The pay sucks but the fringe benefits are great. I have considered trying to get a job but not sure I want a structured regiment to comply with. Some mornings I get up with my back not hurting and I do lots of things around the house, some days....not so well. So far this is serving my wife and me well. I hope your intended career as a photog is as successful as you want it to be.

trpinkl,

When I first retired I took steps to get my Teachers license re-issued and fully believed I would go back to work. After a number of months of going to bed when I wanted to and getting up when I woke up naturally , not by an alarm clock -I realized that I would never hold a job again. Like you I do many things around the house that while I was working at UPS would never consider. I found out that I have a talent for "Landscape Design" Like you some days the body is ready and looking forward to hard work-- other days a good book in front of the fireplace with my cat on my lap is unbeatable.:happy-very: