RLA PETITION

bbsam

Staff member
Here's the problem. Nobody seems to care. Look at the signature count. Barely 800 of the 100,000 needed. Who even thinks of this issue? If by the March 17th deadline there are 20,000 or less signatures, Fred could take this poll himself to members of Congress and say, "See? It's a non issue. Of the 300 million people in the country, statistically, nobody cares.". There is no incentive for congress or the president to act and no price to pay if they don't act.

Serf

Here's the problem. Nobody seems to care. Look at the signature count. Barely 800 of the 100,000 needed. Who even thinks of this issue? If by the March 17th deadline there are 20,000 or less signatures, Fred could take this poll himself to members of Congress and say, "See? It's a non issue. Of the 300 million people in the country, statistically, nobody cares.". There is no incentive for congress or the president to act and no price to pay if they don't act.
The "deport Justin Beiber" petition has more signatures then the RLA petition. You are right, this isn't turning any heads.

hypo hanna

All the more reason the AFL-CIO should get involved. Spread the word and rally the membership to sign. An incredably inexpensive way to show that they are still relevant to working people.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!

Would you have known about the petition, if it wasn't posted here? NO!

So those that are interested, spread the word.

DONE.

Nuff said.

bbsam

Staff member
Would you have known about the petition, if it wasn't posted here? NO!

So those that are interested, spread the word.

DONE.

Nuff said.
Absolutely. But I still think the couriers' cause would have been better suited if they could have gotten out front and center with Occupy Wall Street or when WalMart employees were on strike. WalMart employees have gotten out front to let the country know how crappy their company is. Why shouldn't FedEx employees do the same unless Fedex employees feel they have more to lose than WalMart employees.

Serf

For everyone who disagrees with the post above: I will be back in the forum tomorrow morning. I would expect more than a disagree click. Maybe a reasonable explanation as to why you disagree.

P

prodriver

Absolutely. But I still think the couriers' cause would have been better suited if they could have gotten out front and center with Occupy Wall Street or when WalMart employees were on strike. WalMart employees have gotten out front to let the country know how crappy their company is. Why shouldn't FedEx employees do the same unless Fedex employees feel they have more to lose than WalMart employees.
Of course they have a lot more to lose, sometimes the job someone hates with a passion isn't so bad when they are about to lose it or try to find another comparable in pay.

CJinx

The petition benchmark just means the administration has to respond, even if it means they'll just say to go pound sand.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
For everyone who disagrees with the post above: I will Maybe a reasonable explanation as to why you disagree.[/quote

Ok. I'll bite. I don't know whether you wrote that or copied it from sonewhere, but it contains a lot of blanket statements and compares apples to oranges, ie. other industries and unions and delivery companies and IBT.

1. I agree with this to a point. Unions DID help the cause of the American workers and also create problems, such as bad teachers in NYC not being able to be fired. But I don't feel that unions are ALL bad.

2. Apples to oranges. FedEx Express has highest prices, non union. UPS, union, prices close to fedex. USPS, union, cheaper prices. FedEx Ground, non union, cheapest prices.

3. Again, apples to oranges. People in India, China, etc can't dlvr packages here. Irrelevant

4. We dlvr packages from point A to point B. As long as you don't steal or falsify, it's pretty hard to get fired at FedEx too. Less proficient workers are protected from firing here because as long as they show up, they are good.

5. Apples to oranges.

6. Who curries more favor in Washington than Fred S?

7. Apples to oranges. Plenty of non union people at FedEx.

8. Any company, union or non union has plenty of lazy people. With the onroad goals expected by both FEdEx and UPS this is a moot point. If anything, the newer couriers know they will never reach top pay, so why rush?

9. We already have an innate distrust of mgmt in a lot of cases. We used to work for a common goal. Now it's us against them.

10. That's why members pay their dues.

11. This is one point I agree with you on. People should be able to choose whether they want to be in a union or not, however, if they choose not to, they shouldn't be able to reap the benefits of union representation. "Substantial dues" though? Don't believe the hype Fedex fed us for so long. Dues aren't substantial.

12. Apples and oranges again. We don't get to negotiate ANYTHING. It is what it is.

13. Probably still true. Lol.

14. Seems to me, considering how cash rich UPS is, they're having no problems getting investors.

bbsam

Staff member
Has anybody considered a small but intense event? Like a "wild cat" in New York or Washington D.C.? Something that would really make Memphis answer some tough questions? Everyone would be fired of course, but it takes a spark to get a fire and seems some around here want a fire. Probably have some senior couriers prodding others to do it and then show up to work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Has anybody considered a small but intense event? Like a "wild cat" in New York or Washington D.C.? Something that would really make Memphis answer some tough questions? Everyone would be fired of course, but it takes a spark to get a fire and seems some around here want a fire. Probably have some senior couriers prodding others to do it and then show up to work.

Ha Ha. Gee, who was that comment pointed at? What you don't understand is the Express environment. A "small but intense event" would get some attention, and everyone fired...unless it was done correctly, as in everyone calls-in sick as opposed to a refusal to work. The best type of event would be a National Sick Day, where most employees agree to do it and then actually follow-through.

Your thinly-veiled mockery of me belies your increasing presence here as an operative of the company. And now, you're a moderator too, exactly where FedEx would want a pro-FedExer to be.

bbsam

Staff member
lol. FedEx operative. No. Not a "sick out". A bold "in your face" attention getter with news coverage and everything. You've always wanted national attention for the cause, haven't you? If you can't get a small scale flare up, a national movement is dead in the water.

Remember when Spock was in the shuttle craft and illogically burned the remaining fuel to signal the Enterprise?

As far as me being a mod, what in the FedEx boards have I ever modded to benefit FedEx in any way, shape or form?

1. Preface: Long ago before the Union became outdated and antiquated. They laid the basic foundation for what the American worker should look and be like. After that, it's been a cluster :censored2:.
  2. Unions lead to higher prices for consumers since companies must pay more for wages & benefits, which are then passed on to customers.
  3. Unions make the country less competitive since non-unionized companies in India, China, Taiwan, etc. can pay workers far less and therefore charge less and/or assign more workers per unit of product. With Europe being the lone exception. Major manufacturers will leave to go abroad because of this and tax breaks.
  4. Unions often prevent more qualified workers from getting the jobs. Less proficient workers are often protected from layoffs or firing; thus, new positions open less frequently.
  5. Society and companies are often held hostage to the essential services of certain unions (e.g. teachers, police, construction workers, air traffic controllers, etc.); thus, negotiation becomes less about fairness to workers than about companies meeting the demands of union extortion.
  6. Unions have become a source of political power and corruption. Since unions can offer a large block of voters, politicians will often curry favor from unions and screw over the taxpayers. Consequently, union representatives concentrate on helping their favorite politicians and political party rather than doing what's best for the members. All while pocketing membership fees.
  7. It prevents the firing of clearly incompetent workers. Several poorly-performing teachers on tenure as well as most government workers are clear examples. Over bloated pensions, and promote entitlement and laziness.
  8. Unions lead to less productivity and job motivation since pay levels are usually determined by seniority rather than performance. The lack of incentives such as increased pay or promotion, as well as the lesser threat of losing their jobs, leads to workers putting out less effort than they otherwise would. With the attitude of "no need to bust my butt, I'll get to that pay scale anyways.
  9. It creates an "us" vs. "them" hostility between ownership and workers. An innate distrust between white and blue collar.
  10. Unions focus on the needs of the members at the expense of non-union members & society, as evidenced by labor unrest all over the world as governments try to rein in unsustainable spending.
  11. For many types of jobs, union membership is required for the position, along with substantial cash dues on a regular basis. This is inherently anti-freedom.
  12. It decreases the flexibility of both employee and employer in negotiating wages, benefits, and other items. Especially with the technological advances of today and multi-working families, employees often want to customize work hours & location, fringe benefits (e.g. more vacation time, no health insurance), and pay (e.g. per hour or per project vs. salaried). Unions tie the hands of both employee and employer in such situations. They inhibit INNOVATION.
  13. Unions have in the past had ties with organized crime or communist organizations, which are fundamentally trying to harm the nation's free market system. Google Union Thug, and tell me how proud you are. Protect the middle class!
  14. Unions reduce the investment dollars that are put into a company since investors are less willing to take on the risks of work stoppages, higher costs, and decreased management flexibility. Like it or not, that is what it's all about in the 21st century friends.

Unions are great the more you make the more we take called fairness we all share in the profits . Company's making billions off of back of workers . You better believe I will have a say in how they treat me and compensate me for my hard working efforts. I brath the same air as they do this is a democracy .