Road Runners.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I don't get too nervous about run a race that I have ran before, but if it's a longer distance or I'm not sure about the course I get a little nervous. Last year I was worried about my first Triathlon and I hard time sleeping before the race. I'm a poor swimmer and wasn't sure I could make it. If you train well, that helps build confidence. I don't worry about my finished time; I just hope I finish. I'm starting to train for my first marathon this May, and I'm a little worried about being able to finishing it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
"Chilly morning" 50 degrees? Thats funny as can be. We had some wind chills at zero this past week in Atlanta, I'm sure the folks up north will laugh at that!:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
"Chilly morning" 50 degrees? Thats funny as can be. We had some wind chills at zero this past week in Atlanta, I'm sure the folks up north will laugh at that!:happy-very:

I don't envy the cold weather UPS'ers. While working the other day, my hand slipped while disconnecting my TP60. I hit some metal thing and man did the cold make it hurt twice as bad.

drewed

Shankman
Steve I def dont have a lot of exp running but breathing is the key to it...the endurance and your bodys capacity to work is limited on the 02 going into your blood stream so id say beyond actually running thats the best thing to get down pat....also the air temp could have hampered your breathing if it was cooler then you normally train in.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve I def dont have a lot of exp running but breathing is the key to it...the endurance and your bodys capacity to work is limited on the 02 going into your blood stream so id say beyond actually running thats the best thing to get down pat....also the air temp could have hampered your breathing if it was cooler then you normally train in.

That's very "trew". I totally agree and have come a long way in this area, but still have far to go. I guess if I'm going to break any records or achieve my goals I'll need to train with faster people, as well.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Actually, 50 degrees is darn near perfect racing weather. It has to get a heck of a lot colder than that before it affects your breathing.

drewed

Shankman
Actually, 50 degrees is darn near perfect racing weather. It has to get a heck of a lot colder than that before it affects your breathing.

IDK for me it messed with me during the summer its about 65 degree and i got use to it one day i went out and it was about 45 dropped my mile by about a minute

DS

Fenderbender
Steve,do me a favour,when you are delivering to the pharmacy,take your blood pressure at one of those free machines and take a photo of it.
I bet its 160 over 95

Bad Gas!

STUG,
Enjoy the races.My knees have quit after 30 years running and 27 on car.I miss the races, the jitters and the runners high.....and being 20 pounds lighter....The jitters are great for getting your stomach empty before the race....Always pack some toilet paper in your pocket just in case the porta john's are too full 10 before the start..

Big Babooba

LOL, if only! Here's what I looked like after the race. Not to mention that it was only 50 degrees out this morning.

attachment.php
Time for a beeyah!:happy-very:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If it's anywhere close to those levels you better make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your options :surprised:.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
This is for all you runners out there. Not the runners and gunners, mind you. I'm talking about people who run/jog competetively. I've been running races, 5k to 13.1miles, for about 3 years now. I also cycle, but that's another story.

Any of you get pre-race jitters? I mean, where you wake up way early, the day of the race, and start pacing through your mind about how you'll run and how you think you will, or would like to do? I find that everyday before the race, I start playing out scenarios in my head. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way.

I know, I know, this is the Brown Cafe, and not a sports forum. I'm just asking, because I know that there are a bunch of running UPS'ers out there, and I'd like some of your input, training tips would also help. Thanks.:peaceful:

BTW, I ran a 5k today. Finished 15th overall at 20:09. That's not shabby by some standards, but by my own, I sucked. I wanted to run under 19:30.:dissapointed:

I always thought a Road Runner was one of those birds I see running by out here in the desert. BTW I HATE people who run alongside the road, especially at night, we have all kinds of trails and tracks for that, in my opinion they are putting their safety at risk.