Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ran a Memorial Day 5k today. Finished in 20:50, which is a sucky time, though I did place 4th in my age group. I think I need to devote more time to running and less time to body building. I'm too competetive to be a mediocre runner. Oh yeah; Man, was it hot.
100_9696.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Do you shave your chest when you shave your head....?

LOLLOLOLOL <you don't have to answer that!!!>

Swear to God, before I read the post I saw the pic and thought "Vin Diesel"!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
stevetheupsguy said:
Now you're speaking my language. Will you run some shorter races while ramping up? What's your training schedule like? You can PM me the answers so as not to HI-JACK this thread, or you can post it in the Road Runners thread, as it may be helpful to others. Thanks!
Training for an ultra isn't much different than standard marathon training, it's all about the mileage. If you're ready for a marathon you're ready for a 50k. For a 50 miler you want some longer training runs under your belt, 25-30 milers as opposed to 18-20 for a marathon. Most ultras are on trail, often in the mountains, so you need to get some training on that kind of terrain to get used to the hills.

As you can see, just training on the roads won't get you ready this one. I'm currently running 6 days a week, tue/thurs are progression runs, Mon/Wed/Fri are easy/recovery runs, Sunday is long run. Saturday I chill out. I don't have any shorter races picked out right now, I may do a half marathon in the fall depending on how I feel.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Have you ever owned a garmin before, Steve? I had a 205 and got a 305 a few years ago. I love the 305.
Never. This one is way cool. It's light like a regular watch, yet does so much. I uploaded my data to the website, which is the best way of keeping track of mileage, calories burned, etc... Hard to keep track of all of this, as I bike and run so much. I'm going to get the cadence sensor and the indoor foot pod for Father's day, (I hope:wink2:). Do you want to see my typical commute to work data?

tourists24

Never. This one is way cool. It's light like a regular watch, yet does so much. I uploaded my data to the website, which is the best way of keeping track of mileage, calories burned, etc... Hard to keep track of all of this, as I bike and run so much. I'm going to get the cadence sensor and the indoor foot pod for Father's day, (I hope:wink2:). Do you want to see my typical commute to work data?
what is a cadence sensor and indoor foot pod?

tourists24

Stug,,,, how many calories do you intake a day? what kind of diet? and how do you fit you meals into your working (if you eat the number of times I suspect you do)?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stug,,,, how many calories do you intake a day? what kind of diet? and how do you fit you meals into your working (if you eat the number of times I suspect you do)?
I haven't calculated my caloric intake, though I'm sure my output way exceeds my input. For instance, I went to work on Monday weighing 178 and when I returned home I weighed 168. Left the house today weighing 174 and returned home weighing 167. I rode almost 27 miles and ran 8.25 miles.

I usually pack sveral sandwiches and some healthy granola and protein bars, so's I can eat every couple of hours, though today I woke up 15 minutes late and ran out of the house with just a protein shake and some electrolyte liquid. It's been brutally hot and humid here. I carry a 64oz cup in the pkg car that I keep filled with ice and usually unsweet tea, all day. I drank about 6 of em today and hardly had to pee.

sano

I haven't calculated my caloric intake, though I'm sure my output way exceeds my input. For instance, I went to work on Monday weighing 178 and when I returned home I weighed 168. Left the house today weighing 174 and returned home weighing 167. I rode almost 27 miles and ran 8.25 miles.

I usually pack sveral sandwiches and some healthy granola and protein bars, so's I can eat every couple of hours, though today I woke up 15 minutes late and ran out of the house with just a protein shake and some electrolyte liquid. It's been brutally hot and humid here. I carry a 64oz cup in the pkg car that I keep filled with ice and usually unsweet tea, all day. I drank about 6 of em today and hardly had to pee.
I think same day weight loss like that would usually be attributed to dehydration. However, that is alot of liquid you are drinking so i don't know.
On a side note, my brother, who is a nursing student, told me recently that peoples bodies get used to being dehydrated and function quite well with less water, but long term low hydration is the #1 cause of kidney stones.

BTW Steve, great work on your fitness. Color me impressed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My whole family ran their first 5k last night. It's actually the 2nd 5k for my 6 year old, who ran her first at 5 years old. The name of the race was the Downtown Dash and it started at 7pm. It was amazingly not as hot out as it had been earlier in the day where it reached 97 degrees.

My 13 year old finished in 37:18, followed by my Wife 42:29, 6 year old 42:30, 8 year old 46:45 and 7 year old 46:52 A great job for all considering they walked and ran the course. On a lighter note, everyone is gimping around today with sore muscles.:happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My whole family ran their first 5k last night. It's actually the 2nd 5k for my 6 year old, who ran her first at 5 years old. The name of the race was the Downtown Dash and it started at 7pm. It was amazingly not as hot out as it had been earlier in the day where it reached 97 degrees.

My 13 year old finished in 37:18, followed by my Wife 42:29, 6 year old 42:30, 8 year old 46:45 and 7 year old 46:52 A great job for all considering they walked and ran the course. On a lighter note, everyone is gimping around today with sore muscles.:happy2:
What was your finish time? :wink2:

Red Dawn

did a "night run last week, time 19:42..and had been a pool party with kids right before race. i Did this race last year and really like running a night. they didn't have enough lights last year and i guess that's why the time was moved up. i Didn't pay attention of time of day 6:30pm! was just trying to squeeze it in. it was 102! it was not as fun it was hot! and i don't like to get water on run but this time i tried and spilt it lol..