Road Test Attire

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Do not hit clutch(while braking) until PC is about to die, then you should be slow enough not to have to downshift, until stopped, then put emergency brake on, and put in neutral. Then when about to start up, put in first, release ebrake, and off you go.
There's a first gear?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I rode with a new driver on his second day since I knew part of his route and we were short supervisors. I was on TAW so we got away coding it as safety committee work. He had one bulk stop in a P-1000 and residentials the rest of the day. He was new to a manual and had a lot of trouble with it. I told him to forget about first gear since it was geared too low. He didn't have any trouble after that.

upschuck

When I took my test, they said to get it in second gear before you make the left hand turn, and that first gear was only to get it moving.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hey everyone

I've got my road test on Monday and aside from not showing up in flip-flops and a three piece Versace suit, are there any recommendations you have about what to/ what to not wear?

The reason I ask is that during our interview session, the dress code ran the gambit from full suits to "pants on the ground." I'm guessing that utilitarian is the way to go.

Thanks.
I am surprised that this question comes up so often from new hires, drivers, and management wannebes.

the general rule of thumb is to come "dressed ready to work."

so if you are a new hire for the building dress in work clothes and sturdy work shoes or boots. The same for a driver road test. Dress as if they were going to put you to work right away.

If applying for management , wear dress clothes, suit and tie or pant suit.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
When I took my test, they said to get it in second gear before you make the left hand turn, and that first gear was only to get it moving.
and don't ever shift while going over rail road tracks. that's how they flunked a lot of people at my old hub.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Don't listen to any of these people.

Fire suit and gloves, driving shoes, a full face helmet with a HANS device.

Show them how much you want to drive.

trickpony1

I believe that it is stated in the CDL handbook from the DMV.

I think Beech is correct on this.
We were taught not to shift going over RR tracks or while turning across lanes of traffic.
By not shifting there's NO chance of missing a gear or getting jammed between gears in a precarious (I used a big word) situation.