Road test before or during school?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by optikz, Sep 14, 2016.

1. optikz

optikz Member

just curious how the road test and schooling work. I've searched the forums and i get the impression you do your road test BEFORE they send you to school? or do they do that while you're at school?

2. McGee

McGee Well-Known Member

Before

3. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

While you are at school during recess!

4. ThyDevourer

ThyDevourer Member

In my center we take a preliminary road test (basically to prove to them you can operate a stick shift). Then the last day of the class we take another slightly longer road test that evaluates backing and 5/10 point commentary.

5. opey

opey Member

^yup, both. one to get to class, and one to get out. i guess it may vary depending on where you are, but expect this.

6. optikz

optikz Member

I'm confused because I was told by the HR rep that the road test is done before I go, and the schooling part will consist of me driving in a mock town making deliveries in an automatic. she said there were no live road test?

7. davidix

davidix Member

Yeah you'll get a driver test before class. They just want to make sure you can handle the truck. Might want to read up on the 5 and 10 as they might ask you during the ride. Don't grind the gears, don't speed, leave 1 car length distance when stopped in traffic. And don't crash :). You can't lose more than 125 points a believe.

8. Watch_Tower

Watch_Tower New Member

The class is to teach you UPS safety. Not to teach you to drive stick. The road test is done normally a couple weeks before the class by a supervisor only to make sure you can handle a package car. You must be able to drive stick.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Not necessarily true.

10. Geo926

Geo926 Active Member

Delivering in a mock town lol. Will they have mannequins waiting at the door for you? My god this place just gets funnier and funnier.