Road test expectations (do we have to downshift?, or can coast to a stop in neutral?)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by AstroBoy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

So I've been driving a stick for about a month now but I drive with my own habits that I just learned. Can someone please share what they expect and tell me the ups proper road test way to drive a stick.

I assume we cant shift gears while turning? how do they want us to come to a complete stop? I usually shift into neutral and coast to a stop. Will I be expected to downshift into each gear?
  2. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

No coasting.

To come to a stop, use the brake and just before it stalls, hit the clutch. Put on E brake.
  3. Man Of Brown

Man Of Brown Active Member

No shifting on turns and dont downshift. I usually put it into neutral and come to a stop. You can put it in gear while you're looking left right left.
  4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

You can stay in 4th as you slow down to stop and hit the clutch just before you stop.
  5. upschuck

Coasting was about the only thing that my road tester told me not to do, if I remember properly. That was a long time ago, though
  6. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Don't coast to a stop. Just pop into neautral right before complete stop.

No shifting in intersections/corners.

stop a couple feet behind the white line so that you can shift into second before going into a intersection.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

It is always considered safer to keep it in gear vs coasting in neutral.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

Thanks guys. So it doesn't hurt the truck at all to brake all the way with out downshifting? (Of course I know the clutch has to be in before I stop completely) I already passed the road test but am going to school monday. The guy I road test with seemed like he wanted me to have the clutch in as I hit the brakes everytime.

And the the truck I drove was a five speed. Are they all five speed?
  9. rod

rod retired and happy

Now once you pass and get into the Union you can dynamite the brakes at the stop sign to check to see if the on car sup has his seatbelt fastened correctly---also pop the clutch just as he is jumping into the truck at a delivery stop. They love that.
  10. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Brakes are cheaper than transmissions.
  11. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

Leave it in "D" until you get to your next stop, then shift to "P". :happy-very:

Haven't driven a manual transmission in almost 10 years. :likeit:

Oh yeah, I don't drive when it snows either.:hapydancsmil:
  12. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Well that...and don't hit anything. And ribbit.
  13. You forgot,grind some gears!
  14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

15. Or blow through the stop sign,and show them how fast you are!
  16. You killed upschuck? wtf? wonder if I can still grill,those legs?
  17. bleedinbrown58

Ewww...poor froggie
  18. upschuck

Goes to show you that you should never stop in the middle of the road and pick lint out of your navel.
  19. bleedinbrown58

Lint? You sure it wasn't a fly?
  20. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

As an exception I would like to add that on slick roads the truck will stop better if in neutral. If you brake while in gear the truck is more apt to slide.

Sent using BrownCafe App
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List