Road test for PC Air driver

lowats

Hey can anyone give me any advice/what to expect for my road test next week? I currently have my CDL & have been driving semis for 6months at my 2nd job. (10 speed)
But I've only been driving stick for about 8 months in total. I know everyone says that they will give me the worst truck to test in...
Also will they let me play around with it for a few mins before I test? Thank you

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, they should let you drive it around the parking lot for a few minutes to get used to the shifting sequence.

Locally they use the same road test as the one given by the DMV.

Good luck and don't hit nuthin'.

lowats

Thanks, do u know is it stick like car where you have to put foot to floor or stick like semi where you only have to push like half way down..?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks, do u know is it stick like car where you have to put foot to floor or stick like semi where you only have to push like half way down..?

I have never driven a semi but I think you are talking about double clutching. Shifting in a PC is closer to a pickup truck than a tractor. You should get the hang of it within the first 5 minutes.

lowats

I have never driven a semi but I think you are talking about double clutching. Shifting in a PC is closer to a pickup truck than a tractor. You should get the hang of it within the first 5 minutes.

I see. On a tractor you only have to push the clutch in like 2 inches and you can shift. So I assume PC is pushing foot to the floor

landrick

There's nothing magical or unusual about it; just follow every rule of driving religiously. Come to a complete stop at every stop sign. Signal at *every* turn and when pulling from the curb. Don't speed or tailgate, and try to follow & demonstrate the 10-point commentary rules as you go. If you're not used to a clutch, one of the scarier things can be if they make you stop and start up on a hill. Just be smooth with it.