Road Test for Saturday Air Delivery

theUPSman

I'm having my road test on Thursday by the Operations Manager so I am able to drive Saturday Air. What can I expect during the test? Any tips or advice? Thanks!

IT DEPENDSon what his plans are on Saturday if he's got something to do at 10:00 yuo'll go around the block and you're good to go. If he has no plans you can be out there for an hour. Hope you know how to drive a stick.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IT DEPENDSon what his plans are on Saturday if he's got something to do at 10:00 yuo'll go around the block and you're good to go. If he has no plans you can be out there for an hour. Hope you know how to drive a stick.

I think you may be confused. His road test is THURSDAY as he is hoping to deliver SATURDAY AIR.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Good luck! Can you drive a standard? I think every center has a set course that they're supposed to follow for a road test. Ask for a copy. See if you can practice on property to get used to a package car's noise!

newguy1

it should be the same road test that i took for seasonal driver last week. its real easy as long as you know how to drive stick and are a confident driver. if you are nervous of stalling out or rolling back on a hill, then it might now go as good as you want.

what i did was.....

1. drive around for about 20 minutes or so
2. stop on a hill and start without rolling back.
3. back into a loading dock area

thats basically it. always put your seat belt when the car is moving and he said to always have the car in gear at all time (except when you are stoped) don't go over the speed limit and keep you distance between cars. if you can do that then you'll have no problem.....

theUPSman

I can drive a standard. There won't be any hills to start on. I live in Louisiana...and it's very flat here. I hope I do okay!

Service Failure

Wow, my damn road test was an hour and a half and i drive out of San Francisco. The whole damn city is a hill and some of the worse ones surround our hub haha. Good luck on the test, it shouldn't be hard at all.

brownrodster

My road test was about 30 minutes and in a brand new p7 with an automatic. I got one thing wrong the whole time... I think they let you get 20 things wrong before they fail you or something. It was a cakewalk.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My road test was too easy.

The guy who gave the test was the safety co-chair. I test drove it in the yard once around, then drove a loop maybe 4 miles at best and back to the building.

I did fairly well, save a few mistakes, but the important part was (1) weaving /cutting in and around traffic/pedestrians at a local mall and Friendlys lol and (2) being able to kiss the dock with the rear bumper at the end. He was joking, but I got points there. :happy-very:

To the AP - You will do just fine. Just remember the obvious stuff - to inspect the vehicle before you get in, buckle the belt first thing, check your mirrors often when youre moving, do not downshift to a stop (ride in neutral) and give at least a car length to the person in front. Just do the safest driving and look like you know what you are doing even if you don't! :peaceful:

M

Mike23

Inspect EVERYTHING on pretrip. Some things that I missed were the license plate light, kick a tire test (flats).

Also remember to take your turns relatively wide. Otherwise you'll hit the curb.