Roll away, LMFAO.

oldupsman

I don't think we had a 400 (the old GMC's) in our building that hadn't been laid on it's side at least once. But, put chains on those little buggers, and you could plow two feet of snow.

Yep. They were actually fun to drive in the snow with a full set of chains. Could take it anywhere.

Had my roll away my first year on the job. Just a sight incline but didn't have the parking brake on and it popped
out of gear. Lady answers the door, looks at me and says, "Your truck is rolling down the hill." I turn and chase after it
in a full sprint. Catch it before it hit anything. Just lucky. Cheap lesson early in my career. Thing about a roll away is,
once you have one you never have another.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Once, when in feeders. Rookie, over 30 yrs ago.

Hooked up my own set. Had to take two-lane for about 200 miles, one way. Went over ROUGH, I mean, ROUGH, bridge going out of town. Back trailer locked up, smoke billowing like a tire fire, air pressure dropping. At crest of bridge (yeah, up and down, over RR tracks), got out, went to middle, found out the service line from back of front trailer popped off dolly service hookup. Whew! That's all? Hooked it back up. Life is good. Wait, not so fast!

Set starts rolling DOWNHILL now, without ME in it. Like the true veteran I was (sarcasm intended) I ran after the cab as it was heading toward concrete wall. JUMPED up on steps of old 21000 series friend-Model Mack and popped tractor brake that I, conveniently forgot to pull...SINCE I WAS STOPPED ALREADY!

Why didn't I just, quickly pull service line back off, stopping set, or turn valve off, if I would have been able too? I dunno.

OK, made it, but just barely. Never did that again. On ANY terrain. ALWAYS popped cab brake for WHATEVER reason.
That's what I tell all the rookies. If it ever starts rolling away on you, do not try and jump into the tractor. If you're near the front, just pop the service line off the front trailer. If you're near the rear, pop the service line off the rear trailer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My first week in feeders I was on a long run with 3 or 4 veterans, and we ran together. We got off the freeway to go to a truck stop for lunch and I was pulling a 45' container. made a pretty sharp right and my air line popped off, locking the trailer up. We ran cb's then, and the last thing I heard one of the guys holler was "pop your brake!" Well, it was too late. I was on the catwalk hooking up the still hissing hose, and when I did, the brakes unlocked, with me on the catwalk. I probably rolled 10 feet before I could hop back in the cab. Scared the crap out of me, and I never did that again.
Should have just popped the hose back off. Would have stopped instantly.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Check out the post office roll away in this video. Crazy. Also there was a neat package punt in this video I hadn't seen before where it lands on the roof. Maybe lasership or something.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Check out the post office roll away in this video. Crazy. Also there was a neat package punt in this video I hadn't seen before where it lands on the roof. Maybe lasership or something.

What was that postal truck dragging in between the two times it hit someone's vehicle?

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Looks like I was right about FedEx having their share of roll aways.

The driver's reaction is interesting to say the least.

BrownChoice

Could you imagine how high his blood pressure was at that time ? Oh man ... Haha maybe if i run the opposite way it will stop?

He may havd been sble to stop it had he ran at more of an angle, not parallel to the dam thing!

spif91

Went thru feeder school with a guy that went from backup job at a local center to full time in less than a year because of someone retiring....About a week later he pulls in to take a break at a McDonalds on the turnpike he was on and as he opened the door to go inside he saw his tractor with a set of trips rolling away in the reflection off the window..It rolled across the parking lot and thru a fence into the sewer lagoon and sunk up to the door handles...Bad day and no longer with this great company...

tarbar66

A roll away is one thing----anyone ever hear of a driver putting a pkg car on its side without causing any damage whatsoever?
About 15 years ago in freezing rain a driver was almost stopped while sliding sideways. Long story short the car gently rolled onto the passenger side. The only damage was the 2 drawer card file that spilled. No broken glass, mirrors or scratches because of the snow plow wind row.
I think a farmer and his tractor got the P-500 back upright. No damage, no tow truck, no accident!

brownmvp

Once don't tell anyone, my heart was racing faster than my legs were running. The car started to turn slightly , all I could think about was me flatten in the street like a crazy squirrel and management giving me my pink slip, at my funeral.
Lol hilarious

What'dyabringmetoday???

That's what I tell all the rookies. If it ever starts rolling away on you, do not try and jump into the tractor. If you're near the front, just pop the service line off the front trailer. If you're near the rear, pop the service line off the rear trailer.
While they are at it, they may want to "pop the emergency line off". Just sayin'...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thats me talking to the (former) FedEx guy on my route who had just left keys in the ignition and the engine running in his Sprinter van while neglecting to put it in Park and set the brake. Turns out this was the last stop of his career. On the one hand it was kinda funny, on the other hand it was really dangerous and stupid and I felt bad to see him lose his job.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1420305209.987722.jpg
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1420305234.536379.jpg
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1420305256.509937.jpg

MAKAVELI

Thats me talking to the (former) FedEx guy on my route who had just left keys in the ignition and the engine running in his Sprinter van while neglecting to put it in Park and set the brake. Turns out this was the last stop of his career. On the one hand it was kinda funny, on the other hand it was really dangerous and stupid and I felt bad to see him lose his job.

View attachment 22905View attachment 22906View attachment 22907
Must have been a former Ground driver. Lol

soberups

He got some 'splainin to do.
Not really. Not much to explain when it comes to a rollaway like that.

This took place at a winery (the pic of me talking to him was taken by a customer from the upstairs tasting room) so what he should have done.... was to just walk up to the tasting room, shelled out $50 for a bottle of their best stuff, opened it, and sat down by the fire and drank to celebrate the final day of his career as a FedEx driver.

soberups

I got there about 5 minutes after he put it into the pond.

It had rolled down the hill and come to a stop with the front end only partially submerged and the engine still running and wheels spinning in the mud. He chased it down the hill and into the pond and tried to get in it to back it out....but when he opened the door the water ran in and flooded the inside, which submerged it even deeper and caused water to get sucked up the intake which then destroyed the engine. Once it filled up with water it just sort of floated out to the middle of the pond where an air bubble kept the corner of the package compartment above water.

I will never forget the look on his face when I pulled up to the embankment and saw him climbing up out of there, soaking wet and scared to death, making the last phone call of his career to his dispatch.

MAKAVELI

I got there about 5 minutes after he put it into the pond.

It had rolled down the hill and come to a stop with the front end only partially submerged and the engine still running and wheels spinning in the mud. He chased it down the hill and into the pond and tried to get in it to back it out....but when he opened the door the water ran in and flooded the inside, which submerged it even deeper and caused water to get sucked up the intake which then destroyed the engine. Once it filled up with water it just sort of floated out to the middle of the pond where an air bubble kept the corner of the package compartment above water.

I will never forget the look on his face when I pulled up to the embankment and saw him climbing up out of there, soaking wet and scared to death, making the last phone call of his career to his dispatch.
A very hard lesson learned. Live and learn, I guess.