Ron Carey, You've been indicted

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
might want to read a from a few more sources then one. Ron and his local paid quite a few fines for these illegal strikes.

I'm not one to be swayed--easily, anyway--by one sided works. The New York Times was pretty good as far as brevity. If you haven't read the articles I'm talking about, Tie, you might find them interesting. I didn't see a mention of any fines actually being paid but I'm not surprised. A couple of the articles made noise about UPS filing suit against Local 804 but there was nothing in the mainstream press--New York Times--about any actual filing.

Addition: Tie--or anyone else--if you have suggestions on what else to read about these strikes, please let me know. A student of history here.... -Rocky

Cole

I think Ron has done the best job of any since I have been around for 20+yrs. There was alot to be done when he was forced out, and I see little to no hope of the fraud that is Pres of the union now doing anything other than holding with Corporate leaders.

Cooupt elements are entrenched in this union, and I doubt anyone gets in the top position without those ties.

agitator

I think Ron has done the best job of any since I have been around for 20+yrs. There was alot to be done when he was forced out, and I see little to no hope of the fraud that is Pres of the union now doing anything other than holding with Corporate leaders.

Cooupt elements are entrenched in this union, and I doubt anyone gets in the top position without those ties.

Here here, Cole....under Ron Carey, 804 was one of the first, if not the first local to get 25 and out in the mid 1970s for its members

Once again, thankyou Ron Carey from all the members of Local 804!

Cole

I made a couple of typos, I meant to say "holding hands" with Corporate leaders, and "corrupt" elements.

I am not in 804 or even close to NY, but I will say, when Carey was in, imo the union was starting to feel like a union for the workers again, and imo it started when he had the descency to cut his own salary, and end alot of wasteful spending such as the area conferences etc...Even the magazine took on a for the members mentality. Now that's the way I saw it, and felt, and I do believe everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think Ron has done the best job of any since I have been around for 20+yrs. There was a lot to be done when he was forced out, and I see little to no hope of the fraud that is Pres of the union now doing anything other than holding hands with Corporate leaders.

Absolutely agree.

705red

Browncafe Steward
might want to read a from a few more sources then one. Ron and his local paid quite a few fines for these illegal strikes.
Tie welcome back, I bet if you do a little research you will see what fines ron carey paid would be minimal compared to what ups has paid in grievance violations to the contract which they agreed to work under.

Hope all is well with your mom.

B

brown and down

Look at the legacy Ron Carey left....25 and out pension ,major increases in health and pension funds, strong language and never backing down to management demands. Hoffa....concessions,concessions,concessions.....

blue efficacy

BEST thing for the Teamsters, let alone Local 804????? Sir.....you need to do some research!!!!!! After doing my research, I'm behind the Court decision to bar him from union activities for life!!! I wouldn't trust the man further than I could throw a fully-loaded UPS feeder!! :mad:. -Rocky
Well you just know everything don't you, kid?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well you just know everything don't you, kid?

Never said I did. Where the h*ll did you get THAT idea, anyway? I did my research, consulting appropriate sources that lead me to where I stand. I'd make a smart-aleck comment but, being a mature adult, I refuse to stoop to that level :mad:. -Rocky

local804

Labor Notes Interviews Ron Carey about the UPS Contract

New York Times
Former Teamsters President Is Cleared of Lying
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

October 13, 2001

Ron Carey, the former president of the Teamsters union, was found not guilty yesterday on federal perjury charges after a four-week trial in Manhattan.

After three days of deliberations, the jury cleared Mr. Carey of charges that he had lied 63 times to federal officials and a grand jury investigating improper fund-raising in his 1996 re-election campaign.

Mr. Carey used the trial to try to show that he had done no wrong even though a federal oversight board expelled him from the union in 1998 for having failed to stop the fund-raising scheme.

Federal prosecutors had charged Mr. Carey with lying when he told investigators that he knew nothing about an arrangement by his top campaign aides to contribute $885,000 to various liberal organizations. In exchange, donors to those groups gave more than $100,000 to his 1996 campaign.

Under federal law, it is illegal to use money from a union treasury to support a candidate for union office.

Mr. Carey, who led the International Brotherhood of Teamsters from 1991 to 1998, narrowly defeated James P. Hoffa in 1996. But federal overseers threw out that result and expelled Mr. Carey, setting up an election that Mr. Hoffa won.

Reid Weingarten, a lawyer for Mr. Carey, said: "We're delighted with the verdict, but we're not surprised. We had every confidence that Ron Carey would ultimately be vindicated. This is the first opportunity for him to present his story, and the jury accepted it."

The jury cleared Mr. Carey on all seven counts. He had faced up to 35 years in prison.

Herb Hadad, a spokesman for the United States attorney in New York, said, "We are disappointed, but we respect the jury's verdict."

On the surface, the acquittal conflicted with the oversight board's decision to oust Mr. Carey. When that board expelled him, it never found that he took part in the scheme, instead finding that he had breached his fiduciary duties to the 1.4 million members of the union by not stopping it. Similarly, the indictment announced last January never charged Mr. Carey, 64, who lives in Queens, with participating in the scheme.

The trial on the perjury charges began on Aug. 27 but was suspended for two weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center disrupted proceedings at courthouses downtown. The trial, overseen by Judge Robert L. Carter, resumed on Sept. 24 without a mistrial because all the jurors returned.

The main witness against Mr. Carey was his former campaign manager, Jere Nash, who testified that Mr. Carey had approved the fund-raising scheme.

Mr. Nash said Mr. Carey at first rejected a $225,000 Teamsters contribution to a liberal group, Citizen Action, which was to use the money in a get-out-the-vote effort. But Mr. Nash testified that Mr. Carey later approved the donation after Mr. Nash told him that contributing the money to Citizen Action would help raise money for his campaign.

Mark Hulkower, another lawyer for Mr. Carey, repeatedly challenged Mr. Nash's credibility, noting that he had already been convicted of campaign fraud. Mr. Hulkower also argued that Mr. Nash's testimony was fueled by a desire for a more lenient sentence. Mr. Nash faces up to 20 years in prison and a $2 million fine.

Aside from Mr. Nash, two other top Carey campaign aides have pleaded guilty to engineering the campaign scheme, while last year the Teamsters' former political director was found guilty of participating in the scheme.

Throughout the trial, Mr. Carey's lawyers sought to portray him as an anticorruption crusader who would never have perjured himself or approved a fraudulent scheme. To help show Mr. Carey's integrity, Mr. Hulkower got Mr. Nash to acknowledge on cross-examination that Mr. Carey had saved the union $11 million by selling the union's two jets and had saved another $75,000 by cutting his salary by a third.

In 1991, Mr. Carey became the first democratically elected head of the Teamsters, vowing to end mob control of the union and to use the union's money to help members rather than the union's leaders.

The indictment charged Mr. Carey with lying to the grand jury, to the federal official who oversees Teamsters elections and to the Independent Review Board, a three-member oversight board that investigates corruption in the Teamsters and has the power to expel union members.

In 1989, the Teamsters agreed to a far-reaching program of federal supervision, and in exchange, the government dropped a civil racketeering suit that asserted that the Mafia controlled the union.

The indictment charged Mr. Carey with lying when he told the election officer that no aides had told him of plans to divert Teamster money to help generate donations for his campaign.

"If they did, obviously, I would have stopped that dead in its tracks," Mr. Carey told the election officer.

The indictment implicated Richard L. Trumka, the A.friend.L.-C.I.O.'s secretary-treasurer, by accusing Mr. Carey of lying when he denied having conversations with Mr. Nash about getting Mr. Trumka to help raise money. The indictment said a Carey campaign consultant had asked Mr. Trumka to help arrange for the labor federation to donate $150,000 to Citizen Action if the Teamsters made an unusual $150,000 payment to the A.friend.L.-C.I.O.

Mr. Trumka has repeatedly invoked the Fifth Amendment before investigators but has privately insisted that he is not guilty. Many Republicans have criticized prosecutors for not indicting Mr. Trumka, noting that the statute of limitations on his actions runs out on Nov. 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Laborers.org

(c) All orginal work Copyright Laborers.org 1998. All rights reserved..

Cole

Thanks for sharing that!
here's a good quote from it!

"you can not attract new members when you’re selling out the ones you have.

Very very true!

local804

If the Carey haters are going to talk smack about the man, please tell the truth or get the story correct. Like I said in a past post and I will say again, Ron was my best Local President and the best International President imo and in the opinions of many many of the members of my local. If fatso, I mean Hoffa didnt have his last name, do you really think he would have got elected?

tieguy

Banned
Might want to consider a bit more yourself. I'm quite certain that Corporate America has paid far more in fines for illegal activities than Ron and his local.

I'm sure that was some consolation for the members as they watched Carey use their hard earned money to pay fines for his illegal strikes.

tieguy

Banned
If the Carey haters are going to talk smack about the man, please tell the truth or get the story correct. Like I said in a past post and I will say again, Ron was my best Local President and the best International President imo and in the opinions of many many of the members of my local. If fatso, I mean Hoffa didnt have his last name, do you really think he would have got elected?

Ronnie is lucky he's not in jail. He was only able to avoid conviction due to his lawyer being able to skillfully discredit his partners in crime when they turned states evidence against him. I'm not sure its a good thing to admit your union supported this thief or thought he was a great guy.

tieguy

Banned
I see in your world it's guilty even when proven innocent.

You're one to speak. You guys crucify hoffa and eskew with less evidence then the state had against carey.

Carey was lucky. his lawyer was able to discredit the states witnesses who said he carey knew about the illegal money play going on.

Meanwhile why was carey banned from the union for ever. Because that investigatory body determined he should have known what was going on. This means either gross negligence on his part in executing his job or that he should and probably knew what was going on.

So yes I believe he knew. I believe he avoided jail time because his lawyer made the states witnesses look bad and Ronnie probably got some sympathy from a local jury.

Careys greatest honor is he is the first teamster president to avoid getting convicted for his crooked work.

sawdusttv

You're one to speak. You guys crucify hoffa and eskew with less evidence then the state had against carey.

Carey was lucky. his lawyer was able to discredit the states witnesses who said he carey knew about the illegal money play going on.

Meanwhile why was carey banned from the union for ever. Because that investigatory body determined he should have known what was going on. This means either gross negligence on his part in executing his job or that he should and probably knew what was going on.

So yes I believe he knew. I believe he avoided jail time because his lawyer made the states witnesses look bad and Ronnie probably got some sympathy from a local jury.

Careys greatest honor is he is the first teamster president to avoid getting convicted for his crooked work.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Hoffa is in the companies back pocket, the way management is defending him?:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1

local804

Two statements caught my eye Tie,
Lucky and a sympathetic jury. The prosecuter on this case made it very easy not to have sympathy towards the "corrupt teamster boss." We do use a judicial system in the United States which isnt perfect but "lucky" and unanimous vote are far from on the same page. Once all evidence is submitted it would be very hard to have luck with a room full of jurors. He was found Not Guilty on 7 counts, and if that is luck, maybe he should go play lotto. The US prosecuter of the case is a very high profile US attorney who has cases against John Gotti, NYC bombers and holds a very high conviction rating. The glove didnt fit so they must aquit lol