Rookie cover driver was 5 hours Overallowed

UPSGUY72

had 8 hr request got done 545 with lunch got 15 min gaurantee they said i was over.

That because they had to pay you the guarantee.. If you worked till 6:00 you would have probably been scratch according to them. Last night they tried to tell me to code 05 when I punched out early that didn't happen.

Last edited:

wncdriver

we are so short of drivers and cover drivers nothing was done.

What center is this? I need to come there and go on the road... I just got DQ'd on my 27th day qualifying and I have ran .7 over witha 40 min lunch and extra work added to my training route! Apparently my center wants to play games or just doesnt want any new drivers cuz they have enough temp drivers.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
What center is this? I need to come there and go on the road... I just got DQ'd on my 27th day qualifying and I have ran .7 over witha 40 min lunch and extra work added to my training route! Apparently my center wants to play games or just doesnt want any new drivers cuz they have enough temp drivers.
a great many Pt employees in my center either cant pass a DOT exam,Have poor driving records or have no interest in driving due to the work expecyed tfrom them and the low Cover Driver compensation

nicky

We have some great answers developed over time to their overallowed questions. My favorite line is they walk in and say "hey you were 60 over" My response "Your Welcome"

Logb17

Our newest guy got sent out on a split route cold. Had 110 left at 5. They sent to drivers to take 40 each. Still got in at 8.

Worst I've seen was when I did saturday air. New guy sent out with 20 stops. Came back at 12:10 and said "I didn't do to well out there, could only find 1". We were all in shock. First and last Saturday.

brownrod

It is easy to be 3-4 hours over on a route blind if you don't have EDD. done it many times myself when I was new. When you are given a bricked out truck and have no idea whats in there whatsoever and get to figure it out as you deliver its to be expected!

But now with experience in all the areas in my center and EDD its not like that anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does 05 hurt you in any way?

This may not be the case where you are but where I work our pension credits are based on hours worked up to 8 hours so if we run Code 05 and don't work 8 hours we do not receive 8 hours credit for that day.

Our BA said that the union is pushing for pension contributions for all hours worked in the next contract.

Indecisi0n

This may not be the case where you are but where I work our pension credits are based on hours worked up to 8 hours so if we run Code 05 and don't work 8 hours we do not receive 8 hours credit for that day.

Our BA said that the union is pushing for pension contributions for all hours worked in the next contract.

If you don't work 8 hrs why would you be entitled to 8 hrs credit under 06? Maybe i am not understanding your point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you don't work 8 hrs why would you be entitled to 8 hrs credit under 06? Maybe i am not understanding your point.

Pension credits and pay guarantees are two different things.

If you work Code 06 you are guaranteed 8 hours pay and 8 hours of pension credit for that day. You get the 8 hours of pay whether you actually worked 8 hours or not.

If you work Code 05 you are paid punch to punch and receive only that time as pension credit.

wayfair

swollen member
Pension credits and pay guarantees are two different things.

If you work Code 06 you are guaranteed 8 hours pay and 8 hours of pension credit for that day. You get the 8 hours of pay whether you actually worked 8 hours or not.

If you work Code 05 you are paid punch to punch and receive only that time as pension credit.

if that's the case, I'd suggest never Code 05 in your center

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
A rookie Cover Driver was sent out Monday on a route blind,and to use a phrase my first center manager used " He was sucking pondwater" He had 50 off at 1700,and 100 left. 2 drivers were sent to help him,and they all worked to about 2200,and he wound up 5 hours Overallowed.
In the old days he would have been DQ'd, but we are so short of drivers and cover drivers nothing was done. Course when my supervisor now says anything about me being OA, i am quick to tell him it could have been worse, I could have been 5 hours OA :peaceful:

I like the cut of his jib. A hero in the making...

some1else

Banned
We have some great answers developed over time to their overallowed questions. My favorite line is they walk in and say "hey you were 60 over" My response "Your Welcome"
My shop steward tells the "its just numbers on a piece of paper" they like that aswell.

You guysae lucky we have qlot of routes with aweful plans that are 2-3 hours overevery day. Mall routes, indistrial areas in 24's. And some apartment/high density residenti that plan under 8 for 200 stops. Our most overallowed driver averages 3.5 and hits 4 fairly often.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
File a grievance

T

TheBrownGuy

A rookie Cover Driver was sent out Monday on a route blind,and to use a phrase my first center manager used " He was sucking pondwater" He had 50 off at 1700,and 100 left. 2 drivers were sent to help him,and they all worked to about 2200,and he wound up 5 hours Overallowed.

Must have been trained to follow ORION

sportsjock

Its funny! I see this antic is company wide. They all ways send drivers out blind in my center, and then they have to send every driver in the center to help the driver out. What I have noticed is none of the on roads know any of the routes they send drivers out blind, and its the heavy commercial / resi mixed routes. Now give them a residential route they can do that.

I was doing my route on Tuesday, and they added about 40 extra stops from another center to my dispatch ok no problem I know the area it's by my house. My on road sup ODS me to call him, its about 1500 I am about to start the extra 40 they added. He says to me hey D needs help can you go help him with some stops. So I ask him what kind of help does he need Commercial or Residential? the sup says I don't know. So i say to him so you want me to peel off my route that I haven't finished to go help D? Mind you this driver has a bidded routed and he calls for help every day. For them to ask me to peel off and help him made no sense to me. I said to the sup I'm going to finish my route first then if D still needs help I will help him after I'm done with my work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

SJ, had your center manager pulled up ODS-E, he would have seen how many stops you had left and asking you to help would have meant skipping work on your route. You made the right call.