Roswell, GA hub/ new hub in parking lot

Overpaid Union Thug

Out steward filed a grievance last year because drivers were coming in on their vacations during the summer. Now you can't do it.

Good! I'm glad your center has a steward like that. It is low down and dirty for anyone to select a vacation week (no matter what week of the year it is) and then come in to work. Not to mention a contract violation. In my supplement anyway. It has been a problem in my center in the past and (unfortunately) the stewards had always been part of the problem too. Toss a little bit of the " high seniority good ole boy system" into the mix and that made it a tough problem to tackle. Luckily a couple of us lower seniority drivers, along with a few high seniority drivers that don't have their heads and egos as high into the clouds as they think their name on the seniority list is, were able to stop it. There were a hand full of seniority drivers that just couldn't believe (utterly shocked even) that anyone with lower seniority then them would file a grievance (actually all we had to do was threaten to file) to stop the violation of the contract that their spoiled brat syndrome induced egos were allowing them to commit.

I have to admit that after helping stop this I felt a sense of accomplishment that I hadn't felt in years. :balloon:

Good! I'm glad your center has a steward like that. It is low down and dirty for anyone to select a vacation week (no matter what week of the year it is) and then come in to work. Not to mention a contract violation. In my supplement anyway. It has been a problem in my center in the past and (unfortunately) the stewards had always been part of the problem too. Toss a little bit of the " high seniority good ole boy system" into the mix and that made it a tough problem to tackle. Luckily a couple of us lower seniority drivers, along with a few high seniority drivers that don't have their heads and egos as high into the clouds as they think their name on the seniority list is, were able to stop it. There were a hand full of seniority drivers that just couldn't believe (utterly shocked even) that anyone with lower seniority then them would file a grievance (actually all we had to do was threaten to file) to stop the violation of the contract that their spoiled brat syndrome induced egos were allowing them to commit.

I have to admit that after helping stop this I felt a sense of accomplishment that I hadn't felt in years. :balloon:
Amen. That was the feeling in my center as well.

Overpaid Union Thug

Amen. That was the feeling in my center as well.

It's never over though. Some of our seniority drivers think that since they are above so many people on the seniority list that they are also above any contract language that doesn't fit their agenda. Because of this those of us that took a stand on the issue can't let our guards down.

It's never over though. Some of our seniority drivers think that since they are above so many people on the seniority list that they are also above any contract language that doesn't fit their agenda. Because of this those of us that took a stand on the issue can't let our guards down.
We got a decision and the grievance was written off as that the practice would stop. If we find it happening the driver has to go home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree that vacations are meant to be time away from work and would also find it frustrating if a driver who selected a prime week decided to work instead; however, I don't have a problem with a driver on vacation deciding to work if and only if every available driver is on road. I don't agree with then forcing that driver to run a route other than his own. If the driver is coming in to help with staffing issues he should be allowed to run his own route.

Z

ZQXC

I agree that vacations are meant to be time away from work and would also find it frustrating if a driver who selected a prime week decided to work instead; however, I don't have a problem with a driver on vacation deciding to work if and only if every available driver is on road. I don't agree with then forcing that driver to run a route other than his own. If the driver is coming in to help with staffing issues he should be allowed to run his own route.

Staffing problem........

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one said you ever had to come in. There have been times when I have had a major revocation project coming up and I would work a few vacation days to help pay for it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Vacation is one of the few perks we have left. They took away all of our goodies like turkeys, awards, black Friday, etc. and there is no way they are getting one second of my vacation time.

barnyard

KTM rider
For the life of me I don't understand why they don't just extend the length of the current building.

It could very well be that any permanent building additions will force the company to remodel the entire building to comply with current codes.

That is the situation with my building. We are getting the same type of portable extendo thingy for doors on it. If our building were expanded, the mechanics bay would have to be changed significantly. The portable addition is way cheaper.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It could very well be that any permanent building additions will force the company to remodel the entire building to comply with current codes.

That is the situation with my building. We are getting the same type of portable extendo thingy for doors on it. If our building were expanded, the mechanics bay would have to be changed significantly. The portable addition is way cheaper.
Perhaps a permanent addition would require wheelchair access to the sort aisles and pickoff positions.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here its never been about staffing issues. It's been pure greed or drivers whining about needing to work to "help pay for <insert lame bad financial decision/impulse purchase here>." Their greed or bad financial decisions don't negate a contract. Personally....I'd rather the contract allow for drivers on vacation to be called in ONLY when there is unforeseen staffing issues such as excessive call ins. Until such language exists no hourly employee should ever be allowed to work during a vacation week that they selected from the list. Our supplement clearly states that employees can take the pay in lieu of time off but MUST notify the employer in September. Meaning....when its time to select which option they want for their option week. On the same form options for the option week are selected they can circle the amount of weeks they want to "sell back." Its set up that way so that when its time to start selecting vacations in October the number of weeks each person that opted to sell back will be subtracted from the number of vacation weeks they can select to take. But some of the "special" people think that they bypass this process and close out weeks others want but then come in and work. Some claim its because the vacation sell backs are taxed too much. Really? cry me a freakin river you spoiled brats!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So today we learned that they will be building a "village" in the parking lot for peak season. I guess it's a hub of sorts where they'll be able to load trucks. It's semi-permanent, so parking will be an issue year round, and nonexistent during peak.

Apparently we will be parking at least a couple of miles away and will be shuttled in. Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else?
image.jpg

The Big Top is coming to town, get your tickets and popcorn ready.

FilingBluesFL

We have two containers with loading docks built in to either side of them, and one end is open to feed parcels through on to the rollers...

It's gonna be a bitch to get parking this year. Lord knows where they're gonna stick these things... They were just sitting in the middle of the parking lot for almost a month.

Someone finally got around to moving them off to one side...