Roswell, GA hub/ new hub in parking lot

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have two containers with loading docks built in to either side of them, and one end is open to feed parcels through on to the rollers...

It's gonna be a bitch to get parking this year. Lord knows where they're gonna stick these things... They were just sitting in the middle of the parking lot for almost a month.

Someone finally got around to moving them off to one side...
We've had those each year for as long as I can remember, took up every 4th bay on outbound in the mornings so they could fit PCs nose to nose.

FilingBluesFL

They've not done these before.

One year they got wacky and built an extension tee-ing in to the middle of the parking lot, almost like adding another wing on to the building.

It doesn't matter, it's always some cobbled together retarded idea that's half-brained.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The last couple of new buildings they have built down here have been built the same way. If it's not preexisting buildings, they put up a metal building with the offices, all the conveyors, and doors for the in and outbound trailers. (they use the same conveyors for in and outbound, just reverse the directions.) They buy plenty of acreage with room for expansion. The conveyor building is metal as well and has enough room to walk behind the conveyors. The package cars are actually all parked outside the building, and each one has its own roll up door. They just extend the building about 20 package car doors every year. One building I went to was expanded 2 years in a row, then the third, they added a conveyor thing on wheels on the end and added rollers out to the side between package cars, making it impossible for drivers to drive around the building..very well thought out. not.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Meanwhile, in Roswell
image.jpg

The ever vigilant security personnel, recently hired, is watching over carpool spots. The scourge that is "single passenger vehicles" are prohibited from parking here, and he's here to enforce that, all day.

When presented with the conundrum of "How can we carpool when we have no idea when we'll be off?", management was silent. The good news is this is currently the only solution presented in the wake of the parking lot becoming a new center.

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The building I worked out of was resurfaced a year or so ago. They restriped it as well. only thing is, they narrowed the width of each parking spot to fit compact cars on the whole lot. I drive a 4 door Silverado 4WD with a full size bed. I hang out on all sides.:eek:. About once a month I get to my truck when I punch out and can't open my doors enough to get in on either side. Last year they started building a LNG fueling station for our new fleet of tractors. They took 4 rows of parking to build it.:angry-very: Just glad I don't have to go up there anymore.

Acc0rd

Orlando Hub just plowed a few acres of the woods it owns on its property. They are going to move the Kissimmee center to some new building they are building out there. I heard it could be moved but wont be the typical rollers extensions we all know. A prefabricated building? Those extensions are literally everywhere in Orlando so they had to build sometime. I just noticed it tonight coming in. I was like whoh all the trees are gone! Id say there is a good 10 or more extensions all around the Orlando building so this will be nice for the Kissimmee center to have its own building I guess. Hub was built in the early 80s and clearly we all know Orlando has exploded in the 30 something years since.

wkmac

Meanwhile, in Roswell
View attachment 15657
The ever vigilant security personnel, recently hired, is watching over carpool spots. The scourge that is "single passenger vehicles" are prohibited from parking here, and he's here to enforce that, all day.

When presented with the conundrum of "How can we carpool when we have no idea when we'll be off?", management was silent. The good news is this is currently the only solution presented in the wake of the parking lot becoming a new center.

Word is an agreement was reached in principle with Verizon Wireless Amphitheater that will have us parking at their parking lot off Founders Parkway at some point. Heard one shuttle service was gonna cost $4k per week so I'm expecting wooden wagons filled with hay and drawn by horses. Wait, scratch the hay, unnecessary cost.

Glad I'm on vacation next week when they take half the parking lot to begin setting the sort village. At least the initial chaos will get somewhat worked out, I hope. Talked with Electrical contractor yesterday and horizontal boring for power, data, natural gas will begin tomorrow.
:wink-very:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Word is an agreement was reached in principle with Verizon Wireless Amphitheater that will have us parking at their parking lot off Founders Parkway at some point. Heard one shuttle service was gonna cost $4k per week so I'm expecting wooden wagons filled with hay and drawn by horses. Wait, scratch the hay, unnecessary cost.

Glad I'm on vacation next week when they take half the parking lot to begin setting the sort village. At least the initial chaos will get somewhat worked out, I hope. Talked with Electrical contractor yesterday and horizontal boring for power, data, natural gas will begin tomorrow.
:wink-very:
What about porta potties, we're on a slant heading towards the building, guess we'll find out how fast crap really rolls downhill.

We expanded every year I've been there (6yrs)....used to be 3 cars loaded at the end of the belt outside....we called it the pneumonia....last peak it was up to 9....we have plenty or room an land to expand either direction though so parking isn't am issue yet

Sent using BrownCafe App

wkmac

What about porta potties, we're on a slant heading towards the building, guess we'll find out how fast crap really rolls downhill.

You are assuming they can think that far ahead. They barely got the parking lot problem solved, if you want to call it that.

How much time will be spent riding the shuttle and will you be getting paid for the time? Will the shuttle be for all employees or just hourly?

The remote parking is barely a mile away so the actual time riding on the shuttle will be no more than a minute or 2. The unanswered question is once you arrive and park or you clock out end of day, how long will that time span be? And no, you will not be on the clock in transit.

I guess my real question was will the center managers and sups ride the shuttle also or will there be a few reserved parking spots closer? Also how about handicap parking?

UPSer171

So today we learned that they will be building a "village" in the parking lot for peak season. I guess it's a hub of sorts where they'll be able to load trucks. It's semi-permanent, so parking will be an issue year round, and nonexistent during peak.

Apparently we will be parking at least a couple of miles away and will be shuttled in. Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Wow that's crazy. Last peak we had to give up one parking lot for more space to park our trailers that were coming in, to where we actually had to park in the field that was right next to our hub. Start times were 1 pm up until mid January into February.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The car pool area has now been dissolved by a lack of participation.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Still no word on where we will be parking but that ain't stopping them from putting this thing in.

wkmac

Still no word on parking.

Does Freddie not communicate anything? We'll be parking at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. Conveyors delivered this week and installation will begin as soon as they arrive. Going live is still planned for Monday Oct. 20th and the midnight sort begins Monday Nov. 3rd. Look me up on the evening side and I'll fill you in on more details. Yes, there is more.

Overpaid Union Thug