Rotator cuff.

rowan

What does a rotator cuff injury feel like. Sitting at drs hoping its just a strain. Moved a box from one shelf to the other and felt pain in shoulder. Now everything is tight in neck, shoulder, chest, and back area.

oldngray

nowhere special
I tore a rotator cuff once. I could barely lift my arm over my shoulder without extreme pain. It took months to heal although I was able to work (but had to be careful). I think in about half the cases it will heal on its own without surgery, just takes time. I thought I dislocated my shoulder when it happened. My hand got caught in the handrail as my foot slipped and I fell with my whole weight wrenching my shoulder.

cynic

What does a rotator cuff injury feel like. Sitting at drs hoping its just a strain. Moved a box from one shelf to the other and felt pain in shoulder. Now everything is tight in neck, shoulder, chest, and back area.

Hurts like a mother****er.

cynic

Oh, yeah, and hope you're at a board certified orthopaedic doctor specializing in shoulder injury and NOT a "generic" doc-in-the-box that UPS takes you if you get hurt on the job.

lytkep

Had mine repaired once and as a result of the surgery it Froze and I had to have a second surgery to BREAK IT LOOSE. Had to "go under" as doctor said I could not stand the pain if awake.
Has NEVER been right since!
Bob

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Oh, yeah, and hope you're at a board certified orthopaedic doctor specializing in shoulder injury and NOT a "generic" doc-in-the-box that UPS takes you if you get hurt on the job.
I've read on here numerous times that employees were sent to doctors that UPS told them to go to. The two times I was injuried on the job, Ups never instructed me to see a specific doctor, just gave me a stack of forms for the drs to fill out to qualify for light duty lol. I though it was our right (legal?) to choose our own physicians...within reason obviously.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I tore a rotator cuff once. I could barely lift my arm over my shoulder without extreme pain. It took months to heal although I was able to work (but had to be careful). I think in about half the cases it will heal on its own without surgery, just takes time. I thought I dislocated my shoulder when it happened. My hand got caught in the handrail as my foot slipped and I fell with my whole weight wrenching my shoulder.

Uh I don't think rotator cuffs just heal on their own. What can happen is you can strengthen muscles to take the pressure off of it.

cynic

Apparently, some employees are required to see ups doctors...I'm assuming it depends on the region or state you work in.

Person is having an heart attack - oh wait, the UPS doc doesn't open until 10am - at least 50% probable management response. :(

As a PT'er the majority of us are screwed if we do get hurt on the job. The UPS FT sup tries to get us to wait until the doc-in-the-box (that UPS contracts with for physicals, BTW) opens at 8am when there is an ER less than 5 minutes from the hub. They also insist it is not safe for us to drive ourselves to the ER, they have to take us - to the doc-in-the-box. ARGH it's disgusting and makes me furious and I can't type anymore without putting my fingers through the keyboard in disgust. All about hiding injuries, falsifying data, pure bull****.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Person is having an heart attack - oh wait, the UPS doc doesn't open until 10am - at least 50% probable management response. :(

As a PT'er the majority of us are screwed if we do get hurt on the job. The UPS FT sup tries to get us to wait until the doc-in-the-box (that UPS contracts with for physicals, BTW) opens at 8am when there is an ER less than 5 minutes from the hub. They also insist it is not safe for us to drive ourselves to the ER, they have to take us - to the doc-in-the-box. ARGH it's disgusting and makes me furious and I can't type anymore without putting my fingers through the keyboard in disgust. All about hiding injuries, falsifying data, pure bull****.
That blows, dude. I hurt my back and neck on the job in 2 separate incidents. Both times I informed my center manager immediately, finished loading my trucks, filed an accident report...got a comp claim # and went to the ER (the hospital closest to my house, NOT the one closest to UPS). The subsequent doctors that treated me were recommended by the ER..UPS never said a word about where to seek treatment. Just gave me forms to be filled out for comp and light duty. Granted, I'm simplying the situation, there were veiled threats and subsequent harassment while I was on light duty, but that's another story...

over9five

Staff member

Stick up for your fellow employee by calling an ambulance.

cynic

Stick up for your fellow employee by calling an ambulance.

Yes, and the fire department is right next store so the paramedics could walk over!! That's a great idea, a little 911 call for an injured employee starts creating government paper trails....

cynic

That blows, dude. I hurt my back and neck on the job in 2 separate incidents. Both times I informed my center manager immediately, finished loading my trucks, filed an accident report...got a comp claim # and went to the ER (the hospital closest to my house, NOT the one closest to UPS). The subsequent doctors that treated me were recommended by the ER..UPS never said a word about where to seek treatment. Just gave me forms to be filled out for comp and light duty.

RTW states suck. The FT sup's try and use intimidation tactics saying if you leave work to go to the ER then you'll be considered to have abandoned your job.

over9five

Staff member
Yes, and the fire department is right next store so the paramedics could walk over!! That's a great idea, a little 911 call for an injured employee starts creating government paper trails....

Agreed. And if you're afraid of retaliation, an anonymous call from the mens room....

cynic

Agreed. And if you're afraid of retaliation, an anonymous call from the mens room....

Nah, I'd use the company phone so dispatch had the correct address.

And I'm a PT'er so therefore suspect of stealing anything wrapped in cardboard so am not trustworthy enough to be permitted to bring my own cell phone into the hub. And if I, as PT'er scum am so stupid as to wear steel toe footwear into the hub then security has me take off my footwear and "finger" it to make sure nothing is hiding inside. (They must hire security based on foot fetishes...)

rowan

So I did goto a doc in box. He took xrays said no signe of calcium build up. So I got to choose physical therapist. So hopefully physical therapy works. if not getting better in a week ill get a mri. I can choose my dr and have some good reference s from other drivers.
Will keep updating just because it is so boring sitting around the office.

cynic

So I did goto a doc in box. He took xrays said no signe of calcium build up. So I got to choose physical therapist. So hopefully physical therapy works. if not getting better in a week ill get a mri. I can choose my dr and have some good reference s from other drivers.
Will keep updating just because it is so boring sitting around the office.

You need an MRI to properly diagnose a rotator cuff injury. Sorry to hear you went to a doc-in-the-box. Let me guess, they have Physical Therapy associated with their office onsite? Uh-huh... If it's due to an IOD then consult with your steward and BA quickly. Get the proper care from a board certified orthopaedic surgeon - not an osteopath. IMO.