Route Creation

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
We got a great group of drivers in my center but no one is interested in filing a grievance for the creation of a new route. So I'm going to file. Has anyone utilized the process of filing a grievance for creating route if that route has been on the roster for 30 days? If so, what documentation and verbiage did you use to file the grievance?

CHALLY9TX

Talk to your steward before filing a grievance. Your steward should talk to the center manager and hopefully get your center manager to put that route up for bid.

Sent using BrownCafe App

mpeedy

You can file a greivence and force them to create a route that they don't want. The repercussion is another route being cut and a bunch of routs work shifting. You will end up with a bunch of angry drivers.

AKCoverMan

You can file a greivence and force them to create a route that they don't want. The repercussion is another route being cut and a bunch of routs work shifting. You will end up with a bunch of angry drivers.
But if a route has been in the lineup for thirty days apparently they DO want it, don't they?

Future

Victory Ride
They play the shell game in my center with split routes......one day they call it 29d with resis and some bulk buisness.....then the next call it 15g same resis different bulk buisness stops etc.......and so on! Damn carnys!

Overpaid Union Thug

We got a great group of drivers in my center but no one is interested in filing a grievance for the creation of a new route. So I'm going to file. Has anyone utilized the process of filing a grievance for creating route if that route has been on the roster for 30 days? If so, what documentation and verbiage did you use to file the grievance?
In the Southern Region all routes will be bid starting in February.Including training routes and split routes. So, your grievance might not be necessary.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scooby0048

Well that's part of the problem already. Routes are being cut and work is shifting and no one is happy. They have hired all these drivers yet lay them off everyday or claim they are long and ask us if we want to home, all while other new drivers are trying to qualify.

My partners and I have mentioned this to management and the response is the standard UPS response, "Oh well that's the way it is". Routes that were normally 130-145 are now between 160-175 stops. We want to give the qualifying drivers some time to make the cut but new drivers who have earned their position should not be getting sent home.

We just want to know if anyone has been successful in this type of grievance and how they approached it with regards to documentation and verbiage in the grievance. In another center the drivers filed but the route never got created so I would assume that's why no one here has filed. (Same local, same district, same middle management...same BS)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Last year when i was still cover they created a route for me between two other routes during peak. Route was in every day for about two and a half months. During the summer one of those two regular routes gets pulled on Monday and Friday (not a wad route) so they could never keep all three in year round.

Travwise

We had a similar situation in our center but it was resolved by discussing the issue with management. I am sorry I do not have the verbiage for you, but I think you should pursue, adding another bid route benefits everyone.

Not sure I agree that you'd have a bunch of pissed of drivers but it's worth discussing with the group FIRST to be on the safe side...

100% Trace

For starters file 9.5 grievances. If you say all this work is added new language in the contract will correct this. As far as laying off drivers.. Anyone who has attained seniority is guaranteed 8 hrs a day. Make them give it you. Yes our center has been successful... 9.5 grievances is the route to go. File them and don't pull them when management starts crying about you filing.
Well that's part of the problem already. Routes are being cut and work is shifting and no one is happy. They have hired all these drivers yet lay them off everyday or claim they are long and ask us if we want to home, all while other new drivers are trying to qualify.

My partners and I have mentioned this to management and the response is the standard UPS response, "Oh well that's the way it is". Routes that were normally 130-145 are now between 160-175 stops. We want to give the qualifying drivers some time to make the cut but new drivers who have earned their position should not be getting sent home.

We just want to know if anyone has been successful in this type of grievance and how they approached it with regards to documentation and verbiage in the grievance. In another center the drivers filed but the route never got created so I would assume that's why no one here has filed. (Same local, same district, same middle management...same BS)
ds

100% Trace

For starters file 9.5 grievances. If you say all this work is added new language in the contract will correct this. As far as laying off drivers.. Anyone who has attained seniority is guaranteed 8 hrs a day. Make them give it you. Yes our center has been successful... 9.5 grievances is the route to go. File them and don't pull them when management starts crying about you filing.

ds

scooby0048

ds

The 9.5 grievances are useless under the new contract since they won't keep any new driver on a route for more than a week and the route to which I refer is not a bid route, hence wanting to make it a bid route.

As far as the 8 guarantee, the two drivers it affects are too new and fearful of filing and they are not the ones complaining of being laid off so until they change their thinking that issue is at an impasse. Having this route created will prevent them from cutting this route and blowing the rest of us out making up for losing a route that has 125-140 stops. Every Mon-Wed we somehow seem to be long drivers or people are getting laid off.

You mention that your center was successful, other than what you have mentioned in so far as grievance and demanding guarantee, do you know what steps were taken to get that route at your center?

Travwise

Hey bro sorry I don't the specifics, it was pointed out during a PCM that we had ran the 18th car in our center for over 30 days, and therefore it needed to bid per our contract. About three weeks later the bid sheet was on the board. I am not sure what, if anything, occurred behind the scenes. I will ask my steward tomorrow for any details that may be helpful to you.

I will say this, just because the route is bid doesn't mean it can't be cut out if there is not work, our 18th guy will just have the option to bump any cover driver below him on the seniority list. I still stand by that the addition of another bid route is a GOOD thing regardless, and will do what I can to find more information.

100% Trace

The 9.5 grievances are useless under the new contract since they won't keep any new driver on a route for more than a week and the route to which I refer is not a bid route, hence wanting to make it a bid route.

As far as the 8 guarantee, the two drivers it affects are too new and fearful of filing and they are not the ones complaining of being laid off so until they change their thinking that issue is at an impasse. Having this route created will prevent them from cutting this route and blowing the rest of us out making up for losing a route that has 125-140 stops. Every Mon-Wed we somehow seem to be long drivers or people are getting laid off.

You mention that your center was successful, other than what you have mentioned in so far as grievance and demanding guarantee, do you know what steps were taken to get that route at your center?

Yes. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but The first step was relentless filing for 9.5. The same reasons you mentioned in you center were going on here as well. Mon-wed was ridiculous. Layoffs on Monday due to massive route cuts, which in turn loaded us down with more area to cover. When we got everyone on board and filed 9.5 all the time, we had a huge payout in grievance money (roughly $10,000) center wide. This is where the new language kicks in. The BA met with the labor mgr and settled grievances, in turn threw red flags on staffing, in turn brought IE to the center and two weeks ago we just took a list down for 6.... Yes 6 PERMANENT FULL TIME POSITIONS due to staffing shortages. This in turn fixed problem number 2 about the route/ routes being out. They HAD to leave them in because the center manager got chewed a new one for all that grievance pay. Not even gonna lie. It's a process but in the end it's worth the work. Hope this helps. Good luck

Paid by the hour

scooby0048

Hey bro sorry I don't the specifics, it was pointed out during a PCM that we had ran the 18th car in our center for over 30 days, and therefore it needed to bid per our contract. About three weeks later the bid sheet was on the board. I am not sure what, if anything, occurred behind the scenes. I will ask my steward tomorrow for any details that may be helpful to you.
I will say this, just because the route is bid doesn't mean it can't be cut out if there is not work, our 18th guy will just have the option to bump any cover driver below him on the seniority list. I still stand by that the addition of another bid route is a GOOD thing regardless, and will do what I can to find more information.

Yes. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but The first step was relentless filing for 9.5. The same reasons you mentioned in you center were going on here as well. Mon-wed was ridiculous. Layoffs on Monday due to massive route cuts, which in turn loaded us down with more area to cover. When we got everyone on board and filed 9.5 all the time, we had a huge payout in grievance money (roughly $10,000) center wide. This is where the new language kicks in. The BA met with the labor mgr and settled grievances, in turn threw red flags on staffing, in turn brought IE to the center and two weeks ago we just took a list down for 6.... Yes 6 PERMANENT FULL TIME POSITIONS due to staffing shortages. This in turn fixed problem number 2 about the route/ routes being out. They HAD to leave them in because the center manager got chewed a new one for all that grievance pay. Not even gonna lie. It's a process but in the end it's worth the work. Hope this helps. Good luck
Paid by the hour

Thanks guys, good info!