Routes dispatched by driver, not route.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, I have run the same route for the last 2 days, and it's a pretty nice route in a slightly upscale area. On Thursday I did 203 stops and 94 miles and punched out at around 640, yesterday I did 213 stops, 109 miles and punched out at 940. I was giving our PDS a hard time about it and he said "that route wasn't meant for you, it was meant for Bill".

Why can't they just dispatch a route the same no matter who runs it? Since one driver is better, we're going to screw him and have him out all night? This logic seems inherently wrong.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is crazy. I had an estimated 97 stops, so instead of letting me be a click or two under for once, at 925, the bosses decided they needed to give me 20 more, and told driver b to give me driver a these specific stops. Nothing was palled, Just throw them in. So now I have 20 more in my 8000 section, where I had no clue what was commercial what wasn't. Had they just told us to do it, the driver could have given me a heads up, so I would know. That would have been too simple. These last minute antics kept me out to 830, gave me 101 miles in a city rt, instead of 80, a major attitude started, and then I said screw it. I calmed down arranged the work, pulled there twice. I did ask for help at 4, and I got no reply. The driver next to me, sweet guy, picked up my air at 445, and he was done. I don't begrudge him getting home early. I just think if they had used some common sense in the decision making, we could have all had a nice Friday, instead of slamming the old chick, and ruining my day. Nothing like going back to an area you already went to once, in the bowls of the city after 5. Thanks mgmt. team. This proved to me once again, you care nothing about safety. At least not mine.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
So, I have run the same route for the last 2 days, and it's a pretty nice route in a slightly upscale area. On Thursday I did 203 stops and 94 miles and punched out at around 640, yesterday I did 213 stops, 109 miles and punched out at 940. I was giving our PDS a hard time about it and he said "that route wasn't meant for you, it was meant for Bill".

Why can't they just dispatch a route the same no matter who runs it? Since one driver is better, we're going to screw him and have him out all night? This logic seems inherently wrong.

It's what happens when drivers tear up routes. We've been screaming about it for decades now. But what's the expression? You can lead a fish to water, but you can't make him drink. Yeah, that's the story with a huge majority of UPS drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I have a really good driver sup that chews ass everytime they loa a cover guy up.

It's the reason all their "all star" drivers slow down. They get tired of getting crapped on.

Ill bust it to get in in under 9 hours. Give me a 10 plus hour day and I need to pace myself.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have a really good driver sup that chews ass everytime they loa a cover guy up.

It's the reason all their "all star" drivers slow down. They get tired of getting crapped on.

Ill bust it to get in in under 9 hours. Give me a 10 plus hour day and I need to pace myself.

I used to be an All-Star myself, torching routes daily and running, jumping on and off the truck. All that gets you is a sore body and an extra 10 stops the next day.

Now my concerns are:
#1 No Accidents or Injuries
#2 Complete following of ALL methods
#3 Servicing Customers
#4 Staying Professional at all times
#5 My finish time/ UPS' arbitrary numbers

Brownslave688

I used to be an All-Star myself, torching routes daily and running, jumping on and off the truck. All that gets you is a sore body and an extra 10 stops the next day.

Now my concerns are:
#1 No Accidents or Injuries
#2 Complete following of ALL methods
#3 Servicing Customers
#4 Staying Professional at all times
#5 My finish time/ UPS' arbitrary numbers

Yep in time most will learn. Some are just a wee bit more stubborn.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Very wise statement, all new drivers need to learn this. If you work extra hard to get off early, they will just give you more stops. Take your whole hour of lunch and work at a safe and steady pace.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

213 stops takes you 3 hours longer than 203 on the same route?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Yep. The 203 was MUCH tighter, and ONLY 1 split, and I ran it "by head", running it the smart way.

Yesterday was much more spread out, 3 splits (including business in the 8600 section that forced me to break route to not miss). I also ran yesterday "By Edd", and I should point out that the Edd on this route is pretty screwed up.

I'm not a dispatch Sup, so I will not correct the edd, and as such I just run it by Edd. I get paid to deliver, not paid to fix dispatch/trace screw-ups

rod

Retired 22 years
Very wise statement, all new drivers need to learn this. If you work extra hard to get off early, they will just give you more stops. Take your whole hour of lunch and work at a safe and steady pace.

This rule don't apply if you work in the "bubble of goodness". Everyone gets done a 5:00 there.

Brownslave688

Yep. The 203 was MUCH tighter, and ONLY 1 split, and I ran it "by head", running it the smart way.

Yesterday was much more spread out, 3 splits (including business in the 8600 section that forced me to break route to not miss). I also ran yesterday "By Edd", and I should point out that the Edd on this route is pretty screwed up.

I'm not a dispatch Sup, so I will not correct the edd, and as such I just run it by Edd. I get paid to deliver, not paid to fix dispatch/trace screw-ups

I had a split of 4 stops in a town 8 miles away from the area they are looped in with. Regular driver said for 3 years they have been asking them to fix it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Regular driver said for 3 years they have been asking them to fix it.

The supe that used to correct all that stuff in my center was transferred to another center. We have not had anything corrected since he left. I would love to see someone visit my center once a quarter or so and fix stuff. That should be a FT gig for someone, go around to every center, once a quarter and fix computer stuff that everyone else is afraid to touch.

Brownslave688

Regular driver said for 3 years they have been asking them to fix it.

The supe that used to correct all that stuff in my center was transferred to another center. We have not had anything corrected since he left. I would love to see someone visit my center once a quarter or so and fix stuff. That should be a FT gig for someone, go around to every center, once a quarter and fix computer stuff that everyone else is afraid to touch.

From what I understand about the system it should take about 2 minutes to change it. Since they love to send drivers to integrad. Why not have some type of two week training for all dispatchers. Before you take the job you go away for some training so u actually have some clue what your doing.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The supe that used to correct all that stuff in my center was transferred to another center. We have not had anything corrected since he left. I would love to see someone visit my center once a quarter or so and fix stuff. That should be a FT gig for someone, go around to every center, once a quarter and fix computer stuff that everyone else is too lazy to touch.

Fixed!:biting:

UPSGUY72

Your a cover driver you have to adapt and overcome....

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

learn to bitch,, bitch,, and even more bitching... call,, text,, follow around in the morning all involved and bitch,,two types get respect in this game,, the strong stewart and the constant runner who BITCHES....

cantDRthis

In the center Im in they used to load up the runners now managements attitude is if you help them, by getting good numbers, they will help you with reasonable dispatches, except on mondays and fridays when they cut routes and load everyone up.