Rude Awakening

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
When I started at UPS last May. I had the most gung-ho attitude imaginable. I felt it was a positive attitude (your opinion may vary) and I really looked forward to the UPS experience.

I consider myself very lucky to have this JOB - many people are not so fortunate. I don't plan on anything different than UPS for the near future.

It is my (current) opinion that UPS does not encourage enthusiasm. It is my belief that UPS management proactively discourages any form of job satisfaction.

There is a great scene from the movie "Office Space" (I love that movie) where the employee makes the observation that his employ holds absolutely no motivation for exceptional work - that he on a daily basis does just enough work so he won't get hassled.

In my very short experience, this appears to be the modis operendi at UPS.

I get along very well with the other drivers at our center. I talk alot. When I express the above, I basically get the "You have learned well, Luke" speech; it seems everyone I have spoken with has come to the same conclusion.

My pay has been screwed up for 6 weeks - I have netted $26 TOTAL over that time period. My sup, center manager said to me (I kid you not) "I have enough on my plate to worry about, it's not my problem/job, I'm not your bank."

Any enthusiasm I held for this place died right there.

Conversational topic - anyone else have one of those defining moments?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Welcome to our UPS you have found out that you will never get an attah boy and there is no good enough for these people it's like a prison camp with pay!!! they watch you like a hawk and only care about your last stop or p/up go to H.R and get that staightend out, it should be your sups job to help you also but in all defense of him,he is prbaly mentally maxed out like we all are !! get this taken care of Monday moring on the clock before you go on the road!!! that will set off bells !!

Big Babooba

Try the HR person. Ours helped me out when I was out and a week of vacation pay was due me. It came NDA the next day. I really feel for you. I know what it's like not to have a money coming in. I went without a check for 20 weeks in 2007 when Liberty Mutual refused to accept my workman's comp claim. I won, I had a good Boston lawyer. My attorney made their attorney look like a fool.

705red

Browncafe Steward
File an article 17 grievance, paid for time, and file for penalty pay which will give you an extra 4 hours per week until they correct your problem. You are a union employee and have rights, now use them instead of complaining about them.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I've approched my sup reguarding my loop & EDD. This was this past summer...not during peak. He said that "It ain't gonna happen today or tomorrow." Well needless to say nothing has been done about it. So don't ya know, I already have my response for him the next time he questions me about my performance!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Like the Roman soldier said to Ben Hurr as he was beating him with the whipp in the gallows of the ship "row well and live long!!'' lol lol lol

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

No, but I do have a suggestion. Why don't you do like all the rest of the part timers. Don't rely on UPS on a daily basis waiting to see if and or when you will drive. Go get a good full time job. Something you can hold on to till you go driving full time.

I'm not trying to be funny, BBAG. I'm just saying, if you need more money and half the drama, do this. You'll be able to take home all the money you make and can patiently wait to go full time.

On another note. It sounds like you came to UPS looking for something more than just a great job, at a hectic pace. Hand holding and cuddling is something your parents should have done for you while you were growing up. Now it's time to move from the nest and get out there with the big boys.

This means you'll have to deal with all the pressures that arise from being out on your own. Supes have issues of their own, without having to deal with all the issues their employees bring to the job. I'm not just talking about the supes job related issues either. Why don't you try empathizing with some of these people once in awhile, that means jumping into their shoes and seeing the world through their eyes.

You're not the only person with problems.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
That "Star Wars" reference was because of what you just mentioned "I talk a lot" They're saying that to you so you would move on and not bother them.

If I heard you trying to give me that "get enthused" speech I would reply "Get the Hell away from me!!!"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
first i believe what you are posting now, and your posts earlier this year are a direct result of your pipe dream being plugged by the reality of life.

you posted you would accomplish this and that within a short time. you had all the answers. remember?

guess what, you hit reality.

as for the rest of your new post, you deserve what ever dribbles down. if you let them define you and your work ethic, then they have you beat.

i would think that you would be the type that refuses anyone to pigeonhole you, and make your own place. i could be wrong. its hard to tell with all the multiple personalities you have posted under.

d

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

No, but I do have a suggestion. Why don't you do like all the rest of the part timers. Don't rely on UPS on a daily basis waiting to see if and or when you will drive. Go get a good full time job. Something you can hold on to till you go driving full time.

I'm not trying to be funny, BBAG. I'm just saying, if you need more money and half the drama, do this. You'll be able to take home all the money you make and can patiently wait to go full time.

On another note. It sounds like you came to UPS looking for something more than just a great job, at a hectic pace. Hand holding and cuddling is something your parents should have done for you while you were growing up. Now it's time to move from the nest and get out there with the big boys.

This means you'll have to deal with all the pressures that arise from being out on your own. Supes have issues of their own, without having to deal with all the issues their employees bring to the job. I'm not just talking about the supes job related issues either. Why don't you try empathizing with some of these people once in awhile, that means jumping into their shoes and seeing the world through their eyes.

You're not the only person with problems.

Nice Pic.

There was another thread you posted on a couple weeks ago, where you posted a picture of the Naked Cowboy from NYC. I said to myself "Steve is just tossing me a softball here to slam out of the park", but no, I said nothing.

I practiced self control. I actively avoided your threads for the time. I still will. Do the same for me, unless you have something to add.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One time my boss accused me of doing the bare minimum, to which I responded with one of my favorite quotes:
"If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum".

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
File an article 17 grievance, paid for time, and file for penalty pay which will give you an extra 4 hours per week until they correct your problem. You are a union employee and have rights, now use them instead of complaining about them.

Red - I pulled out my contract book - can you explain what that is for me? Explaining here will assist others as well.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Article 17

Paid for Time
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer.
Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time
that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively
released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving
federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the
Employer.

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate
compensation.

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the
workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer
will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or
Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and
fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made
available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second
scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an
additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for
every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.

Errors of less than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees or fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time
employees and overages will be corrected in the following weekly paycheck.
Any grievance settlement not paid within ten (10) working days of the settlement shall entitle the
grievant (s) to a penalty payment as outlined above. The ten (10) working day period shall begin
to run when the Labor Department representative agrees to the settlement, or is notified by the
Union or management team of the settlement. The Employer shall pay a maximum of one penalty
payment for a multi-grievant grievance, which shall be subject to the additional penalties set forth
above for untimely payment, until corrected.

When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s
increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The
notification shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager.
All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation.
Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with
the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the
week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her
pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but
will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day.

All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding tax rate.

Paycheck stubs will show the year-to-date vacation, sick and personal leave balances.​

drewed

Shankman
Red isnt there a time limit of filing a grievance on this, like hed be able to do the past two weeks but not the first 4 (for the penalty pay)?