Rules For Radios In Building?

Here in Florida they told us no radio's or fans. Nothing can be plugged into an outlet, it must be hard wired. We all got together and said fine if we can't plug anything in neither can they. No clerk work stations, no soda or ice machines, no portable lights when lights go out in loading bays etc. Needless to say we still have our radios. Power of many!!!!!

BrownCarWasher

I had my radio connected to one of these:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Maintenance_files/shockbuster.asp

I just think the rule is arbitrarily applied to radios because here we have water coolers, battery chargers, vending machines, computers, printers, etc. connected to electrical outlets scattered throughout the center. Some areas have a computer AND water cooler connected next to each other. Why even have electrical outlets in the bldg. if you can't use them?

Anyway, I'm wondering what would be best for portable power . . . 8 rechargeable "D" size batteries or a big portable power pack? Can the portable power pack withstand being charged up on a daily basis and will it provide enough power to last for 9 hours a day?

UPS Lifer

Here in Florida they told us no radio's or fans. Nothing can be plugged into an outlet, it must be hard wired. We all got together and said fine if we can't plug anything in neither can they. No clerk work stations, no soda or ice machines, no portable lights when lights go out in loading bays etc. Needless to say we still have our radios. Power of many!!!!!

The "power of the many" has nothing to do with it. Your management team has decided not to do anything about it. That is it in a nut shell!

When you work for ANY company, it is not rule by a democratic process in the sense that you have a vote on business processes and procedures. The owner or manager or chief operating officer of the company makes those decisions.

Just be prepared that at some point, someone will address the issue in a way that may not be to your liking.

Here is another saying ... "if you live by the sword be prepared to die by the sword." LOL!

HazMatMan

I'm a six-year, full-time 22.3 combo worker who spends 9 hours M-friend inside the center. During this time, I've been listening to my Sirius satellite boombox while I work. Everyone loves it, including management, fellow employees, etc.

However, I was recently informed by a regional CHSP supervisor that my radio could ONLY operate on batteries. It's the first time anyone's ever mentioned this to me. This boombox would need 8 "D" batteries which I'm sure it would burn through quite quickly as well as $$$ to replace them.

I couldn't find anything specific in the Teamsters contract, except that drivers are allowed to have transistor radios in their package cars. Are there any documented "official" rules about operating radios in the building, and why can UPS have computers plugged in all over the center but they require radios to operate from batteries? Thanks for any helpful info.
It's like that in my building too, something about the plug having to be "hard wired" or something. I guess it has something to do with the electrical currents or something. They replaced most of the fans for that same reason also..This is what I heard, it is not what I know..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Billyop

IT is not something your center has a choice over. It is a company wide ruling. And no where does it say your radio will be allowed if it is hard wired. That is not the case. Water coolers do not pose a shock hazzard when you sweat on them, nor do keyboards. But radios are a different matter.

The action has followed several employees being killed when they bent over the radio, or reached up to change channels and got fried because they were sweat covered. That is the reason, pure and simple. It is a serious safety issue. And UPS will put a stop to it in your center, sooner or later. And I hope it is not after one of your fellow employees gets killed by stray voltage.

Use battery packs that can be recharged, or use one like the dewalt that has a recharger built into it. It charges the battery for a 12+ hour day within a half hour or so. I always left it plugged in overnight, and it was ready to go in the AM.

So like Lifer posted, it will change, only when is at issue.

d