Rules on fighting??

chester farmer

Friday night 2 of the guys on my belt decided to risk there top wage, high senoirity jobs with an all out brawl. I was standing 20 feet away breaking a jam when they went at it and did not see the first punch but quickly jumped in and stopped them and called my full time sup. They were both fired. The full time sup told me that "it didnt matter who punched who they both swung at each other so they both get canned. If someone ever swings at you dont fight back because you will be fired. " That makes zero sense to me. I am not a fighter at all and have never actually been in a fight. But I played football in school and continune to play soccer and at 6ft 220 lbs dont plan on being anyones punching bag. Is this actually the rule or what? How can you think anyone is just going to take a few punches in the face?

High Side

A fellow unloader attempted to engage me and I was willing to be hit for this guy to lose his job. This guy had many issues and was known in the primary as a person who easily blows his stack. We were in each others faces and he was yelling at me "I don’t care if I lose my job." Fortunately for me I called his bluff.

PS, please I'm not trying to come across as a hard ass, I stick up for what I believe.

PPS, he resigned.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
As far as I know as long as the other party throws the 1st punch you can defend your self.(Who would stand there and keep on getting hit?)

over9five

Staff member
I think you could make a solid case at panel for defending yourself when someone attacked you. You can't fire someone for defending himself. (Well, you can, but that person will get their job back).

<I even smell backpay!>

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you could make a solid case at panel for defending yourself when someone attacked you. You can't fire someone for defending himself. (Well, you can, but that person will get their job back).

<I even smell backpay!>

I'd like to play devil's advocate for a second. While I do agree that you should not be punished for physically defending yourself, what if your words or actions provoked the fight? Would you still agree that only the employee who threw the punch should be gone? If so, I have this one jerk of a co-worker I would love to see hit the bricks.

stringerman85

UPS is a place where you can really run your mouth, Use all types and languages and raise your tone with somebody (Even with the part time sups), Happens here and there with people, Everyone there gets pissy once in awhile with another co-worker....But as long as you dont throw any punches or make any physical contact what so ever you're ok....Stay away from trouble

over9five

Staff member
I'd like to play devil's advocate for a second. While I do agree that you should not be punished for physically defending yourself, what if your words or actions provoked the fight? Would you still agree that only the employee who threw the punch should be gone? If so, I have this one jerk of a co-worker I would love to see hit the bricks.

Excellent scenario. Workplace violence doesn't even have to be a fight.

At a business I used to deliver to, there was a woman who would spread rumours and tell lies about her co-workers. Well, she told a whopper about one guy that worked there. They met to discuss it with their boss. During the discussion, he raised his voice making her cry.
He was fired for workplace violence.

I think the situation you described would have to be decided case by case. If I were pressed to answer, I would say only the person who threw the first punch should be terminated. No matter how bad the words or actions of the one employee, the other should have had the sense not to become violent.

Are you planning to goad someone into hitting you, Upstate?!?!? Please post back after, and let us know what happens!

More than likely it was 2 guys in each other faces. Then one pushed or punched the other and the fight broke out. That's not defending yourself. Defending yourself would be if one guy came after the other guy. There must be a witness or after interviewing both parties you could get the gist of what happened.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Both would have had their jobs back, if at all removed, if the 3rd party here the thread author, hadn't been a puss and reported it to management. I hate to say that, too, but there comes a time where maybe the 3rd party should lose his job as well for ratting out other union brothers and sisters?

Often times fights break out, they're resolved or broken up, then both parties say they were wrestling or whatever excuse.

I doubt it was necessary to call a full-time sup, and that is the reason both were fired and probably now have no discourse. Obviously the right thing to do is try to get in between them and get others involved to break up the unnecessary violence.

Was it worth both of their jobs? I doubt it. Did they deserve to lose their jobs? Yes. Do they deserve them back? Who knows. But they didn't deserve to be ratted on by a brother.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Along the same line...........I have a female co-worker ( worker is used very lightly) who demanded that I ( being senior ) do all her work for her. Basically she just wanted to sit around chatting & reading her book. I told her politely to K... my .ss. Her reply was that she was insulted & threaten to call the employee harassment hotline about my sexist behavior. I called there first, telling them what she was planning to do. Thus ending any chance she had of making up wild stories against me.

Overpaid Union Thug

Doesn't the contract state that "unprovoked" violence won't be tolerated? The keyword here is unprovoked. If someone finds themselves backed into a corner and being attacked then they shouldn't have to duck and cover to avoid being fired.

chester farmer

Both would have had their jobs back, if at all removed, if the 3rd party here the thread author, hadn't been a puss and reported it to management. I hate to say that, too, but there comes a time where maybe the 3rd party should lose his job as well for ratting out other union brothers and sisters?=quote]

1st off if you got 2 guys throwing it down and drawing blood your responsibility is to report it. Save the no snitching for the gangs. Perhaps this is what is wrong with America to day. Attitudes like the one you just stated. While they were both fired I think in reality the police should have been called and they should have been charged. Anywhere but UPS and they would have been arrested. The fact that they stand a good chance of getting there jobs back is also ridiculous. Do I believe in Union Brothers and Sisters? absolutely. Are 2 people fighting my union brothers and sisters? absolutely not. They are a disgrace to all unions and should be treated as such. I have held several union jobs as a firefighter and strongly believe in the brotherhood . Guys I have fought and cried with. Friends who have been killed. Grown men who command a hug and beer on site even though we dont see each other but every few years. We depended on each other and risked our lives for each other. That is a true brotherhood union. where you depend on each other . But even in that there is discipline and order that WILL be followed. if you fight there you are fired. And your vacancy puts others at risk .. A union of box stackers is based entirely on job protection and personal gain. No one needs another to save lives and the person beside you changes daily. The brotherhood is not nearly as strong because a sprained back is about as dangerous as it gets. You have no personal talent that cant be quickly replaced and your absence puts nobody at risk. Even more reason to kick you to the curb if you cant follow the rules.