Rumor has it

ManUtd32780

that Fedex is working on Christmas Day in my area to catch up with the delayed packages in transit due to the storms. Anyone else hear this? Can they force us to work on Christmas Day as well?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

that Fedex is working on Christmas Day in my area to catch up with the delayed packages in transit due to the storms. Anyone else hear this? Can they force us to work on Christmas Day as well?

FedEx has done this in the past and, yes, if the situation warrants we could be working as well. You have to consider just how expensive that would be for the company. Holiday pay plus either 1.5 or 2 x our hourly wage. Things will be cleaned up and this will not be an issue IMO.

over9five

Staff member
Holy Mackerel. What a despicable company to force that many people to work on Christmas Day.

I will REFUSE any package that any shipping company tries to deliver to me on Christmas Day.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Gee, I worked one Christmas morning. Way back in 88'or 89. Our center had about 15 packages come in late on Christmas Eve, and the center manager asked for volenteers to work Xmas day. As my family is all grown up, and we wern't opening gifts and eating till late in the day, I took the easy money. Delivered 5 stops, drove about 200 miles, got a free breakfast, and made a young man xmas.

reydluap

I too have work a Christmas and a few Saturdays before Christmas. Weather related troubles caused the Saturday delivery. But like Old Int', we had a few missed air packages that needed delivered in the late 80's. I would have done it without pay, the reward for seeing the happy faces was priceless. I wore a Santa hat and at one home I delivered a little girl a Barbie House. Great memories...................

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx usually keeps a volunteer list in case people are needed to work Christmas Day. If the weather is bad or if they've got freight backed-up in the hub(s) they will "ask" really hard and try to guilt-trip couriers to come and deliver. The other alternative is to not deliver, but keep the stations open so people can come down and retrieve their pkgs from the 5,000 or so stacked-up and rotting out on the warehouse floor, which means you get to go out and look for it while the unhappy customer fumes at the counter.This is not fun, but some people actually understand the situation and realize FedEx can't control the weather (yet).

StopTheAct

ill work... who cares!! I wouldent Mind helping out Santa!!
seriously.... if peoples chrismas gifts are Delayed. i have no problem.. Sign me up..!!!

iruhnman630

I believe the contract forbids forced work on a scheduled holiday, or any other scheduled day off (such as saturdays) particularly without a one-week notice.