rumor mill

1989 is right. Even IF this rumor was true, your giving up the next three or four raises will not stop the layoffs. The bottom line is UPS is going to keep dispatching just under 9.5 days that actually take 10-11 hours to do. If the volume drops to a point where that can't be done, some route will be taken out and a driver laid off regardless of how much drivers are paid. Making concessions of the wage will not keep anyone working.
If the request for such talks are even being requested by UPS it is because they are wanting to take advantage of the scare factor.

over9five

Staff member
1989 is right. Even IF this rumor was true, your giving up the next three or four raises will not stop the layoffs. The bottom line is UPS is going to keep dispatching just under 9.5 days that actually take 10-11 hours to do. If the volume drops to a point where that can't be done, some route will be taken out and a driver laid off regardless of how much drivers are paid. Making concessions of the wage will not keep anyone working.
If the request for such talks are even being requested by UPS it is because they are wanting to take advantage of the scare factor.

Good post. I agree 100%.

Omega man

UPS made over 4 billion last year? You people who would give your raises back are probably the same ones who voted for this pathetic contract. Luckily for the rest, you can't. This is a binding contract. God help you!

FAVREFAN

I'm not giving up my .35c. It almost buys me a coffee out of the vending machine. I need my coffee. Seriously though guys.....you think the company would lay off any less employees if we gave up our .35c raise? No way. They would lay off the same amount and laugh their asses off at us. Don't be suckered.

UPS made over 4 billion last year? You people who would give your raises back are probably the same ones who voted for this pathetic contract. Luckily for the rest, you can't. This is a binding contract. God help you!
I take exception to that statement. To repeat something I have said in another thread following a statement much like this one. The company had us (central states) under a barrel, it was either accept this contract or have the federal government take over the administration of our retirement. Trust me, NO ONE would want that to happen.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I take exception to that statement. To repeat something I have said in another thread following a statement much like this one. The company had us (central states) under a barrel, it was either accept this contract or have the federal government take over the administration of our retirement. Trust me, NO ONE would want that to happen.

That would have ended up like Social Security.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No one in the CS.

No offense but I could care less what happens to the CS, which is why I voted no and also questinoed why that mess was included in the national agreement. Everyone is different.

No one in the CS.

No offense but I could care less what happens to the CS, which is why I voted no and also questinoed why that mess was included in the national agreement. Everyone is different.
Why CS problems are included in the NMA I have no idea. But that is the only reason I voted yes.

I'm not sure many people (if any) would vote in a manner that they know full well will be detrimental to their retirement or anything that will make their life much harder. Some may call that selfish, but but I call it self preservation and that is also human nature.

A

anonymous6

With all due respect, I can't believe some of you people. What did this co. make last year in profits? $4,000,000,000 or more?

What do you think they are doing with this money ? They are buying real estate and making capital expenditures at deflated prices. even if they banked all of it they would earn 200 million on interest alone.

When the economy comes back, and it will, UPS will be stronger.

And you are thinking about giving back your $14 a week raise?

As for helping lower seniority drivers, I disagree with that too unless it is a win-win. That is i wanted the day off anyway.

i worked my way up from the bottom just like everyone else. Nobody puts food on my table or pays my bills except myself.

Sure , I feel bad for drivers that may be back in the hub but for years i was telling everyone to live on 40 hrs pay and not 60. Everyone was buying Harleys, Rvs, Extra cars and toys . I told people to save for a rainy day and it's not fat all the time but hardly anyone listened.

Hell, it was only 6 years ago when times got a little lean after 9/11. In Feb. of 2002 I worked in the building for a couple weeks after all my years in feeder.

Our family is in pretty good shape cause i have always banked all the OT, maxed out the 401 k and always paid cash for everything cept the house.

UPS is a pretty smart co. They are not hurting that bad. Show me a couple quarters or a whole year in the red and maybe I'll change my thinking.

rod

Retired 22 years
With all due respect, I can't believe some of you people. What did this co. make last year in profits? $4,000,000,000 or more?

What do you think they are doing with this money ? They are buying real estate and making capital expenditures at deflated prices. even if they banked all of it they would earn 200 million on interest alone.

When the economy comes back, and it will, UPS will be stronger.

And you are thinking about giving back your $14 a week raise?

As for helping lower seniority drivers, I disagree with that too unless it is a win-win. That is i wanted the day off anyway.

i worked my way up from the bottom just like everyone else. Nobody puts food on my table or pays my bills except myself.

Sure , I feel bad for drivers that may be back in the hub but for years i was telling everyone to live on 40 hrs pay and not 60. Everyone was buying Harleys, Rvs, Extra cars and toys . I told people to save for a rainy day and it's not fat all the time but hardly anyone listened.

Hell, it was only 6 years ago when times got a little lean after 9/11. In Feb. of 2002 I worked in the building for a couple weeks after all my years in feeder.

Our family is in pretty good shape cause i have always banked all the OT, maxed out the 401 k and always paid cash for everything cept the house.

UPS is a pretty smart co. They are not hurting that bad. Show me a couple quarters or a whole year in the red and maybe I'll change my thinking.
I don't know how long you have until you retire but you are on the right track. Save -Save - Save There is nothing wrong with having a toy or 2 but a person really can live without a lot of them.. -at least until you retire ( as early as possible I might add) .