Rumor some big accounts going to fed ex.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Again, drivers are trained by mgt. for minimal contact time. Drivers are given minimal allowances. Methods...right? Your insinuation is this is a drivers fault. It is mandated from above.

Wanted to reply to this earlier.....

YES, it is the driver's fault if the excuse is "my supervisor/center manager said to be this way" when it is clearly wrong. As some have pointed out when it comes to mgmt pushing things they ought not 'no one has gotten fired for doing their job'. It is our job to drum up leads and maintain customer contact. I have no problem doing such and defending it when such things are brought up. Allowances are not an excuse to waste a shipper's money by refusing a viable package any more tham it is a reason to sort off the clock or skip your lunch to make your time better; the only difference is the benefits of the latter two are more tangible to many than the former.

The directive from above is not to give shoddy service. It is not to be rude. It is not to be cold. It may seem that is the only way to be but from experience I can say it is not. I am not even trying to imply the drivers are the main reason we are losing accounts, but it sure doesn't help.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
There is a top Fed Ex sales rep who lives on my route. We have talked on many occasions about the competitive nature of our pricing. Actually she has admitted that at this point there is no account that Fed Ex can beat us on due to pricing. She has explained that she will go in to sit down with a executives from a company and try to show them some sort of total pricing advantage form that Fed Ex uses. Subsequently UPS will counter the offer. Basically she explained that when it comes down to it it's basically rather or not a company likes Fed Ex or UPS. She has stated though that its a lot harder than you realize to get a company away from UPS. Also side note. She has said that company's like On Track are much more dangerous to Fed Ex and UPS then each other.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Sure more time with the family is worth it in the long run, but I fear too many people have come to depend on this additional money.

That would be poor personal financial planning and there's nothing to be done for it. I know plenty of 100k drivers that are poorer than 36k part time me. If you don't learn to live within your means, you're going to be bankrupt really soon.

Overpaid Union Thug

I guess the rumors are true. I have an Amazon shipment on the way and is coming FedEx Smart Post. Usually comes through the mail or UPS (rarely). Bummer! I guess we'll see massive route cuts nation wide soon. Well, in addition to the normal route cuts we normally see in January.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have had plenty of amazon deliveries over the last month, including a 47in TV delivered via FedEx. By my count I have now had 9 UPS/Sure post, 4 FedEx/Smartpost, 2 Straight FedEx, 3 Straight UPS. I'd like to add I'm a prime member and during the past couple months they have been offering 1-3 dollar credits if you choose "no rush" delivery which means it gets here when it gets here. By default prime is free 2nd day delivery. I believe this might have something to do with these rumors as well.

Brokedownandbrown

Amazon wants same day shipping, and not changing their shippers. Fed-Ex could not handle all or 60% of Amazon shipping.
Amazon is going to try same day with a couple of companies trying go gain this profitable service.
Fed-Ex management using smoke and mirrors on some employees.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have had plenty of amazon deliveries over the last month, including a 47in TV delivered via FedEx. By my count I have now had 9 UPS/Sure post, 4 FedEx/Smartpost, 2 Straight FedEx, 3 Straight UPS. I'd like to add I'm a prime member and during the past couple months they have been offering 1-3 dollar credits if you choose "no rush" delivery which means it gets here when it gets here. By default prime is free 2nd day delivery. I believe this might have something to do with these rumors as well.
Ive always gotten most of mine through USPS and an occasional UPS. Not this time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amazon wants same day shipping, and not changing their shippers. Fed-Ex could not handle all or 60% of Amazon shipping.
Amazon is going to try same day with a couple of companies trying go gain this profitable service.

i just don't see the same day service going over that well.

bluehdmc

I ordered 2 things from Amazon over the weekend, one being fufilled by Amazon, the other direct from a "partner" or whatever, both coming UPS.

Returntosender

E-bay recently started to offer same day service in certain cities. Their is a podcast on Market Foolery where they talk about it. Amazon could be trying to follow that model. MarketFoolery: 12.10.2012

Posted: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:21:25 +0000 MarketFoolery

Last edited:

onehandsolo

I had a ton of amazon today. I would estimate that 30 percent of my 400 pieces were amazon. Many of them were 1 day savers. I don't think fed ex could handle the amazon volume I have seen in the charlotte nc area. I think location has a lot to do with how amazon ships packages. Also 80 percent of my family's amazon packages come ups.

ocnewguy

Funny about the amazon...saw a fairly large jump this week in amazon. all ups 2 day from the nevada fulfillment center. everything i've ordered from amazon recently has been OnTrac or Fedex HD. Same delivery area NV->orange county. same free amazon prime shipping option...different end results?

tranham

Just a note that last week FedEX told Amazon here in TN that they could not handle any more volume. Amazon asked us to take up the slack. Also FedEX had screwed up Macy's bill in the fall. As a "we are so sorry" FedEX gave Macy's free shipping for all of December.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a note that last week FedEX told Amazon here in TN that they could not handle any more volume. Amazon asked us to take up the slack. Also FedEX had screwed up Macy's bill in the fall. As a "we are so sorry" FedEX gave Macy's free shipping for all of December.

There is a real cost of doing more with less!

Overpaid Union Thug

When the Amazon centers opened in the Chattanooga area and Lebanon I would see Amazon boxes from their. After a few weeks it stopped. Now they are all from Kentucky again.

W

want to retire

Wanted to reply to this earlier.....

YES, it is the driver's fault if the excuse is "my supervisor/center manager said to be this way" when it is clearly wrong. As some have pointed out when it comes to mgmt pushing things they ought not 'no one has gotten fired for doing their job'. It is our job to drum up leads and maintain customer contact. I have no problem doing such and defending it when such things are brought up. Allowances are not an excuse to waste a shipper's money by refusing a viable package any more tham it is a reason to sort off the clock or skip your lunch to make your time better; the only difference is the benefits of the latter two are more tangible to many than the former.

The directive from above is not to give shoddy service. It is not to be rude. It is not to be cold. It may seem that is the only way to be but from experience I can say it is not. I am not even trying to imply the drivers are the main reason we are losing accounts, but it sure doesn't help.

Who said anything about being rude or cold? Or refusing a "viable pkg"(whatever that means"). I work as directed....right? What is "maintaining customer contact"? In the end, unless the directive is illegal......or unsafe(try defining that)......you better do it. Yes, the fallout can be considerable........we are instructed to work as directed....it is not up for interpretation.......

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Walk into a fast food store, manager says wait a minute while they deal with customers. Driver says , "I can't wait a minute, you have to sign now!" Mgr says, "I can't sign now!" Driver says, "So you are refusing to sign?" "Yes." Driver marks packages refused and returns to shipper. No one refused the package. But many drivers do this, and shippers may take notice. It is wrong, and I will not do that, even if my center mgr directed me to (and none has). That is what I mean by a "viable package".

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Again, drivers are trained by mgt. for minimal contact time. Drivers are given minimal allowances. Methods...right?

Have you heard of the "Five Seeing Habits For Getting A Sales Lead"? Probably not, but is is something coporate came up with, tips on how to gather a lead. It will require more time than shoving a DIAD in someone's face for their signature. You are suppose to-according to corporate-regularly engage your businesses and shippers in CONVERSATION about their shipping needs, time allowances or not. You'd blame mgmt for not allowing you to do this. I just do it,cause I happen to enjoy it, and let the chips at home fall where they may. But I won't lose my job over it.

Whose higher-your oncar, center manager, or corporate?

Your hour lunch and you obeying the speed limit are not going to keep your customers happy and keep them from going to FedEx, but you will-and should-fight for them. Maintaining good relations with the shippers and receivers on our routes is also necessary to our survival. Don't let it be bullied out.

bbsam

Staff member
Your oncar and center manager...until corporate shows up at your building. Immediate threat first and work back.