Rumor that UPS is going to buy UPS company

U

upsdawg

The rumor was that UPS was going to purchase Consolodated Freight---why didn't we?? Was it because there was not enough profit involved---and we could have aquired it in the final days for peanuts-----and had all the equipment and trailers that we needed.

UPS Logistics has the flexibility of using any freight company so there must be a good reason that we did not jump at the opportunity to purchase one.

I think that we are focusing on the profitable freight that can flow through our system without any changes to the infastructure--or any additional costs incurred.

UPS would also be in the same dilima as our current pricing structure---we can't charge any less than our costs so we would not be able to discount low enough to compete with the other non-union freight companies---especially FedEx Freight.

F

feederdryver

Another facet to the freight side of business is the ability to pick-up and ship oversize
palletized merchandise (e.g. machinery), not just LTL shipments.
UPS has not had the ability to ship these types of product economicaly since the days of our furniture division, which faded out sometime during the 50's, I believe. (correct me if I'm wrong Tie). FedEx Freight and FedEx Express currently ship these types of product all the time. If we were to start doing this again, many "cross docks" will have to be built to handle it.

T

tieguy

Agreed Feeder. I think we will buy one eventually. I think we are still looking at the costs associated. I wouldn't be surprised if we were to try to find a way to top off existing feeder movements with the freight to save cost. From my perspective it appears to be a logistics nightmare.

D

dmann69

"LTL" LESS THAN PALLET LOAD. Ring any bells, just another step in that direction.