"Running Over"

satellitedriver

I sometimes do a route that feeds a remote center of 4 drivers. I bring 4 diads to swap in the morning.
Maybe, it's because I am a one man remote center. I know very little about how other satellite routes are handled. Nobody tells me anything and I don't ask questions. I am the only one I know of in my district.

Maybe, it's because I am a one man remote center. I know very little about how other satellite routes are handled. Nobody tells me anything and I don't ask questions. I am the only one I know of in my district.

cool, does that make you center manager too? lol

browniehound

Can someone please clear up something I'm having a hard time understanding? I don't get how satellite centers work. Where is you package car parked for the night? And how does it get loaded?

Sat, you said you were the only Sat. route in your center. Does that mean you meet a feeder driver with your empty package car that you park at your house???? What am I missing here?

Anyway, it sounds like the satellite routes are pretty good.

And I agree with the post before. Why screw up a good thing just to "be by the book" If the practice is not hurting anyone financially then the driver should have just left well enough alone. Being home at 630 as opposed to 815 is a HUGE difference and I would like to discuss my displeasure with the driver who thought he needed to get on his "High Horse"!

Griff

Article 37

The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the
performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all
times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical
condition of the employee.

satellitedriver

cool, does that make you center manager too? lol
I've often wondered that. If something goes south, I might pull that argument out of my hip pocket.
I was told I was a center unto myself, then logic dictates that I am a center manager.
Fat chance I could make the argument stick.
It is the reason no one can bid against me on my route, but I can bid off at bid time.
If they tic me off, I will bid off and let them replace me with the two drivers they would need to cover my route from the center.
The only reason I don't, is that I would have to drive too many miles to get to the center.
Cost of gas and time.

satellitedriver

Can someone please clear up something I'm having a hard time understanding? I don't get how satellite centers work. Where is you package car parked for the night? And how does it get loaded?

Sat, you said you were the only Sat. route in your center. Does that mean you meet a feeder driver with your empty package car that you park at your house???? What am I missing here?

Anyway, it sounds like the satellite routes are pretty good.

And I agree with the post before. Why screw up a good thing just to "be by the book" If the practice is not hurting anyone financially then the driver should have just left well enough alone. Being home at 630 as opposed to 815 is a HUGE difference and I would like to discuss my displeasure with the driver who thought he needed to get on his "High Horse"!
The "in town" driver pulls a trailer from the center with a P8.
Drops it in an alley behind a WalMart. I load my P5 in the alley. I return about 6pm and reload for the evening work. The "in town" driver takes the trailer back to the center with my pickups and my diad. I park my truck in a parking lot at a local tire store. I punch out with ending miles over the phone. They pay the tire store $3.00 a day for my parking space.
Really a simple way to keep from deadheading a pkg car down here and from me deadheading both ways in my personal car.

Drops it in an alley behind a WalMart. I load my P5 in the alley. I return about 6pm and reload for the evening work. The "in town" driver takes the trailer back to the center with my pickups and my diad. I park my truck in a parking lot at a local tire store. I punch out with ending miles over the phone. They pay the tire store $3.00 a day for my parking space.
Really a simple way to keep from deadheading a pkg car down here and from me deadheading both ways in my personal car.
How far is the meet point from your center? If it is say 40 miles, that 80 miles a day eliminated from driving time that you can be delivering more stops. That's why you get up to 100 stops per day. What time does your feed arrive?

browniehound

Sat, thanks for clearing that up for me. That sounds like a great deal. Our hours are long enough and the commute just adds insult to injury. I have about a 30 minute commute to work each day. If could drive to this tire store 5 minutes from my house, I would have an hour per day of my life back and save about $30 per week in gas. I wish they had these in my bulidings!

browniehound

Sat, sorry to bother you with another question, but how does you vehicle get serviced? Do you drive it back to the center occasionally? How do you get PCM'ed? Do you even see a supervisor in a months time?
Thanks in advance.

over9five

Staff member
This "satellite driving" needs its own thread!! (cuz I got more questions too!)

Sat, why don't you take the $3 per day and park it in your yard? Then you wouldn't even have to use your gas to drive to the tire store.

F

fishtrap

We have not had a sup. say a word about running over in about five years, even when some of the better drivers would as much as four hours over. Then all of a sudden this week they went nuggin futs about it. Are we going back to the 70's and 80's when that was the only thing mattered. Has this happened at any other centers?

In our center, mgmnt threatened to bring in guns and kill us, physically assaulted us, beat up one of our drivers and had welts and bruises photographed, slugged and slapped around two of our female workers,and threatened two fedex drivers(and you want these guy's to join our union? How do you figure thats going to happen?). And your worried about "running over"? I'll switch centers with you!!! One day,when our sup had to cover p/u because the stop count was blown out to 183, he pissed off the two premium national customers so bad that I was left to do PR damage control all day!!! And you wonder why we have no reputation left.

satellitedriver

Sat, sorry to bother you with another question, but how does you vehicle get serviced? Do you drive it back to the center occasionally? How do you get PCM'ed? Do you even see a supervisor in a months time?
Thanks in advance.
When my truck needs a PM, the mechanic drives down and we swap trucks, sometimes he comes down on a weekend to do it.
I have been to the center only three times in the last 12 years. Twice, because they didn't send me my paycheck and I had to make a point.
I have never been PCM'ed. When changes occur, I am the last one to know.
I have seen my center manager (on my second one since being a satellite driver) face to face only four times, in 12 yrs.
On road sups, maybe eight times.
BTW, you are not bothering me with questions.

satellitedriver

How far is the meet point from your center? If it is say 40 miles, that 80 miles a day eliminated from driving time that you can be delivering more stops. That's why you get up to 100 stops per day. What time does your feed arrive?
My loading time makes up for the driving time. The savings to the company is the road mile cost of deadheading a pkg car.
I get 100 stops because I have been too #@%* dedicated to doing what ever is thrown at me.
Trust me friend, those days are gone.
I stand in the WalMart parking lot until they get there. Sometimes as late as 10am, with a 11hr day in the trailer.
I call for help on those days.

satellitedriver

This "satellite driving" needs its own thread!! (cuz I got more questions too!)

Sat, why don't you take the $3 per day and park it in your yard? Then you wouldn't even have to use your gas to drive to the tire store.
No, I don't need my own thread.
Please.
I've got enough Brown at my Home and 3 bucks a day would not improve my life.
Ask any question you like.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OMG, Please........................ I want to be a satellite driver. Never see a boss.......be your own center manager. Take your road kill home.......Almost heaven.....:tongue_sm

satellitedriver

OMG, Please........................ I want to be a satellite driver. Never see a boss.......be your own center manager. Take your road kill home.......Almost heaven.....:tongue_sm
Be careful what you wish for.
After reading your posts about where you deliver, I can't blame you for wanting to get out of that hellhole.
Ain't no way I'm eating the skunks/coons/ possums/squirrels I run over.
I make enough money running over them to buy T-bones/ Ribeyes and Top sirloin steaks.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Take me home country roads. ...................
Nah, just the pheasants and deer.
And yes it is a heck hole.
But I would miss the comraderie, although in small amounts of time, its precious.