Rushed to clock out...

theUPSman

When I was finishing up my last truck this morning, the Operations manager came by and told me to hurry up, get the packages loaded, and clock out. It was in an annoyed tone. The driver's first stop is a hospital,and it's very bulky, so it's loaded RDC. Anyway, I only had a few more packages left, 13 minutes until that driver had to leave, and all of this was before I was supposed to be out of the building at 9am.

Why are preloaders rushed? Start time is 4:45am, and I'm ususally out of the building by 8:30. I finish around that time daily.

drewed

Shankman
you must be new! learn PPH
volume/ total hours worked= pieces per hour
all preloads, reloads, local sorts, and some other sorts are guaged in pph
its kind of i planned 300 pph this week, i get 299 i get reamed by the district ops manager about how i cant do my job type thing

even though 13 minutes doest seem like much x that by 40 people working preload thats almost 10 extra hours

tieguy

Banned
When I was finishing up my last truck this morning, the Operations manager came by and told me to hurry up, get the packages loaded, and clock out. It was in an annoyed tone. The driver's first stop is a hospital,and it's very bulky, so it's loaded RDC. Anyway, I only had a few more packages left, 13 minutes until that driver had to leave, and all of this was before I was supposed to be out of the building at 9am.

Why are preloaders rushed? Start time is 4:45am, and I'm ususally out of the building by 8:30. I finish around that time daily.

Welcome to the business of get it done yesterday. The demands start with our customers and of course we have to improve on them from there. Get it loaded quickly and don't make any mistakes then hurry up and get off the clock.
From a cost perspective we generally don't like to have any preloaders on the clock the same time the driver is on. At that point he can finish putting the last couple of packages in his car.

brown bomber

brown bomber
in our center..sometimes the preloader stays..other times not....I just know one thing, a driver loading his or her own truck = overtime...over $40.00/hr.

55andout?

doesnt hurt PPH thoughy :happy-very:
Yes it does hurt pph. If the center is smart they will make the pre-load operation eat the time the driver spends. If they dont then it can be charged to A.M. time and that hurts pph as well.
Bottom line is it hurts the bottom line to have a driver do it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
you must be new! learn PPH
volume/ total hours worked= pieces per hour
all preloads, reloads, local sorts, and some other sorts are guaged in pph
its kind of i planned 300 pph this week, i get 299 i get reamed by the district ops manager about how i cant do my job type thing

even though 13 minutes doest seem like much x that by 40 people working preload thats almost 10 extra hours
Those are guidelines that your higher up sups use to hold you accountable to them. However it measn absolutely nothing to the average worker.

drewed

Shankman
Those are guidelines that your higher up sups use to hold you accountable to them. However it measn absolutely nothing to the average worker.

i know it doesnt, it shoudlnt either
but thats the mind set of the sup saying getting off the clock

brownIEman

in our center..sometimes the preloader stays..other times not....I just know one thing, a driver loading his or her own truck = overtime...over $40.00/hr.

of course, it is more economical for the company to have the preloader loading the packages. However, if the preload has been running slowly, and is not down until 9:15, and the driver start time is 9:00, then for the last 15 min of the preloaders shift, UPS is paying the preloader to load the car, AND paying the driver what will become OT to stand and watch the preloader loading the car. Seen it many, many times.

Simple formula really, if preload runs past driver start time, get the preloader off the clock and have the drivers load the last of the packages. At least then drivers are not being paid to stand around.

And if Driver start time is approaching, "encourage" the preloaders to finish quickly and get off the clock.

paidslave

Welcome to the business of get it done yesterday. The demands start with our customers and of course we have to improve on them from there. Get it loaded quickly and don't make any mistakes then hurry up and get off the clock.
From a cost perspective we generally don't like to have any preloaders on the clock the same time the driver is on. At that point he can finish putting the last couple of packages in his car.

Tieguy and the preload with this attitude, makes sure to leave packages for the driver so he or she can get upset having to load his truck and clean his messy truck with packages all over the place. The driver can come in early on his own time and load his own truck. And like you said make sure the pre-loader is clocked out and nobody knows anything other than the driver is miserable and stupid and the preloader is confused why he has to go home early!

This is a great example of the fundamentals of UPS and IE's logic and things will never change!

Wouldn't it be faster with the loader and the driver getting the truck loaded? Probably but pay the smart drivers that get on the dock at there assigned starting time and pay them $28 dollars for 15 minutes or more to finish the loaders job that gets paid $8.50 and not only is it $28 dollars an hour this will be tacked on as overtime pay and that is $42 an hour for minutes. Now the labor manager is charged for $10.50 for that 15 minutes finishing the load! Happens all too often!

Makes alot of sense to me since I am full time!

I never understood why the preload starts at a time where they just can't finish loading the trucks! Wouldn't it make sense to inform the preloaders that the trucks need to be finished by 8.00 and start them early? They seem to do it
every single time when a big ham comes in for an early a.m.speech?

Hire a fake ham to come in for a speech and we will all be loaded and ready to go!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Don't be rushed. Don't hurry. Do not let management influence your worth ethic. Work one speed, productive and steady. To hell with management and their numbers. They don't care about anyone about themselves, they know it, so don't care about anyone but yourself. If you let them bully you, they'll bully you more. Tell them you're working the best you can. If it's 8:45 or 5:45, just do it.

I did preload, unload, sort, pick everything 4:15-8:15 am for 5 years before I went full-time. I'll tell you right now, they don't care about you or your i. Just go to work, steady and safe, and clock out.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

What do you mean we have to improve on them from there? What does that mean?

The preloader shouldn't be hurrying. Give me a break. Hurry? Hurry = injuries. Hurry = mistakes. Hurry = unfair days work. A human being wasn't made to hurry. Hurry means work faster, slave. Get out of here with that nonsense.

What'dyabringmetoday???

why did you rush him tie guy saftey first or that dont count at end of am shift?
Safety counts when the parade of managers comes in from out of town. That is when the belt slows down, extra loaders are working, the walkways are clear, and you may even see the camera crews around to film one of those excellent UPS safety videos. You may also see these same things occur right around the time the ERI survey comes to town. I am sure a management type person will dispute these claims, but most know that this activity occurs.

drewed

Shankman
What do you mean we have to improve on them from there? What does that mean?
The preloader shouldn't be hurrying. Give me a break. Hurry? Hurry = injuries. Hurry = mistakes. Hurry = unfair days work. A human being wasn't made to hurry. Hurry means work faster, slave. Get out of here with that nonsense.

how does anyone become proficient at anything?
you start off slow and gain speed as you go
somedays it is a rush and my employees find out theyre faster and can be more productive then they thought they could be

Mike Hawk

of course, it is more economical for the company to have the preloader loading the packages. However, if the preload has been running slowly, and is not down until 9:15, and the driver start time is 9:00, then for the last 15 min of the preloaders shift, UPS is paying the preloader to load the car, AND paying the driver what will become OT to stand and watch the preloader loading the car. Seen it many, many times.

Simple formula really, if preload runs past driver start time, get the preloader off the clock and have the drivers load the last of the packages. At least then drivers are not being paid to stand around.

And if Driver start time is approaching, "encourage" the preloaders to finish quickly and get off the clock.
Isn't it cheaper to have the preloader do as much of the work as possible? They get paid half to a third what a driver makes so why not maximize their time on the clock to minimize driver time on the clock? For overall efficiency I think it would be best to have the preloader pull/hand drivers boxes while they load/sort their truck for the remainder of the preload time. They will have to sort it eventually so it makes sense to have them do it while the preload is wrapping up.

drewed

Shankman
Isn't it cheaper to have the preloader do as much of the work as possible? They get paid half to a third what a driver makes so why not maximize their time on the clock to minimize driver time on the clock? For overall efficiency I think it would be best to have the preloader pull/hand drivers boxes while they load/sort their truck for the remainder of the preload time. They will have to sort it eventually so it makes sense to have them do it while the preload is wrapping up.

in a pure economic sense youre right
but in the UPS world it doesnt like a said 299 i dont get yelled at, 301 a get yelled at and asked why i cant do my job

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You are talking logic and common sense. UPS doesnt operate that way. In the UPS world, the preload sup doesnt care about anything except getting "his" people off the clock as fast as possible. His job security depends upon generating a certain number of PPH and nothing else. Whether or not the packages are loaded properly or even make service is irrelevant. All that matters is making the number. Cram 'em in the truck and get 'em off the clock!

theUPSman

I don't care about the preload sup's job at all. I'm not the one that chose the position that isn't backed by the Union. I enjoy preloading, and do the best that I can. If I'm going at a smooth, steady pace making sure I don't get misloads...I'd rather do that than kill myself for these people. I see that UPS expects perfection all the way.

If management wants perfection all the way, they can come load my trucks for me, since they're so perfect. Another thing that doesn't make sense is starting at 4:45am with 780% volume plus Air, expecting us to have everything wrapped up by 8:20am...which is our drivers start time. Whatever though. I still enjoy my job, just not the politics of it!

drewed

Shankman
I don't care about the preload sup's job at all. I'm not the one that chose the position that isn't backed by the Union. I enjoy preloading, and do the best that I can. If I'm going at a smooth, steady pace making sure I don't get misloads...I'd rather do that than kill myself for these people. I see that UPS expects perfection all the way.

If management wants perfection all the way, they can come load my trucks for me, since they're so perfect. Another thing that doesn't make sense is starting at 4:45am with 780% volume plus Air, expecting us to have everything wrapped up by 8:20am...which is our drivers start time. Whatever though. I still enjoy my job, just not the politics of it!

almost 8x the normal daily volume? bulk stops?