Sad Day in the BOG (On Topic---please)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We outlawed synthetic marijuana in my state three years ago after several deaths, I'm surprised its still sold any where else.

MAKAVELI

There comes a time when someone has enough, if it were my child I would hope that I had raised he/she better than that, however if the child had unfortunately gotten wrapped up with bad friends I still feel as if as a parent should love their children while hating the wrong their doing, even if they happen to be a piece of :censored2:.
Just because someone has addiction problems doesn't make them a piece of :censored2:. As human beings, we ALL have faults, and those who cannot recognize their own are the true pieces of :censored2:.

bbsam

Staff member
Tough love doesn't work.

Enabling them and loving them to death doesn't seem to work either.

Any suggestions?
The fact of the matter is that a parent is powerless to do anything and that is a hard and painful lesson for them to learn. That is their baby killing themselves and ruining everything around them. It is as true for the parent as for the addict/alcoholic that if they are to live they will have to find a way to "let go and let God".

trickpony1

Hence the need for support groups.
It seems to benefit those in NA, AA and Veterans groups.

Society is fast paced and getting faster.
The days of Wally and Beaver Cleaver, the Waltons and the Partridge Family are over.
It's understandable that one might need a little something to take the "edge" off.

Hence the concept of "connection" illustrated in this video as well as the concept of "choices" as suggested by a member of BrownCafe.

HardknocksUPSer

People are often a victim of their surroundings. One of my good friends grew up on an Indian reservation where life is tough. Worked his way to college. 4.0 freshmen year in a difficult program. 3.9 sophomore year. Went home that summer and hung with his old friends. Kids that had no prospects and it showed. Spiraled into that underworld. He went from a 4.0 student Freshmen year, to 2 DUI's and an arrest for meth possession by his junior year. He disappears for weeks at a time now.

You can't judge someone based on taking drugs alone. You never know the background they have come from that could caused the abuse.
I came from an abusive alcoholic home, I should beat the :censored2: out of people and drink just like my father just because that's the environment i grew up in? I think not. You are what you make of yourself, respect for yourself comes free.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I came from an abusive alcoholic home, I should beat the :censored2: out of people and drink just like my father just because that's the environment i grew up in? I think not. You are what you make of yourself, respect for yourself comes free.
Choices ... was not a judgement, or a condemnation, but simply an undeniable truth.
Choices is how I always looked at it.
I never looked down on people who had addiction issues but they did make the choice.
I hang with some people who mess with addictive substances but they are still good people, often better (at least to me) than the one's I found at UPS.
Everyone has issues.

I had a choice too ... both my parents are blind and I chose not to be blind. :ohmy:

Your ignorance is baffling me at the moment.
Perhaps "inability to empathize" with other people is a better phrase.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hence the need for support groups.
It seems to benefit those in NA, AA and Veterans groups.

Society is fast paced and getting faster.
The days of Wally and Beaver Cleaver, the Waltons and the Partridge Family are over.
It's understandable that one might need a little something to take the "edge" off.

Hence the concept of "connection" illustrated in this video as well as the concept of "choices" as suggested by a member of BrownCafe.
"hence"
Sounds like Dave !