sad what sups truly believe

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Got a new driver sup in my area. He said everyone in his group will know the safety questions hell or high water. A few things that really stuck out to me when he was going over the safety stuff.

1. He said first we will work on you memorizing them all. Then after you know them all we will work on applying them to your driving.(throughout the day he mentioned many times how safe I was and followed all the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary very well). Problem is I couldn't recite any of it to him so his theory on memorizing first is bogus.

2. He said if everyone could recite all the safety jargon we would not have 17 accidents in our district or whatever we have. Sad part is you could tell in his voice he really believes this. How about 10-12 hour days we have been working in 105 degree heat for 2 months. We got in before 7 and he was throwing a fit it's Friday night I had somewhere to be at 6 blah blah blah. He asked if I minded working late since it was Friday. I said your talking to a seasoned driver by late I assume you mean 8-9 or so. I was off by 7 it was a good Friday for me.

overallowed

Your supe has unreal uxpectations. I think the 5 seeing habits and the 10 point commentary have some very good common sense logic to them, but they are not a cure-all for avoiding injury and auto crashes. The portion of the general public believes the roads were build specifically for them, and we need to stay out of their way. Your supe is like all the others. He has drank the koolaid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Got a new driver sup in my area. He said everyone in his group will know the safety questions hell or high water. Problem is I couldn't recite any of it to him.

No employee has to be able to regurgitate that information on "command".

That was agreed too by the company {on a National Level} several years ago.

UPS is so arrogant.... They try to make employees believe, "they" came up with the 5 seeing habits.

Every trucking company in America.... uses the Smith System.

Smith: Smith System History

-Bug-

Brownslave688

Yeah it cracks me up when I see AGKLM plastered all over the lot at every trucking company you pass by. I know I don't have to know them and I don't really try to waste their time I tell them I know the 5 seeing habits but none of the key phrases or stuff that goes with them and that's all.

This sup also said our center manager wants the driver sups to do a safety ride everytime they are on car not just once a year. I'm certain that will get grieved fairly quick. A lot of stuff has gotten shaken up at my center in the last 2 months it's going to be interesting for awhile.

govols019

You smell that?
Our on-cars do a safety ride when they are on the car for any reason. Been like that for awhile now. Cool with me, I just try to do the job every day like they are with me. That's probably the best advice I've ever received for doing this job.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
My latest favorite is the often repeated rumor that we told Amazon how to do their internal distribution system. WTF-ever.

packageguy

Our building is out of control, if you don't know them they give you a week to learn them. then you are questioned if you don't know them it's a warning letter-- 1 week later you don't know them suspense. then 3rd week notice of discharge. so far so good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My latest favorite is the often repeated rumor that we told Amazon how to do their internal distribution system. WTF-ever.

While I am sure we didn't "tell them" I am also sure that our SCS people assisted them in streamlining their operation.

Now if we could only get them to stop putting the barcodes over the crease.

over9five

Staff member
Our building is out of control, if you don't know them they give you a week to learn them. then you are questioned if you don't know them it's a warning letter-- 1 week later you don't know them suspense. then 3rd week notice of discharge. so far so good.
I assume you must mean they pay you 40 hours to learn them? You did say a week.

I'm not sure how they could issue you a warning letter for not learning them in a week if they didn't pay you the 40 hours to sit in an office and learn them.

We get paid for ALL TIME spent in service to the employer. Grieve it.

Better yet find an independent doctor to say you have difficulty retaining such things in a verbal fashion. Then when they discipline you file a lawsuit for discrimination because of your disability.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
While I am sure we didn't "tell them" I am also sure that our SCS people assisted them in streamlining their operation.

Now if we could only get them to stop putting the barcodes over the crease.

Actually out west they have stopped using ups altogether for any ground pkgs coming out of Seattle, Reno, las Vegas Phoenix ...etc...a company called California overnite has this acct and are doing a decent job thus far. Only pkgsci have seen from them are nda, and some 2day...occasionally a ground from back east. Don't be surprised if they start using small regional carriers in your area soon. Amazon has already stated many times that they need to get their shipping costs in line and they are doing that exact thing....look at the article about same day delivery to lockers....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Better yet find an independent doctor to say you have difficulty retaining such things in a verbal fashion. Then when they discipline you file a lawsuit for discrimination because of your disability.

This is reaching a bit....isn't it?? I would expect ups to use these type of tactics....lol

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if you don't try to memorize them, you're only trying to **** your boss over (your call on that one)
if you don't try to apply them, you're only trying to **** yourself over

the 2nd part is obviously all BS, but that doesn't take away from how legit the first part is

Brownslave688

This is reaching a bit....isn't it?? I would expect ups to use these type of tactics....lol

I told him this is why I quit college my reading skills suck because I'm dyslexic and in turn my memorization skills are terrible. I practice everything just fine physically as far as verbalizing what I'm doing I'm terrible.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I doubt if you know what the sup really "believes" but but you can make observations about his behavior and words.

Companies and corporations buy behavior, as part as part of the package, in the form of compensation.

Very deep and very, very accurate!

To the OP... do you not think Your Sup makes his/her own observations concerning your behavior and your words as they pertain to the methods and your knowledge of the safety rules? Kinda sounds to me like you have a new Sup with some energy, drive and desire....thats not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all!!!!

Look at the positive. If you have shown a dedication to knowing safety and have shown your new Sup that you try to be as safe as possible in following the methods and you unfortunately have an "accident" you may find someone in your corner as a surprising advocate on your behalf!

I am not judging, just saying.